Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Low boost blower: do headers increase safety?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low boost blower: do headers increase safety?

Hey, all...

You guys have been such a great resource for my LS6 turbo build that I thought I'd ask a couple questions re: my other car.

I have a new '09 Challenger SRT8 (go ahead, boo and hiss if you want) and I'm planning a mild supercharger (5-6 psi) setup using the stock heads and motor. Current options for the 6.1 Hemi include Vortech and ProCharger for centrifugals and the Whipple and SMS/Techco for twin screw.

Here's the question: with durability/safety/longevity as the primary goal, does the addition of aftermarket headers (and/or high-flow cats) help?

Obviously, the tune is first and foremost in determining safety. Past that, though, I'm wondering if aftermarket headers might provide better exhaust scavenging and hence a happier combustion chamber. Or maybe not, I dunno.

Thanks in advance for your opinions...
Old 02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say tune>springs>free flowing exhaust. Obviously all three will help but I think that having less backpressure is going to make your engine happier. not to mention some more horsepower.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Really? Valvesprings? I would've thought they're not much of an issue on low psi applications.

Did anyone have problems with the first P1SC setups that people were running at low boost?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will be OK with the stock valvesprings, but I'm sure the guys on the hemi sites can help you out more with that..

As far as the headers, the more restrictive the exhaust is the SAFER it is, exhaust gas left in the chambers actually reduces cylinder temps and chance of detonation - as well as horsepower
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, KP... good info. There's just nowhere near the amount of FI expertise over in Hemi land that we have here on LS1tech: the LX cars are 2006 and newer, and custom tuning is much less prevalent.

I want this build to be daily driver, safely tuned with ~550 HP at the crank. Given your opinion, I think I'll just swap in a catback and leave the headers and cats alone. I'm sure the smog ***** will be kinder to me, too.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RW99
Thanks, KP... good info. There's just nowhere near the amount of FI expertise over in Hemi land that we have here on LS1tech: the LX cars are 2006 and newer, and custom tuning is much less prevalent.

I want this build to be daily driver, safely tuned with ~550 HP at the crank. Given your opinion, I think I'll just swap in a catback and leave the headers and cats alone. I'm sure the smog ***** will be kinder to me, too.
Since you live in California you would be better off looking at a kit that is 50 state certified, or is pending certification. The only kits that will be able to be certified are the ones that come complete with a tune. Bob
Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Did I say daily driver? Oooops, I meant off-road use only.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RW99
Did I say daily driver? Oooops, I meant off-road use only.
lmao

Quick Reply: Low boost blower: do headers increase safety?