Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whats a good size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good size?

Can someone give me some info as to what size turbo is good for what displacement and what boost presures? I realize there are alot of factors when choosing but maybe some kind of formula for actually determining the size? As always any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Teching In

what size motor do you have? any mods done to the motor? do you have a spare motor? how many miles does it have? if its a stock ls1 run anywhere from a 67mm to a 76mm plenty of turbo obviously the 76mm being on the hefty size=more power
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a calculator that can help you figure out what size and type of turbo would work well for you: http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/index.php
Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94z28lt1
what size motor do you have? any mods done to the motor? do you have a spare motor? how many miles does it have? if its a stock ls1 run anywhere from a 67mm to a 76mm plenty of turbo obviously the 76mm being on the hefty size=more power
a 76mm is not a big turbo at all for a ls1. you could run a 85mm no problem. now when you talk about upping the boost thats a different story.

why dont you let us know what your goals are for the car, budget and is this a dd? we can help you better after you answer those
Old 02-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Teching In

its currently stock internals im planning on running some patriot gold dual springs and some hardened pushrods aswell its not completely a daily driver however i would still like to be able to just start it up and go for a ride to be honest im not sure how the names/sizes of turbos are determined i just have the standard sts turbo which i think is a 60mm and was curious what kind of boost i'd be able to get from that i was thinkin of running around 12psi just lookin to get some feedback from ppl "in the know" before i grenade my car car has 57,xxxmi and is automatic if that makes any difference also i was thinking of raising my rear end gear ratio to build boost at lower rpm its currently 3.42 i was thinking of going with maybe 3.23 or so its also a rear mount turbo and i have a trt front mount if any of that makes a difference

i took a look at that link and im totally lost on how to interpret those charts and im not sure what most of the info they're looking for in the firelds is supposed to come from im not sure where to get that info any help would be great

dont want to sound like a complete idiot about all this im just new to turbos

Last edited by onefastbunny; 02-16-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Teching In

bump for some help please
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know much about the STS setup, but I think a 60 mm rear mount will choke before you get 12 psi on a 5.7L ... I think that would be way off the optimum on the compressor map. More knowledgeable people will probably chime in.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RW99
I don't know much about the STS setup, but I think a 60 mm rear mount will choke before you get 12 psi on a 5.7L ... I think that would be way off the optimum on the compressor map. More knowledgeable people will probably chime in.
would you happen to have a link to a site where i could see different compressor maps the other link in this post i checked out but that site is very confusing to me
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Teching In

please help
Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

If you are planning on using the 60mm turbo - they say only use 5 psi on stock block. Since you are doing some upgrades you can get away with more boost.. plus with meth ud be even better off. i am currently putting in a T67 STS kit myself with 317 heads and a z06 cam .. i'll have better information for you once thats all completed haha. If you are looking to upgrade the turbo you can do searches just by "T67" "T-67" - using a T4. The bigger the hotside number the more power but obviously the more lag will be had to make the power.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastbunny
please help
Lets make it easy stock cube motor low psi a MPT 70 mm will work for you. Is it the best no but it will work and back pressure will be low. Now You can use a 76 on your motor spool will be alittle slow but it wont choke up top. Power goals, with that MPT 70 look for 500-600+ with a built motor and supporting mods.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Lets make it easy stock cube motor low psi a MPT 70 mm will work for you. Is it the best no but it will work and back pressure will be low. Now You can use a 76 on your motor spool will be alittle slow but it wont choke up top. Power goals, with that MPT 70 look for 500-600+ with a built motor and supporting mods.
what size turbo are you running and if you dont mind what mods do you have done that you're running 14psi?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

That turbo calculator doesn't work for rear mounts I don't think. I'd try to help you but I have no clue about the rear mount stuff, I know in the front 60mm is pretty damn small. Around a 76mm should be the sweet spot on stock motor IMO, built motor you can go bigger.

Quick Reply: Whats a good size?