Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone running Twins with a single WG?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone running Twins with a single WG?

Was talking with a friend tonight and he got me thinking about running my twins on a single wastegate instead of twin 38mm's.

Is anyone out there doing something like this? Ive searched the forum and searched multiple "show me your setups" threads and I haven't spotted any.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how that would be done... An x-pipe before before the turbos?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

could be done like a crossover on a single setup, according to my friend its not all that uncommon, but I cant say Ive seen one and didnt know if there were any disadvantages to doing it.

some obvious advantages would be cheaper (1 WG, 1 Solenoid), less stuff to break/fail, less plumbing.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
8 Second Club

The only problem i would see that it would have to be some what remote mounted . If the gate is close to controlling your bost i could see it being a problem . The only thing that i see that would help would be try to put the gate in a primary flow path.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Put down the pipe and step away.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 AM
t-1
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

lol its just not a good idea at all
Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shearer
funny
Originally Posted by t-1
lol its just not a good idea at all
ok, why? supporting information would be helpful, hence the thread.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

One gate, two flow paths. Thats the biggest deal I see. You gotta merge the flow paths at some point to make it work.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Teching In

You may have boost regulating issues depending on turbine size versus engine size versus how much boost you are trying to maintain.

I'd hate to see you fab up your kit for a single wastegate only to find out that your trying to run "x"psi but it creeps to "xx"psi.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vadian
You may have boost regulating issues depending on turbine size versus engine size versus how much boost you are trying to maintain.

I'd hate to see you fab up your kit for a single wastegate only to find out that your trying to run "x"psi but it creeps to "xx"psi.
but wouldnt that be solved by running a bigger/better WG and/or boost controller?

I'm just pushing the issue to get as many peoples thoughts as possible, I certainly hope nobody is getting bent on this topic, Im probably gonna run twin 38mm's or 44mm's anyway, but supposedly its been done before and its more of a curiousity thing at this point to find some feedback about it.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may cost you more in extra piping... I am not sure that what kind of room you are working with, but that seems like it is going to be a lot of extra pipe
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
but wouldnt that be solved by running a bigger/better WG and/or boost controller?

I'm just pushing the issue to get as many peoples thoughts as possible, I certainly hope nobody is getting bent on this topic, Im probably gonna run twin 38mm's or 44mm's anyway, but supposedly its been done before and its more of a curiousity thing at this point to find some feedback about it.
It may, it may not. It really depends on your setup. There are just so many variables. How well is your turbos matched to your engine? How well is your wastegate(s) plumbed? Is your exhaust flow biased to the wastegate or the turbo? What kind of backpressure are you experiencing?

You can have a tiny motor with huge turbos and have no problem with running a single small wastegate because the motor produces barely enough energy to spin the turbines.

Or you can have a big motor with small turbos and have problems regulating because there is just way too much exhaust flow/energy for the amount of boost you are trying to maintain.

The latter was my problem.
I have a 440ci with twin T61s and twin 38mm gates and I was trying to maintain 7psi. Well it constantly crept to 9psi and even 12psi on occasion. The turbines were way too small and the motor flowed a ton of air. The wastegates could not bypass enough exhaust energy away from the turbos to maintain 7psi. Also, the wastegates had terrible bends and wasn't plumbed ideally. Thus I re-plumbed in some twin 50mm gates, installed larger turbos, fixed the backpressure issues and I have no problem maintaining 5psi.

I'd rather oversize than undersize in this case.

As far as a boost controller...it can only help so much. No boost controller can compensate for the physical size and max flow limit of a wastegate setup.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Morgan,
I met you down at Gary's last month; sounds like you're making some progress on the Bimmer project. As far as using 1 or 2 wastegates, either way can work...just do whatever is easiest from a plumbing perspective. I've seen guys use a single gate on twins when both turbos are very close together, but it wouldn't make much sense to run 6+ feet of plumbing across the car, into a common wastegate, if the turbos are far apart. The gate itself, as well as the way it is plumbed, will determine the minimum boost level. A controller can only raise boost, not lower it, from that minimum level.

Good Luck,
Rob
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shearer
laughed my *** off! good one Shearer!!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 AM
t-1
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

here is several issues
1.the extra piping will allow the exhaust to cool and slow down velocity wise causing though a little, more back pressure
2. all the extra piping would cost more than another wastegate if ya went that way
3. a wastegate is to control boost and it wouldnot control for **** on a setup like that. it would boost creep to hell because it would be near impossible to get the exhaust gasses from both turbos to have a clean shot at the wastegate
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RAACCR
Morgan,
I met you down at Gary's last month; sounds like you're making some progress on the Bimmer project. As far as using 1 or 2 wastegates, either way can work...just do whatever is easiest from a plumbing perspective. I've seen guys use a single gate on twins when both turbos are very close together, but it wouldn't make much sense to run 6+ feet of plumbing across the car, into a common wastegate, if the turbos are far apart. The gate itself, as well as the way it is plumbed, will determine the minimum boost level. A controller can only raise boost, not lower it, from that minimum level.

Good Luck,
Rob
Hey Rob,

Havent made any real progress yet, still collecting parts and working to save up money. I should be starting it very soon.

I just keep getting into discussions with other turbo people and things keep snowballing into odd configurations, so I decided to get some outside point of views from people I dont actually know

Originally Posted by t-1
here is several issues
1.the extra piping will allow the exhaust to cool and slow down velocity wise causing though a little, more back pressure
2. all the extra piping would cost more than another wastegate if ya went that way
3. a wastegate is to control boost and it wouldnot control for **** on a setup like that. it would boost creep to hell because it would be near impossible to get the exhaust gasses from both turbos to have a clean shot at the wastegate
yeah I hear ya 1 & 3, #2 could be debated at some point, but its not worth it

Thanks for everyones input on the subject. Glad almost everyone was able to make worthwhile on topic posts.

Ill probably just stick with the dual 38mm's on the GT35R's with .82 A/R turbine housings

Search this Thread