Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of my APS drivers hose protector!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of my APS drivers hose protector!!!!

Ever since receiving my APS last summer, it drove me crazy that the steering knuckle was so smashed up against the drivers inlet hose and would tear into it up everytime you turned the wheel Im not sure if this is because i opted for the UMI K member instead of the less built BMR,,, but now that i bought the beefed up APS hoses at $400, it was only that much more sqeezed against my steering knuckle! So this is what I didand it works like a champ and ill never have to worry about the hose again!

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...ing%20knuckle/
Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you epoxied a bearing on to the u-joint, yes?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

WTF!!! is that...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

why didnt you just wrap the hose with an aluminum cover or heatshield??
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this safe???
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Bearing

Originally Posted by ss1
It looks like you epoxied a bearing on to the u-joint, yes?
Yep! Thats exactly what I used! 2 part epoxie and the bearing is nothing but a barrier between the hose and the steering shaft. And to the other guys comment about a sheild of some sort!LOL Allready been there done did that!LOL You can do that with the APS stock hose's, you aint doing that with the reiforced ones LOL Trust me,I spent 3 hours under my ride last week trying to get my stainless leakless clamp around my new reinforced hoses to no avail!This bearing actually fits snug aver the end of the shaft to begin with and if ever it were to ((break))or come off of the shaft ,,,it will just fall down toward the box and not hurt anything with the steering To his his own right !And once in place ,,,this bearing sees nothing more then spinning motion with the shaft ,so theres no other forces on it to ever see it coming off!

Last edited by barnat; 02-16-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

hey thats a great idea...good work!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
hey thats a great idea...good work!
Thanks !!Beats buying new $400 hoses ever 3 or 4 years depending on driving time. Looks alot nicer then a piece of sheet metal wedged down in there that would be more dangerous (IMO)if it were to come loose then this bearing would. Im not even sure if the guys running the BMR K members are having this issue with the steering knuckle rubbing on there drivers side inlet hose or not ? Mine definatly was with my stronger UMI k member which i protected with a stainless, leakless exhaust clamp,and the rubbing was worse!!!once i put on the reinforced hoses!

Heres some pics of what I did before this bearing modification, but wouldnt work with my new stiffer hoses
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...at/APS%20Hose/
The main problem with this is you have to install this clamp after the hose is in place which is a F$#@##@bitch to begin with, with the softer stock hoses. No way its working with the stiffer hoses, because they dont give enough to leave installation room unless you plan on dropping the k member alittle or do while the K member is allready down

Last edited by barnat; 02-19-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: pics
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

barnet, where do i get this bearing?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default VXB bearings

I actually bought and tryed like 5 diffrent bearings before i installed this one .this was the best of all and actually fit alittle snug ,,which was nice for the expoxying
VXB.com and it's a CODE #6809RS and is 45x58x7 mm and was $14.95
good luck guy!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My steering knuckle was rubbing on the inlet hose when I first installed it as well. I noticed it right away when I had someone turn the wheel. I simply clocked the inlet hose where the flat part is at a 45* angle and I have no less than 1/4" of clearance between the inlet and the steering knuckle lock to lock and the inlet hose barely touches the k-member. Did you clock your inlets correctly? They seem correct sitting straight up but they will definitely touch like that. I would be afraid that the bearing touching the inlet might help it collapse shut under boost. Just my .02.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStolen
My steering knuckle was rubbing on the inlet hose when I first installed it as well. I noticed it right away when I had someone turn the wheel. I simply clocked the inlet hose where the flat part is at a 45* angle and I have no less than 1/4" of clearance between the inlet and the steering knuckle lock to lock and the inlet hose barely touches the k-member. Did you clock your inlets correctly? They seem correct sitting straight up but they will definitely touch like that. I would be afraid that the bearing touching the inlet might help it collapse shut under boost. Just my .02.
Im using the beefyer UMI K member and not the thinner recomended BMR !So more then likely im alittle tighter in there!and yes if you have a 1/4 space youde be fine with a bearing. Its pretty thin,, its actually the thinnest one they make (6mm) thick almost 1/4 and if useing the reinforced hoses like i am no worrys at all!
PS ,You know if your worryed about collapsing ,,You can put a thicker style hose clamp around the center of the hose and tighten till the wider sides of the hose are forced outwards a bit and this acts as an external reinforcement or an exoskeleton in sorts.Im a cert A&P aircraft Mech!

Last edited by barnat; 02-20-2009 at 08:14 AM.