Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

$8 oil restrictor, how to

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $8 oil restrictor, how to

i needed an oil restrictor but could never find a good write up for one. thought a how to thread would help atleast someone. This took me 5min to do.

1.First you need to buy a Nitrous Jet that is the size you need. you can get one for less than $8 from summit racing. i bought a variety pack to safely narrow it down to the one i needed.

2.Take one of the an adapters from your feed line and cut a part of the end off.
before

after

3. next take a drill bit and bevel the inside alittle bit (cell pics, sorry). this is for the jet to sit into

4. put the jet in the adapter

5. And hook up your oil line.

6. Your done. Go drive your car.

I did it this way so i can easily switch to a different size jet if need be. No modifications to the jets are necessary. I have no leaks either.

hope this helps someone
Old 02-13-2009, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very simple but effective....Did you have any sealing problems?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

no sealing problems
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since mine is not threaded where your's is, I bought the flange and it already has it restricted. It was $10 shipped.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Last spring I bought all the necessary parts to do this, including about 10 different jets. Everyone I asked advised against it (HSW, N2Outlet, etc.), so I returned the parts. The concern was a less than perfect seal using the -3AN jet "head" on a sawed-off -4AN fitting. If you never run into any problems, I'm going to revisit this.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this on a couple of nitrous kits without leaking issues.
The nitrous kits were a lot higher pressure than the oil lines
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I did this on a couple of nitrous kits without leaking issues.
The nitrous kits were a lot higher pressure than the oil lines
but who cares or who would notice if a slight amount of nitrous was leaking. i am asuming you did this after the noid?

i did the same thing on one of our cars. it seaped a little every now and then. had to have it really tight or it would leak. so tight it would start to deform the fitting a little.

the only turbo we needed one on was a mp70. i have tried a turbonetics 76, pt88, pt gts72 and none of them needed a jet. just saying i wouldn't bother with a jet at all unless you are having a problem.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tested it and it did not leak. I did take a lot of care to insure the face that had the an bevel removed from was square and polished.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i started with a big jet and had to go down a size. quick 1min change and it was perfect.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
i needed an oil restrictor but could never find a good write up for one. thought a how to thread would help atleast someone. This took me 5min to do.

1.First you need to buy a Nitrous Jet that is the size you need. you can get one for less than $8 from summit racing. i bought a variety pack to safely narrow it down to the one i needed.

2.Take one of the an adapters from your feed line and cut a part of the end off.
before

after

3. next take a drill bit and bevel the inside alittle bit (cell pics, sorry). this is for the jet to sit into

4. put the jet in the adapter

5. And hook up your oil line.

6. Your done. Go drive your car.

I did it this way so i can easily switch to a different size jet if need be. No modifications to the jets are necessary. I have no leaks either.

hope this helps someone
This is an old threas but what jet did you use. Im having the same issue with my Turbonetics 88mm turbo.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Is it a ball bearing turbo charger? If not you shouldn't need a restrictor.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...oil_restrictor
Old 08-02-2016, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you have too much oil pressure, which could blow your seals or wash out the bearings - both of which can destroy your turbo - especially the cheaper chinese turbos - and indeed you would need some form of restrictor
been there
Old 08-02-2016, 03:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

What seal are you talking about blowing? There’s a manufacturer rating of min/max pressure and flow if you buy a “real” turbo. Unless you have a seriously oddball oiling system you should fall within these parameters using a -3 or -4AN supply and no restrictor. 98% of time oiling issues are caused by inadequate drains. Too many noobs jump on the restrictor band wagon when they don’t have decent drains. I’ve run over 100psi of oil pressure on my LS 5.3 (which is beyond reasonable or necessary) and not had an issues with an AN4 supply line, no restrictor, and a ¾” drain. S400 turbo.

If you installed a restrictor and your problems magically disappeared, that doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea. It usually means you aren’t supplying enough oil to your bearings and you’re shortening the turbo life drastically. I’ve yet to see a smoking turbo setup that used a properly plumbed ¾” drain… ever. I’ve seen many poorly setup ½" drains cause problems.

Quick Reply: $8 oil restrictor, how to