Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crushed bent pipe ok for turbo piping

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crushed bent pipe ok for turbo piping

Hey guys, I was wondering if crushed bent pipe is ok to use with a turbo, I don't have any local shops that have a mandral bender around me and Im not the best welder . I am going to be using the truck manifolds and mount the turbo up front on my 5.3 in my regal, will I lose horsepower by using that kind of pipe, if so, how much?
Also can I use 16 gauge aluminized pipe for the intercooler piping( that would also have to be crush bent)
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

turn the boost up 1 psi to make up for the difference.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can buy mandrels and have them bend them
Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 AM
9 Second Club

you can buy bends and cut and paste them together. do the fitting part. tack it with you welder and take to local welding shop and have them weld it up for you.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

You will lose about 20-30% of the flow and make your system less responsive. Simply turning up the boost a little will not remove the restriction. Do it right the first time - mandrel bends are not expensive.

PM sent.

Jim
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt you would even notice a difference. Just calculate your diameter of the tubing by the smallest spot. So you if you went from 2.5" and the crush marks make it 2.375" you just have slightly smaller..but would it matter? Most likely not Depending on your over all goal and if your tubing size was border line anyways. You wont lose 20-30% of the flow unless the tube is crushed 20-30% closed. The smaller tubing would actually increase the velocity, its not going to make it less responsive.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I doubt you would even notice a difference. Just calculate your diameter of the tubing by the smallest spot. So you if you went from 2.5" and the crush marks make it 2.375" you just have slightly smaller..but would it matter? Most likely not Depending on your over all goal and if your tubing size was border line anyways. You wont lose 20-30% of the flow unless the tube is crushed 20-30% closed. The smaller tubing would actually increase the velocity, its not going to make it less responsive.
Really??!?!? The flow characteristics are not solely defined by the diameter of tubing. The wrinkles in the bends will definitely affect the flow. Air flow in general does not like to go around bends, but when you throw in the wrinkles in the bends they will affect the flow a lot more.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1290
Really??!?!? The flow characteristics are not solely defined by the diameter of tubing. The wrinkles in the bends will definitely affect the flow. Air flow in general does not like to go around bends, but when you throw in the wrinkles in the bends they will affect the flow a lot more.
Thats why I stated that it depends if the tube size used was borderline the optimal size or not to begin with, and what his over all goal was. There was quite a bit of info left out. I dont see the ripples depriving the turbo of the pressure it needs to run. This would be along the lines of the whole tubular header vs. truck manifold argument. Sure tubular headers flow better, but for a lot of peoples applications truck manifolds work fine..... as will the regular bent pipe.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

a bunch of places off pre-bent pipes u can just buy and use couplers to put them together. example of a place is summit - not sure if any sponsors here offer that but definitely look into that.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
11Second Club

I bought pre-bent aluminum pipe from CXRacing on ebay, cut it, mocked it up on the car, indexed it, took it to a speed shop, and had them weld it. Total cost was less than $300 for the pipe and the welding.

Quick Reply: Crushed bent pipe ok for turbo piping