Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spraying the Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Spraying the Intercooler

Anyone do this? I have a 15lb NOS bottle that I was thinking on spraying the intercooler. There are also kits for this. Anyone try it and what gains are there?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On a hot day i could see wear it might help a little. Nitrous is extreamly cold and after a pass or two a intercooler can get hot. The kits may be more affective since they are spraying nitrous across the surface of the cooler as air is cycling throw it but i dont think you would see any real gains. I would probably sell the bottle and save the money you would spend on a sprayer and buy a meth or alky kit wear you will see fair improvements.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Spray the nitrous in the motor not in the intercooler.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

It would help lower IATs, ive seen a lot of dyno queens spray the intercooler to make more power. But yeah, like the guys above said, it would be a lot more useful in the motor to lower the IATs.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Relocate the air intake so that it is behind the intercooler for maximum effect.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
Relocate the air intake so that it is behind the intercooler for maximum effect.
I get your point but that would generally be a bad idea.

To the OP, it would be cheaper and more effective to spray a water or water/alcohol (not meth, too corrosive) mist on the front of the IC during the run. Just watch out at the track - they don't like fluids dripping from your car on the line... a Hobbs switch would be easy to wire in so it turned on at a certain boost point.

Jim
Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

would it be cheaper to just spray co2 on the intercooler
Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT

To the OP, it would be cheaper and more effective to spray a water or water/alcohol (not meth, too corrosive) mist on the front of the IC during the run. Just watch out at the track - they don't like fluids dripping from your car on the line... a Hobbs switch would be easy to wire in so it turned on at a certain boost point.

Jim
As the guy who may some day be making a pass behind you, PLEASE do not spray any fluids on your IC during the run. If I hit the wall and die, I will come back to haunt you.

A Nitrous spray bar will lower your IATs when spraying on the intercooler. You have the line, the solenoid, and the bottle. Build aspray bar and be done with it. And, Nitrous goes from a liquid to a gas and will not leave puddles on the track.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
8 Second Club

Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
As the guy who may some day be making a pass behind you, PLEASE do not spray any fluids on your IC during the run. If I hit the wall and die, I will come back to haunt you.

A Nitrous spray bar will lower your IATs when spraying on the intercooler. You have the line, the solenoid, and the bottle. Build aspray bar and be done with it. And, Nitrous goes from a liquid to a gas and will not leave puddles on the track.
When I say spray I mean a mist from some type of multipoint bar like your nitrous sprayer. I don't mean like a windshield washer squirter. I totally agree that a properly set up system shouldn't drip or dribble.

If you must use gas, consider a simple CO2 bottle, since filling it is way cheaper than nitrous.

I have enough ghosts - don't need another

Jim
Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Spray nitrous in the motor or not at all. If all you want is lower IAT's spray meth in the motor. Just my opinion.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

+1 ^^
Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default C02

Originally Posted by BlazinT/A
would it be cheaper to just spray co2 on the intercooler
This is what i was gonna say too and is alot safer and cheaper to fill with the same outcome. I saw one installed last weekend HP TV it was pretty cool But agree with the post above me!Spray meth and call it a day
Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend with a supra powered drag car and he has a CO2 setup, the Co2 goes into 2 fuel bars to cool the fuel, then into a bulb in the air intake to chiil the air then exits onto the Intercoooler..

has a button he can press in prestaging for 6- 8 secs to freeze everything up , then it operates on a full throttle microswitich .....quite trick.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT

Jim
this water spray idea is very efective. its one of the things the WRC guys do to help pull intake temps down. as you said its cheap and easy.

Cheers

Chris.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuntington101
this water spray idea is very efective. its one of the things the WRC guys do to help pull intake temps down. as you said its cheap and easy.

Cheers

Chris.
As was said above please please do not do this at the track. High hp cars have a hard enough time putting power down aside from the drops of water you'll be putting down on the track. I would think a very small amount of no2 "25-50 shot worth " into the intake charge would do a huge drop in intake temps. But also might create a dangerously lean condition.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

The spray bar is a novelty concept and made popular in the import community. A A2W with an ice bath would be more effective and cheaper in the long run.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Friend uses a CO2 sprayer and he sees IAT drops. Sell the Nitrous and get a CO2

Last edited by SS#8788; 02-24-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Nitrous and CO2 are not cold. It is the drop in pressure when they go from being highly compressed to ambient pressure that causes the drop in temp (Ideal gas/Boyle's law PV=nRT). If you think simple physics is a novelty, it is time to do some more reading.

Find the cheapest non-flamable gas that that can be easily obtained at high pressure and use that if you want to pursue this concept.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1290
The spray bar is a novelty concept and made popular in the import community. A A2W with an ice bath would be more effective and cheaper in the long run.
Absolutely, but several classes restrict you to a A2A cooler. I would love a A2W, but that was MUCHO dinero.

I did not want to richen/cool the mixture with meth/alky because I wanted things as simple as possible. (I don't want an additional pump/piece that could fail)
With the spray bar, if the solenoid stick open or close, no big deal.
I am sure when I turn up the boost meth/alky will be a consideration.
But I really hate to add more components. (KISS principle)

Quick Reply: Spraying the Intercooler