Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default procharger inspection

I purchased a used blower about 2 years ago and never got a chance to install it. I know I know At that time the blower was only 9 months old. When I was installing the FMIC I found oil in the IC (also purchased used withthe head unit) I didn't think anything was wrong with the head unit but thought it was a good idea to get it checked out by procharger. I sent it to them out the beginning of last week and it seems like it's taking some time to get checked out. I am not getting impatient just getting worried about the whole process.

Have anyone sent theirs in to procharger for inspection before? Has the process gone faily smooth?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much are they charging you? Out of curiosity. Anyway, I had mine sent in to get the shaft seal replaced (notorious for leaking, and it still does a little) and it took them about 2 weeks. 10 working days is about standard for anything like that.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spring is the season were ProCharger gets hammered with customers sending blowers in for repairs. I'm sure they'll get it back to yuo just as soon as they can. Bob
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BLASTER
I purchased a used blower about 2 years ago and never got a chance to install it. I know I know At that time the blower was only 9 months old. When I was installing the FMIC I found oil in the IC (also purchased used withthe head unit) I didn't think anything was wrong with the head unit but thought it was a good idea to get it checked out by procharger. I sent it to them out the beginning of last week and it seems like it's taking some time to get checked out. I am not getting impatient just getting worried about the whole process.

Have anyone sent theirs in to procharger for inspection before? Has the process gone faily smooth?
I doubt the oil in the intercooler was from the head unit. Instead it's likely it was from the engine because ATI routes a rubber hose from the passenger side valve cover to the inlet hat of the chargere.

We all know how much oil accumulates in the intake and why catch cans are used? Well - it's that same oil that would have went into the intake being routed instead into the head unit and ultimately into the intercooler (ATI's system) and why oil is dripping from you IC.

It's a compromise ATI built into their system to keep the 'tree huggers' happy.

A visual inspection of oil running out of your contaminated IC and comparing it to the oil in the head unit will more than likely confirm the oil in the IC is from the engine and not charger oil from the he ATI charger.

It's surprising that there are very few - if any - posts about ATI's design flaw and that the IC should be checked or cleaned periodically for oil contamination.

Once the IC becomes contaminated with oil next stop for the oil vapors is into the MAF and onto the MAF wires.

To fix - route the line to atmosphere or a catch can and nipple-block the inlet on the charger. Make sure to get the IC steam cleaned. I was told by an ATI dealer and installer he literally poured out more than a quart of oil from the IC. MAF was contaminated with oil. Backtracking revealed it was the IC that was the source of oil contamination.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 03-27-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I doubt the oil in the intercooler was from the head unit. Instead it's likely it was from the engine because ATI routes a line from the engine to the head unit.

We all know how much oil accumulates in the intake and why catch cans are used? Well - it's that same oil that would have went into the intake being routed instead into the head unit and ultimatelly into the intercooler (ATI's system).

It's a compromise ATI built into their system to keep the 'tree huggers' happy.

A visual inspection of oil running out of your contaminated IC and comparing it to the oil in the head unit will more than likely confirm the oil is from the engine and not the ATI head unit.

It's surprising that there are very few - if any - posts about ATI's design flaw and that the IC should be checked or cleaned periodically for oil contamination.

Once the IC becomes contaminated with oil next stop for the oil vapors is into the MAF and onto the MAF wires.

To fix - route the line to atmosphere or a catch can and nipple-block the inlet on the charger. Make sure to get the IC steam cleaned. I was told by an ATI dealer and installer he literally poured out more than a quart of oil from the IC. MAF was contaminated with oil. Backtracking revealed it was the IC that was the source of oil contamination.
Prochargers for late model gm's are self contained. There is no possible way that any oil would be in the charge pipes from the motor.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevied916
Prochargers for late model gm's are self contained. There is no possible way that any oil would be in the charge pipes from the motor.
Page 41 of the the ATI Procharger installation manual.

Final Assembly

1. Remove the crankcase vent line coming out of the passenger side valve cover and from the side of the throtte body. Place the supplied 3/8 rubber cap over the tube where the breather was connected and secure with a zip tie.
2. Attach the supplied 3/8 breather hose to the fitting on the passenger side valve cover and then route this hose to the blower inlet hat. Secure both ends with zip tie.

Based on the above instructions and looking at the pics (Illustration l2 on page 31) in the ATI manual the ATI charge system is not isolated from the engine.

I don't have my catch can installed yet so temporarily we are venting the hose referred to above in ATI's instructions to atomosphere rather than into the ATI inlet hat. The hose runs to the underneath of the car.

Since the fix - on more than one occasion - there has been a dollar sized or bigger puddle of oil from this hose after parking. I can only assume that the oil that is on my garage floor from this hose would have been sucked into the inlet hat and then out the output side of the charger and into IC.

If there is disagreement or if our theory is wrong then where is the oil coming from since the ATI inlet vent port is blocked and the oil level on the charger remains dipstick level full? With the suction produced on the intake side of charger it makes sense that oil vapors from the passenger side valve cover that were routed into the throttle body on a stock system are routed instead into the intake hat on the charger and ulimately into the IC with the ATI system.

The oil puddle looks exactly like that that puddles on the floor of the intake. It is not oil from the self contained oil in the charger head.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 03-27-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shortly after my kit was installed per ATI instructions, I had oil leaking out one of my charge pipes and it also had coated the inside of the inlet hat. I was freaking out because I thought the blower was leaking. Thankfully, the blower was fine, it was just motor oil being sucked in. That was quickly remedied.

You can either put a catch can on the hose to the inlet hat or plug it and just put a breather or two on the engine. Your choice... but only will pass an inspection.

Also, if you have oil in the intercoolers it will make them less efficient. It might be a good idea to get them tanked before you put the kit on.

Oh yeah, and start saving for a motor... mine didn't take 540 rwhp very long.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought you were talking about a oil line. Yes you NEED a catch can for these cars. The LS6 valley will help as well
Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I should have described the air line better. I changed the original post.

But what really bothers me is that ATI designed their system this way without fixing the issue.

Yes - there are numerous posts about oil contamination in the intake and that the fix is to install catch cans on na cars.

But on ATI fi cars the oil contamination in the intercoolers is bad because it reduces the efficiency of the intercooler and in addition but worse, contaminates the maf wires with oil as well.

At least on na cars oil contamination is aft of the maf whereas the way ATI designed their system the oil contaminated air is ahead of the maf contaminating both intercooler(s) or fmic and the maf.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
How much are they charging you? Out of curiosity. Anyway, I had mine sent in to get the shaft seal replaced (notorious for leaking, and it still does a little) and it took them about 2 weeks. 10 working days is about standard for anything like that.
They said it's 89.00 bux for an inspection

Spring is the season were ProCharger gets hammered with customers sending blowers in for repairs. I'm sure they'll get it back to yuo just as soon as they can. Bob
I figure that. I just really hope nothing is wrong. I concluded the oil in themFMIC was from the engine and not the procharger but thought it was a good idea anyway. Who knows how it will turn out
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

still waiting...

tech called me on last tuesday and told me the main gasket was bad. paid what he said it would be. he said it would ship out on thursday. Called Friday for a tracking number and receptionist said there were no updates in my file so now I don't know when the head unit is coming back.

Quick Reply: procharger inspection