Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

(aps) swaybar installation help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (aps) swaybar installation help !!!

Ok,I just searched & read all 100 post about this problem LOL Im putting my stock sway bar on my lowered 1.2'' SS today with new poly bushings . Ive got 1/4 spacers under the bushings as of now and am playing with the end links right now!Whats the min clearace that i can have between the sway bar and the tie rod with the car loaded? Sam Strano said this clearance changes with susp travel and i can bend the tie rod if the 2 are too close! Is this true or bullshit? You would think that the space would stay the same with susp travel beings they both move together!Another question,, LOL What's the min clearance i (need) between the sway bar and the stainless discharge pipe with the car loaded ((ON BLOCKS))for this sway bar not to hit it? On all the post about this, nobody chimmed back in with pics or clearances or tie rod issues Did APS ever redisighn these pipes for us? If so, are they better?and how much? Also ,I was thinking of just cutting out a 4 or 5'' sec of this pipe and putting a silicone hose in there!!!Anybody did this yet and if so,,Any pics ?? I just dont want to lower the swaybar to much and bend my tie rod or not enough and still hit the pipe1
thanks guys Barnat
Old 02-20-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pics

OK,Ive got 1/4 spacers under the bushings and cut the stabilizer spacer to 1 '' and from the pics youll see i can get almost 2 fingers on the drivers side and barrly 1 on the passanger side between the sway bar & tierod.Is this normal or did UMI weld my steering rack mounts in the wrong place or am i missing something else here?Thanks Barnat

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...at/tie%20rods/
New pics for you guys Is my rack off?
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/tire%20rod1/

Last edited by barnat; 02-20-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Alvin@tick, who made the first batch of spacers, said he used 2 3/8 sway bar links (part# 9.8125 from energy suspension) and it worked perfectly...i just ordered a set myself and am awaiting their delivery so i can put my stock sway bar back on. ill check my clearance and chime back in when i have it.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TNTramair
Alvin@tick, who made the first batch of spacers, said he used 2 3/8 sway bar links (part# 9.8125 from energy suspension) and it worked perfectly...i just ordered a set myself and am awaiting their delivery so i can put my stock sway bar back on. ill check my clearance and chime back in when i have it.
Thanks, I just cut and used the stock spacers on my new end links because i didnt want to cut the new Energy Suspention ones untill i was sure !!Did you see the pics ??I think UMI screwed up my steering rack mounts !Even in the pic it looks like its tilted ,,,Doesnt it??
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the rack mounts look tilted.
I wouldn't put any silicone couplers in there, just another place for the intake to suck shut.
everybody knows that is already a problem with this kit.

best thing to do with the front sway bar is to take it off! j/k I know that's not for everybody, but it's something I never had to worry about b/c my car hasn't had a front sway bar in years.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
yes, the rack mounts look tilted.
I wouldn't put any silicone couplers in there, just another place for the intake to suck shut.
everybody knows that is already a problem with this kit.

best thing to do with the front sway bar is to take it off! j/k I know that's not for everybody, but it's something I never had to worry about b/c my car hasn't had a front sway bar in years.
Its charge pipe that i would be cutting a sect out of and hoseing with double T clamps. It would be nice if i could send em somewhere and have a lip put into the ends like APS did! Im pretty sure my K member steering rack mounts are off and is the reason im having a hard time lowering this sway bar without it hitting my passanger side tie rod! Heres some pics
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/tire%20rod1/
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, I thought it was an intake pipe. Believe it or not I haven't had a single reason to look at any of that stuff since I put the kit on and worked all the initial bugs out.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Ah, I thought it was an intake pipe. Believe it or not I haven't had a single reason to look at any of that stuff since I put the kit on and worked all the initial bugs out.
Wished i was you. LOL Thanks Barnat
Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah its not inlet pipes its intercooler pipes and they will be under boost not vacuum. They will not suck shut but nice to have beaded to keep them from possibly blowing off.
I think the silicone sections are good fix for this but spacers and end link moddding are maybe ok although we here differing opinions on that. All I know is not crazy about no front sway bar.I like my big hotchkis and with the power my car has and can have I want a front sway.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:36 AM
9 Second Club

wow that k-menber looks off
its not this hard i have about 1.5in and it has been fine
FYI
Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like this tilted steering rack has been one of the reasons my steering knuckle was rubbing on my inlet hose on the drivers side too! When i move this passanger sidesteering rack mount down ,,,it will pull the box and knuckle away that much from the inlet hose now!! At less i found the problem Im the man LOL You gotta laugh about **** like this !!if not??you'de find yourself listing your car for sale !Right?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

LOL so ture man
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by barnat
Looks like this tilted steering rack has been one of the reasons my steering knuckle was rubbing on my inlet hose on the drivers side too! When i move this passanger sidesteering rack mount down ,,,it will pull the box and knuckle away that much from the inlet hose now!! At less i found the problem Im the man LOL You gotta laugh about **** like this !!if not??you'de find yourself listing your car for sale !Right?
id burn my **** to the ground before letting someone else enjoy my hard earned money sweat and tears..lol.

Quick Reply: (aps) swaybar installation help !!!