Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil restrictor on a T67?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil restrictor on a T67?

Hey guys - I noticed that I don't seem to have anything on the line to restrict the oil supplied to the turbo.. On a T67 do I actually need one? I'd assume yes but I think I need some clarification and maybe a link to what I may need.. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it!!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

It's pretty common, I'm running one, do a search and you'll find it on this site. I don't want to post a link to a non sponsor.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

does it matter which size restrictor i get? i tried doing a search - idk if im not searching the right words or if im blind as a bat
Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I need to get one for mine also.. I noticed some oil in my piping. So must be the oil cant drain fast enough.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...I know tons of people do it but,...you guys are crazy for starving the turbo of oil. I'm no turbo guru at all, so please don't stab out my internet eyeballs but,...I don't think this is what you want to do, if your having an oil/smoking/pudeling issue.

Either clock your turbo properly straight up and down and give the drain line a downward slope back inside the pan and you'll probably be alright. Make sure your useing atleast a -10 return hose.

If you continue to have a problem, like myself,...you need to buy an OIL RETURN pump,...to help with your draining issues....or better yet, solve your draining issues.

For what it's worth, I talked to Precision turbo, about this very topic,..and after they laughed for a split second, they said no, never restrict the oil inlet of a turbo UNLESS your seeing EXCESSIVE oil pressure in the system, as in over 80+psi constant-

Buy a pump,...call it a day,...your turbo will thank you for it a year or soo down the road.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

i have a restrictor, and i also have an oil pump as described - on full power 100% of the time. seems to be perfect as of right now
Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

...I know tons of people do it but,...you guys are crazy for starving the turbo of oil. I'm no turbo guru at all, so please don't stab out my internet eyeballs but,...I don't think this is what you want to do, if your having an oil/smoking/pudeling issue.

Is it really starving your turbo when you see 40+ psi at 600rpm? I talked to ATP turbo and he said the newer designed turbos have built in restrictors because turbos don't handle high oil pressure well. He said our turbos where engineered in the days when a hot motor would see 12-14psi at idle and they needed all the oil they could get. I guess it's personal choice but I run a restrictor, synthetic oil and a Mocal pump.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

V-series what kind of combination are you running? Those are great numbers in you sig, also out of fuel 5500rpm? Out of injector?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

if you search under Schantins name or his posts, you will find that he used a certain size restrictor fitting from a nitrous piece....when I get back home I can tell you but by that time you may have figured it out, but I will look just in case.

Also, I'm testing this now as my STS oil scavenge pump wasn't doing its job fully under FULL load (At dragstrip) running through the gears and I got just a dab of oil out my exhaust.

SO, i went out and bought the EXa Pump from Turbowerx and I'm testing it now running at 12V @ 6A which is what it is always meant to be run at and wired the way it came. I'm testing this as this pump flows WAY more than the STS scavenge pump and I would think that at that point I wouldn't need a restrictor...but I will soon find out. I'm running the garrett 60mm turbo t04e
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

ZL1 how is the noise of the new pump in relation to the stock sts pump?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

yea that fn STS pump is unnecessarily loud hahha
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

this is the restrictor i am using. I would get an oily film inside my intake piping, but this cleared everything up. I am still using the STS oil pump as well.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike13
Is it really starving your turbo when you see 40+ psi at 600rpm? I talked to ATP turbo and he said the newer designed turbos have built in restrictors because turbos don't handle high oil pressure well. He said our turbos where engineered in the days when a hot motor would see 12-14psi at idle and they needed all the oil they could get. I guess it's personal choice but I run a restrictor, synthetic oil and a Mocal pump.
I think I mentioned that above 70psi, continueus pressure, a restrictor MAY be needed/used, as described by the turbo charger manafactuar at the PRI show that I attended this year. Not sure aboput your LSx but,..mine,...is @40psi @ idle...

...and if it's a "built" in restrictor,..then it's a factory piece,..and thats how the turbo company, designed it.

V-series what kind of combination are you running? Those are great numbers in you sig, also out of fuel 5500rpm? Out of injector?
Pro turbo kit, twin 67mm, mid pipe dumps, afr 205s, box stock harland sharo rr's,unported 90mm tb, fast 90 unported, stock bottom end LS6 with studs,..stock internals. I run a racetronix intank pump with hot wire kit that is rated for 700rwhp. 60 pound siemen injectors. 11.5psi and 12 degrees of timing(stock is 23degrees). @ 5500rpms,..the car starts dropping fuel pressure. The more the rpms go up,...the faster the pump runs out. I need a bigger fuel pump,...and a return style system. Thanks for the interest mang.

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
if you search under Schantins name or his posts, you will find that he used a certain size restrictor fitting from a nitrous piece....when I get back home I can tell you but by that time you may have figured it out, but I will look just in case.

Also, I'm testing this now as my STS oil scavenge pump wasn't doing its job fully under FULL load (At dragstrip) running through the gears and I got just a dab of oil out my exhaust.

SO, i went out and bought the EXa Pump from Turbowerx and I'm testing it now running at 12V @ 6A which is what it is always meant to be run at and wired the way it came. I'm testing this as this pump flows WAY more than the STS scavenge pump and I would think that at that point I wouldn't need a restrictor...but I will soon find out. I'm running the garrett 60mm turbo t04e
Nice, curious to hear your results. Price of the new pump?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

First you have to measure oil pressure at the turbo.All my front mount turbo's get restrictors but never needed one for a STS.

Also,you do not want to run the pump 100% all the time.They are not made to last long running like that.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem as described before, if I sit at stop lights or granny around .. meaning I may run the rpms up and the oil pressure up but not spool the turbo, then as soon as it spools it dumps oil into the inlet and exhaust side, I am going to change feed lines and see it it helps, Clock is dead on and level, and I am running a Mocal pump. See link in sig for build and further problems...

And I am very lucky to live close to and know a lot of guys from a very popular custom turbo shop that has been in many Mag. articles and well respected for their custom work (Fastlane Motorsports, I know they are mustang ppl but turbos are turbos) and after speaking with the owner about it, they often run Nitrous jets as restrictions in oil feed lines to prevent over oiling.

There is a test, Garrett will tell you, to get the correct amount of oil feed to your turbo. Dont quote me on this because it was told to me and I cant remember for sure but it oil should freely flow through the turbo at a rate of 1/2 to 1 qt per min. I think ... anything more than that is to much.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sujomatt
The Mocal I run is way louder than a stock STS pump. The Mocal is a serious pump, probably over kill but it does the job.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Mocal I run is way louder than a stock STS pump. The Mocal is a serious pump, probably over kill but it does the job.
Mine is also very loud, but I am going to separate it from the body of the car and put a led in my gauge pod so I know if it stops running.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

ZL1 how is the noise of the new pump in relation to the stock sts pump?
Originally Posted by sujomatt
You know how the STS is loud and kind of high pitched, well this new Exa Pump I tell ya so far is doing its job and it is more of a quiet purr noise, so it doesn't seem nearly as loud as the STS.

When I get some time to upload a video I will film the car going from off to the RUN position where the pump will prime, and then I will crank and I cannot hear this new pump at all once I'm cranked, the STS I could.

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
Mine is also very loud, but I am going to separate it from the body of the car and put a led in my gauge pod so I know if it stops running.

What are the Tech specs on this pump and where can I find them? what is the pumps max flow rate in GPM (gallon per minute) and its max flow pressure?

Quick Reply: Oil restrictor on a T67?