Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Please help - advise me on my build...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help - advise me on my build...

Hi all, I've been a lurker on here for a while, but I'm finally starting to put my project together. A little background: it's a '75 Datsun Z with a widebody kit, to which I'll be installing a blown LSx engine. I currently have a Magnuson MP122 in my garage, so I've been planning on running that one. After driving a couple of supercharged Cobras, I was in love, and although I know that turbochargers are much more efficient and have more potential than superchargers, I loved the low-end torque of the roots blower. This Datsun is going to be my badass, so I don't want to just throw down 500rwhp - I'm aiming for scary ***** to the wall power. She will be my beast.

Sooo...I'm looking at building a 408, or possibly 434 to put the maggie on. A couple of inspirational videos for me:
750hphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4l642TnA2c

950hp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZEBwyTGs9s

One thing about the 950 run was it was made on 100 octane - I'd like to keep this at 93 octane, if possible.

I'm planning on running 315s in the rear, but I still think I'm going to be very traction-limited. I'll probably end up running drag radials. So I've been thinking about my build - should I build a 950 horsepower setup if I can't even hook up? Same goes for 750 rwhp. So that makes me lean more towards a Procharger setup, to which I'll lack the low-end torque that the maggie can provide, but then again, what good would all that torque do if I can't hook up?

In the beginning, I was shooting for 600rwhp, but then this little guy came into play:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...6GT_166599.htm

The car is a 300zx with a 2jz pushing 550 rwhp - he's been tearing everyone up over here. There was an F-body making a little over 500rwhp with an mp112 that got his *** handed to him by this car. The only hope this video gives me is at about 9:37 where a 900rwhp [B]blown[B] viper flies by him.

I'm still at the drawing board of what to put in here. The rear-end is out of a Nissan Armada, and the transmission will be a built T-56, now I just need to figure out how to build the engine. Ideally, I'd like to make 900 at the wheels with the mp122, but it'd be pointless if I can't lay it all down.

I'm familiar with the old-school chevys, but this will be my first LSx motor, and even though I've been searching the archives here over the last couple of years, there's still a lot more I need to learn. I understand there aren't many questions in this post, but I'm looking for advice on the build, and which route I should go. Any tips, or even hope, on laying all the power to the ground, or just stick with a centrifugal? Although turbo would be best, I don't want to go that route with this one. I already have a turbo Datsun, so I'm looking to supercharge this one. I know that there will always be someone faster, but I'll skip the background of the 300zx and me - the important part is I don't want to look at his taillights.

Thanks for reading :-)
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not a FI expert so take what i say with a grain of salt. The roots blower will make way way way more torque than I think you will need for that tiny little car. From what I remember I believe that a 112 will have breathing problems on a 400+ ci motor. If you wanted to use a roots I think a 122 would be more inline. Then there is the whole whipple, KB, MP 122 arguement that i'll let some one more knowledgeable explain. Again not an expert.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Almost any car with 900 rwhp is useless. Esspecially under tired ligght cars with manuals. I did alittle work on a fd rx7 with a heads cam ls1 and t56. With 335 hoosier track tires on it, it was tunbled at speed about 8 weeks latter on the freeway. You could not tell it was an rx7 after that.
It made just over 400.

If you think you can run a 315 low profile tire with 900 rwhp, good luck. You will get beat up on, by the guy with a stock ls1 on a 200 shot with traction and an auto. Will you catch him......sure if you race far enough, and your car stays shiny side up.

I would build it with the blower you have, the power doesnt matter. Your improvements will be in traction and handling. Even if it only makes 500, who cares, they can be real real light, and be a load of fun.

If you want to beat someone in a drag race, ditch the 6 speed, put a 9 inch in it and a real tire.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i where you i would go turbo so you could turn down the boost when you take it on the streets and then crank it up when you want. and if you want to run 950hp on pump gas you will need low CR somewhere around 8.5:1 good luck
Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

1320 - Do you own anything that you haven't turbocharged?? Wow, that's quite a laundry list there. There are a few other people that are laying down serious power with a similar drivetrain setup as mine (IRS, manual tranny). I'm trying to contact a couple of them to get their take on it. One's running a procharger and the other is twin turbo, so the power is still gradual for them. I know that if I want an all-out drag car, it'd be better for me to throw in a 9" rear, power glide, and big-*** turbo. I plan on taking this car to a local circuit track, so I want the manual tranny and IRS. The rear is said to be able to take at least a good 900rwhp, so it shouldn't be a problem. I know that when it's built, I'm going to end up racing this guy, so I'm trying to be prepared for it.

I'm surprised the FD with 335 Hoosiers lost it on the highway. I've been in a head/cam ls1 FD before, and although the power was very impressive, and did a very good job holding its own on the road, it wasn't scary power.

I've even seen sever daily-driven f-bodies and vettes pushing 800rwhp+ on this forum. The datsun is light, but I'm sure once I throw in the much larger drivetrain and finish the cage and subframe welding, it will be around 2800 lbs, which isn't too far from a vette, from what I remember.

Quick Reply: Please help - advise me on my build...