Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

NEW FORGED MOTOR ..... TWIN TURBO Experts COme in!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW FORGED MOTOR ..... TWIN TURBO Experts COme in!!

My new forged motor is about done. I got a new clutch on the way. HEndrix clutch !!

Should I leave the stock clutch in for now with the new braided lines? Might buy me sum time on the stocker clutch.

Or break-in
the new motor and clutch together?

Im afraid it will be difficult to break-in the
motor and clutch together, let alone tune once the
new clutch break-in is done.

thoughts
Old 01-22-2009, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put the new clutch in, I find it hard to break in a clutch properly once the car is tuned. The clutch manufacture will tell you take it easy on the clutch at first. I simply do not have the will power to do that on my own cars and trucks, neither do any of my customers.

It usually goes in and the power is applied to its fullest extent right away lol.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hellbents10
I would put the new clutch in, I find it hard to break in a clutch properly once the car is tuned. The clutch manufacture will tell you take it easy on the clutch at first. I simply do not have the will power to do that on my own cars and trucks, neither do any of my customers.

It usually goes in and the power is applied to its fullest extent right away lol.
note taken, but it sounds like the only reason its hard to break it in, is because of impatience...i just spent alot of money and dont wanna get in a hurry now and **** it up!? ya dig
Old 01-22-2009, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right, I am smelling what you are stepping in.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I had 22 miles on mine 2 years ago before, an 04 mustang pulled up on me... Lets just say that it got broken in a different way.... and that was with a trex cam and reving to 7800!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
LOL, I had 22 miles on mine 2 years ago before, an 04 mustang pulled up on me... Lets just say that it got broken in a different way.... and that was with a trex cam and reving to 7800!
and i take it the motor has faired ok!.. btw i was reading ur sig... awesome setup...
Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliment, As far as the clutch went yes it was perfectly fine no problems even sold it after I took the car apart looked brand new. The motor not so good. I shifted from 2nd to 1st at 7800 RPMs with a 9 inch in the car. Needless to say the valves did not last, then neither did the pistons or the heads. Because the valves broke, and pistons pushed the bottoms of the valves vertical into the heads. I was racing a procharged LT1. I think he is on here sometimes. He goes by Ponyhunter.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the compliment, As far as the clutch went yes it was perfectly fine no problems even sold it after I took the car apart looked brand new. The motor not so good. I shifted from 2nd to 1st at 7800 RPMs with a 9 inch in the car. Needless to say the valves did not last, then neither did the pistons or the heads. Because the valves broke, and pistons pushed the bottoms of the valves vertical into the heads. I was racing a procharged LT1. I think he is on here sometimes. He goes by Ponyhunter.
OH God ... that made my stomach a little sick ......sorry to hear that **** .. uggghh
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its all good, just the price you pay for racing.... They make these cool things call 1-2 lockouts now... That sure would have been nice, probably would not have bought them anyways. I consider myself a pretty damn good driver...Just got away from me on that one....LOL anyways back on the subject
Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Launching!

It's not an turbo LSX, but we break in all of our Monster truck motors on track! LOL

I believe they do the initial Cam break in and heat cycle first though, but I do know that we just beat the hell out of our fresh engines... Thats the way I have been told to do it with all of my drag bikes as well... gotta get those rings seated right? hahaha

Never had to break a clutch in other than in a new car though... So cant help you there. Im guessing since the engine is being rebuilt that you dont have another engine in the car to break the clutch in? Cuz thats what I would do if I had the option, do one at a time.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

yep the only way to break the motor in is to put heat into it. Put motor in. Pull up to the line put on trans brake and let her rip. By the time i hit the end of the track usually 2-3 times the rings are seated
Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Its all good, just the price you pay for racing.... They make these cool things call 1-2 lockouts now... That sure would have been nice, probably would not have bought them anyways. I consider myself a pretty damn good driver...Just got away from me on that one....LOL anyways back on the subject
That's what automatics are for. I tried to keep my 6 speed as long as I could, then I wanted to go fast.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
That's what automatics are for. I tried to keep my 6 speed as long as I could, then I wanted to go fast.
Yeah but that was not a forced induction car and it had to be launched at high RPMS or it was worthless
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
STP
Staging Lane

all my stuff was new put it all together strapped it on the dyno, tuned it, and made 1162 at the wheels now its broke in, no problems yet
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Connell
It's not an turbo LSX, but we break in all of our Monster truck motors on track! LOL

I believe they do the initial Cam break in and heat cycle first though, but I do know that we just beat the hell out of our fresh engines... Thats the way I have been told to do it with all of my drag bikes as well... gotta get those rings seated right? hahaha

Never had to break a clutch in other than in a new car though... So cant help you there. Im guessing since the engine is being rebuilt that you dont have another engine in the car to break the clutch in? Cuz thats what I would do if I had the option, do one at a time.
i think it depends on the piston rings you have as to what kinda break in you should be doing, with moly rings you have to beat the **** out of it.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

i just did the same thing few months back...new motor, new clutch, new turbo kit. got it running, went through a few heat cycles....worked on the tune on the dyno and street driving...put a few easy miles on it, about 50 or so, than strapped her back on the dyno and let that bitch sing. hasnt skipped a beat yet.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Right, I am smelling what you are stepping in.

That's funny. I haven't heard that one. My friends say, "Yeah I'm pickin up what you're puttin down"

Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

well i have total seal, steel top rings on diamond pistons...do they require an aggressive break in ?
Attached Thumbnails NEW FORGED MOTOR ..... TWIN TURBO Experts COme in!!-total-seal-rings.jpg  

Quick Reply: NEW FORGED MOTOR ..... TWIN TURBO Experts COme in!!