Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Running a hotchis front stab bar with APS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running a hotchis front stab bar with APS?

Was wondering if anybody was running the Hotchis front stab bar with their APS TT kit ? I know the front stock one on mine hit on my APS inlet pipes, but i got a great deal on a pair of Hotchis front and rear bars and was thinking of cutting out the section of inlet pipe and putting a turbo hose in there !Im guessing i would have to have a lip of some sort welded on each end of the pipe so as to keep a good seal under boost OR should i just take the pipes to my local machine shop and have the bottoms crushed in alittle or maybe even a innch or so? OR,, LOL!!! Should I just live with the stock front stab bar and call it a day!????Thanks Barnat
PS,I even have the stock rubber inlet hoses to play with being i upgraded to the reinforced ones
It really would have been nice if APS when making these new reinforced hoses would have made them say 5 to 7'' longer to fix this problem for the front stab bar hitting!Thats why the INCON TT didnt have this problem at all,, being it was one long reinforced hose from the turbo to the air filter!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was the intercooler pipes hitting on the sway bar so can't see how the inlet hoses would matter.

If you use good t bolt clamps would think you could just cut the pipes and put in silicone again decent quality silicone. Or use spacer and shorten the endlinks. I currently have my front sway bar off and do have the hotchkis one and my car is dropped about 3/4 inch with slp eibach springs.The handling is not that great with no bar and my car is street not drag car so do want to put my nice hotchkis back on there. I also will likely order the inlets rather than dick around but still think should be able to stent the current ones.
Have to figure this stuff out soon. My car will come out of storage hopefully by april 1. I have my one screwed up turbo with the cracked housing to fix up still also.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you could lower the sway bar with some spacers to achieve the clearance needed. I remember a post where Keliente did this on her car not too long ago.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

Originally Posted by ss1
I thought you could lower the sway bar with some spacers to achieve the clearance needed. I remember a post where Keliente did this on her car not too long ago.
My bad guys!!The intercooler pipes hitting from sway bar is what I ment!LOL!!I tryed that allready !! I was good to go untill I talked with Sam Strano and found the the GEO's were all out .You gotta remember my ride is lowered 1.2'' allready,, so to compensate and keep the (Geo's) correct ,you need to drop the end links on the front sway bar that much(1.2'') and now your throwing a 1'' spacer in there which is like dropping the sway bar another 1 or so inches,which is reality is like lowering the car that much more and the only thing left is to lower the end links again and mine were almost touching my tie rod ends by then Which is a NO NO!! around bumpy roads LOL Ill probably remove the intercooler pipes and have em either bent in some more or put a good turbo hose piece in there!was just chimming in to see what you guys have done and to fine the best results
Old 01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do the new APS kits have this same problem or has it been solved? I am looking into getting a new kit and this would definitely be something good to find out first.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would contact aps directly and ask them. I doubt they have fixed the sway bar problem. As said most fix it with shortenting end links and putting in a spacer. It shouldn't need much on a stock sway bar non lowered car.

I guess no kit is perfect you usually have to do some tweaking with just about any kit. At least APS ships out the kit. I got mine ahead of schedule.I lost 2000 bucks to GMR speed the year or so before got the APS kit.

I would also make sure that the new kits are shipping with the upgraded inlet tubes pretty sure they should be.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I read about the upgraded inlet tubes so I just figured they fixed this problem along with it. I have the complete Strano suspension so I might have to plan ahead a little and possible save myself a headache in the long run.

Quick Reply: Running a hotchis front stab bar with APS?