Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

837 RWHP 944 TQ 402ci F-Body APS Base Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 837 RWHP 944 TQ 402ci F-Body APS Base Kit

Well finally got the car dynoed today. With my 402 6.0L block and the base APS turbo kit and the 7.5lbs springs we got 17PSI out of it and hit 837 RWHP and 944 RWTQ. No problems with the kit so far.

I have a oval tube in the intake ducts to keep them open so i do not have the problem of them sucking shut. Just thought I would post the first High boost dyno run with this kit for a f-body and a 402.

I do believe there is more left in the turbos i just need to put in my 10lbs springs next week to be for sure.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good!!! What size are the base turbos if I may ask?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

I think 56's if im not mistaken maybe a little smaller. Its been a while since we put it all in.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Wow, congrats on some spectacular numbers! That's big time torque, your combination must be very well spec'd and sorted out. Give us some more details if you don't mind, what sort of boost controller are you using? These are the kind of results that everyone has expected from the APS kits.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Engine is a 402 iron block with LQ9 heads.
Custom grind cam made for this build.
Fast 90/90 intake.
Spec Twin Disk
Stock M6 Tranny
Greedy boost controller
Racetronics 79lb High Impedance injectors
Nasty twin pump Fuel System
Dana S60 rear with 3.54's
Custom 3in oval tubing dual exhaust with h pipe
3 bar map with Speed Density Tune Just running car on race gas mix.
BeCool radiator

Anything else just feel free to ask.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Looks good...is this a recent build or do you have some street miles on the car? Did you buy one of the first 50 F-body kits like some of us here?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Nice!Any pics of your setup?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you posted the dyno graph. Want to see how its doing at higher rpm. That is pretty much my target hp ,850rwhp with m6 or 800rwhp auto to be precise and you are super close to that.

Could you pm me your cam specs if you don't want to post them. Would like to compare to my gt7 lingenfelter specs.I have 1.8 rockers giving more lift and bit more duration.
wonder how much my afr 225s would give over your current heads. Might just mean can run a bit lower boost and make the same power?

So how are the duty cycles with those injectors..was thinking to upgrade to bigger ,60s were just to get started.More options now on the high impedence ones.

And what about tuning ,afr,max timing..
Are you gonig to be tracking your car this season as well as dynoing. Very curious to see how it does since going with same rearend and might be on m6 for a few runs this year depending on when get the 4l80e. If our dollar stays where it is might be next year before get that!

Also did you run the pcv as per APS manual? Any smoking from the turbos.
That thing should rock pretty good at that power level . What tires are you running currently and how are they hooking up?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

what heads
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice numbers, good to see.

What exactly do you have in your intake ducts? Do you have any pictures? I ain't paying what APS wants for the reinforced ones unless I absolutely have to.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tomz28
what heads
LQ9
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Nice Numbers!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 AM
On The Tree

I now have a little over 2000 miles on motor and turbo kit and still doing fine. It was one of the first 50 kits that came out. I will try to get the graphs up I only have them on paper so i need to scan them in the computer or just have Jason email me them. The hp and tq jumped up quick and hit peak power then after that went back down to about 750ish HP I can tell you this there is no reason to take it past 5300rpm or so the power just starts to dive off after that. I dont think the turbos can really push that much air at a higher rpm.

Just put on my new mickey 305 35 18 yesterday and they hook on the street spins in second but 3rd is grabby. The injectors are at 80% duty cycle so pretty good and car has very good street manors feels like stock under normal driving. A/F is 11 we like to play on the safe side i drive the car quite a bit on the weekends so didnt want to aggresive of a tune. PCV is not like APS we omited that and did our own. Going to go to the track as soon as i get my 10 point put in the car so another couple of months. I know it will be in the 9's

Car also did 700 rwhp and 742 rwtq at 10 PSI just to let you know the difference.

Last edited by OneMean01; 02-28-2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 AM
On The Tree

I did my exhaust out of 3in oval tubing and we cut some 1and half in pieces and stuck them inside the inlet ducts and put 2 band clamps on them to make sure that they dont move they fit in the ducts perfect, and there you go no more intake duct problems.
You can see in the first picture my exhaust and the type of tubing that it is that is all that i used.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

ur transmission can handle that much power? how much can they take stock? never thought to ask
Old 02-28-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you keep the a/c?

any over heating issues?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

very nice!!! damn it i need bigger injectors..lol. my 60's are done at 9 psi but i did manage 723 and 789 on my 402 and on pump gas. time to look into some injectors so i can crank it up a little.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

I have seen quite a few drop off past 5300 or so but seen some not drop off . That makes me wonder a bit if some are dropping off do to the 7.5 psi springs being too small to hold steady much past 15psi. It will be interesting to see what happens when you get your 10psi springs although even a bit higher maybe 12psi or 15psi might be necessary. Its nice though to keep lower ones so you can ramp up the boost by rpm or gear and have more range for low and high boost options. A person could maybe very carefully test with no vac lines to gates. Not recommended long term of course. I had to upgrade springs in my talon as I couldn't get past 20psi on my then 10psi springs. I wanted to be able to hit 30psi. Similar effect boost would spike up and then drop off at higher rpm.
Put in 20psi spring and no problem now.

At l;east we know it shouldn't be dropping off from the inlet tubes sucking shut since you put in those stents.

Also wonder how much is cam choice or not having sufficient valve springs for it to hold boost top end. Different heads might also let person make same power at lower boost levels which might also help the high rpm. It looks like you have the fuel support for the high rpm and 80% is certainly right on the money. One reason that still wanted to compare cam specs. My car seemed to pull strong to 6500 ,was planning on going to 7000 for very occasional redline if needed to for mph reasons thru the traps depending on tires. Using same gears as you have and think you will have to wind it up to 6500 or so to get mph you would need at the track,although.JM was hitting near 140mph in high 9s on this forum with his 402 build. Running 4.10 gears and not sure how high he was revving too. And think ran 12psi or so for those runs.Not sure his tire height either. He was running 4l80e.

I don't really care if didn't have to rev it that high but even if power drops off to 750rwhp thats still pretty stout. Also I have the housings coming from ebay that have think different wheels and might give a bit more airflow up high and supposedly a bit faster spool ,although spool up seems very quick with my 408. Maybe you can post some data for us if you can log boost versus rpm.

Are you running hptuners?Maybe can compare a few things.I still have to make the switch to 3 bar shortly. Bought my 3 bar map so pretty much ready to go.

What is your max timing?

Are you running a sway bar? Stock or aftermarket?

Are these the siemen type like my 60s or are they the newer different ones shown on the racetronix site? So idle is good with them?

Looks like your ground off the aps twin turbo script on the intercooler neck. Very nice how it matches your car and pretty darn stealthy. I was considering stealth look but figured how stealthy can it be with two pretty loud spooling turbos and my pretty darn loud I would think upgraded blow offs. So figured my liscence plate and my twin turbo and 408 emblems on the car would mostly just keep away the honda boys which is fine with me.
I don't mess around in town, I take it out of town or to the track. Street racing and murder one are about the same thing where I live these days ,thanks to the Fast and Furious movies and the dumb ricers racing each other down mainstreet at all hours regardless of danger to other people.

Track and dynos are both a few hundred miles away. Awkward but better than nothing.
Track is strick NHRA track so not likely to get many runs in there as no rollbar and not sure putting one in. The current NHRA rules trash the use of the back seat with the requirement for a welded crossbrace on the hoop. They should allow removable pin in cross braces for street cars. You can already have removable door braces.

Course its 10 point like you are getting under 10 and think past 135mph anyway.
We do have a couple of non NHRA tracks bit farther away ,one quartermile and think two 1/8 mile so will go there to see if can get me some 9s.

Oh and did it still drop off at 10psi past 5300?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

So any special modding for the be cool radiator to fit in there. Did you have to remove the power steering cooler in the upper rad hose that one looks like it would be in the way.
Do you run the stock fans?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69TA
did you keep the a/c?

any over heating issues?
AC is in the picture

Quick Reply: 837 RWHP 944 TQ 402ci F-Body APS Base Kit