Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Upgrading BOV on APS Kit: Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Upgrading BOV on APS Kit: Suggestions

OK, the APS Kit has two BOVs and they are kinda cheesy. I am sure they are OK and functional, but not optimal.
The kit came with very nice TIAL waste gates, but cheese plastic blow off valves. Has someone tried to upgrade them?
What is a good replacement part? Also, I plan on venting to the atmosphere rather than the recirculation set up in the APS kit.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not do a single Tial 50mm off the inlet tube?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
OK, the APS Kit has two BOVs and they are kinda cheesy. I am sure they are OK and functional, but not optimal.
The kit came with very nice TIAL waste gates, but cheese plastic blow off valves. Has someone tried to upgrade them?
What is a good replacement part? Also, I plan on venting to the atmosphere rather than the recirculation set up in the APS kit.
Larry, take a look at the Turbosmart kompact supersonic bov 25mm. They are a direct fit. I ordered 2 last wk. I was told by a couple of people who has put these on and they said it was a direct fit and loud. They are atmo's to. I noticed that on the BOV it is adj on top. What does harder mean and what does softer mean on the BOV?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
Why not do a single Tial 50mm off the inlet tube?
im going to try this on my car but there is not alot of space to do it. then you add your meth injector,and IAT sensor its going to be tight
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default heres mine

Heres what i did before painting!!!http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/ebarnat/APS/
After paint ,Installed! http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../APs%20Engine/

LOL!!And heres some other pics i just posted today of some new changes ive made over the winter
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...erhood%20pics/

Last edited by barnat; 02-25-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said the turbosmart supersonic kompact are direct fit. I posted a pic in another thread. I simply put plugs on the inlet bought at home depot and was running the aps ones non recirced. They were a bit louder but not loud enough for me.
The adjustments on top are explained when you get the blow offs. They just keep the car from stalling or something if they are set wrong.Sound simple to set. Access to the aps blow offs is easy enough and you don't have to mod anything to use these turbosmarts. Simply clamp them in place of the plastic bosch ones that come with aps. Their only downside is they are pretty pricey and you of course need two.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

I installed Turbosmart Megasonics on my kit. Basically just welded the bigger flange over the smaller existing ones and then capped off the inlet side with some rubber chair tips. Test fitted the bumper yesterday and it looks like their is just enough clearance.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02WS6speed
I installed Turbosmart Megasonics on my kit. Basically just welded the bigger flange over the smaller existing ones and then capped off the inlet side with some rubber chair tips. Test fitted the bumper yesterday and it looks like their is just enough clearance.
So how do they sound??

It will be another month or so until can get my car out and about . Still nasty winter out there right now.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
So how do they sound??

It will be another month or so until can get my car out and about . Still nasty winter out there right now.
Not sure yet. I just finished the install, but my tuner is booked until march 18th so I have awhile till I find out how it really sounds. Started the car today on the stock injectors to hear the cam and make sure everything checked out. I will definately post up a vid when I get her running full tilt.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good.I plan on new video camera sometime this year and would also like to post up some vids. I am sure the megasonics will scream.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are the megasonics louder then the supersonics? They are almost double the price.

Last edited by jeremym; 02-26-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM
9 Second Club

thats why im going with only one BOV its alot cheaper and its less to deal with
Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02WS6speed
Dual Megasoincs? Damn...

I have a Megasonic and it is damned LOUD... Search the FI forum for a thread using the keyword Megasoic, and my thread with vid's should pop up.

The adjustment on top is to reach the adequate spring pressure, with no tools needed twisting the case by hand... Keep it as soft (counter clockwise) as possible making sure the piston in the valve stays closed at engine idle... Once you figure out at what point that is, give it a little twist clockwise (harder) and you're good to go... No springs to swap the like Tial BOV's, and they will hold boost AT ANY LEVEL, especially the relatively low boost LS1's use (10-25 psi average). Very high quality stuff, well worth the price.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

some one needs to put dam videos on here. i would like to hear it on the aps kit.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

The APS kits have bosch valves don't they?

Eurojet has some ones that will work. =)

Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

I put the Turbosmart Megasonics on my car they sound sweet and loud. You cant go wrong with them, they fit perfect in the bumper.

Oh yeah I have been running 17 PSI for the past two weeks Dyno day is tomorrow, Im hoping to get my bigger springs in today to turn it up to 20 PSI those 20g mits never stopped pulling on the street at 17# i am sure they will go to 20#
Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by OneMean01
I put the Turbosmart Megasonics on my car they sound sweet and loud. You cant go wrong with them, they fit perfect in the bumper.

Oh yeah I have been running 17 PSI for the past two weeks Dyno day is tomorrow, Im hoping to get my bigger springs in today to turn it up to 20 PSI those 20g mits never stopped pulling on the street at 17# i am sure they will go to 20#
i want to know if the turbos can keep up
can you tell us more about your set up?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

OK someone running bigger boost on a 402. What are full engine specs. Are you auto or m6?

Have you stented the inlet tubes or got the upgraded ones? Is this a dynojet you are going to? So you have stock springs in the gates.I was thinking some problems guys had with holding the boost past 15 or so is likely do to the smaller springs. I would think a 10psi to 15psi base spring would be about right.I like the idea of the lowest spring possible that would work and still alow the target max boost so can ramp up the boost on my eboost2.
Of course you can 't set it to lower than the gate springs.

Be handy if some guys runs some backpressure tests on these standard turbos on 402s and 408s.

So did you weld on the megasonics? Sure my bolt on supersonics will be fine for me. Another month or so to wait to drive my car. Only got to drive it a few weeks before had to put it away last year after getting it running near end of fall and winter here is NOT big hp friendly. Lucky still have the car after a few close calls on cold streets.

What are you running for tires at 17psi? How are they hooking up for you?
Going to think et street radials or m and h street radials. But hearing conflicting info on the nitto drag radials. My current nittos 275/17 are useless but they are also pretty much worn out.

Anyway give us some more details on your car, problems ,fixes ,etc.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

take a F***ing video so we can all see and hear it.

also is this base kit or high horse kit?

thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

subscribing.

Quick Reply: Upgrading BOV on APS Kit: Suggestions