Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

putting together a turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting together a turbo kit

ok first i want to state that i have searched and read A LOT, but i just want to make certain i have everything planned out. i have started to find and purchase some of the things i need but would love some feedback from guys who have run or are running a rear mount set up.
i don't want to go front mount so please don't comment on that.
ok i plan on running a HX40 turbo with a t3 hotside. i have found a oil pump that will push 3.7 gpm, which should be more then enough. i need flanges for the turbo of course. i have been told to go with a 50mm wastegate. i plan on wrapping everything with header wrap to get better spool up and even putting a blanket on the turbo. i also am fabbing a heat shield for extra insurance against cold water splashing a hot turbo.
the one thing that i plan on doing that some people might think is weird is to put my filter and intake up in my rear hatch area, like cutting a hole in the bottom of the t-top storage area. is that not a good idea or what, would the sound of it drawing in air get too loud or what?
if im forgetting anything please chime in, i have a BOV and all. the intake piping i was thinking of aluminum or would just mild steel be better?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Launching!

nevermind i just found a ton more info, so forget i even made this thread or a mod can delete it.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

TURBO TO SMALL> youll choke it, and fall on your face. you really need a t4 hotside, with like a .81 or larger. anything smaller is not a good idea, IMO, i dont think youll like the intake in the trunk, it will be loud. lol. i thought about that in my trunk on my gto, but its a trunk with a gas tank and seats before the cabin. still tossing that one around. i really think you need a larger turbo though
Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Launching!

ok, so just larger all together or larger hotside, because there are plenty of hx40's with the t4. and i was told hx40's can make well over 600hp. im just repeating what i heard not trying to be smart or nothing
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u could run a masterpower if you're trying to build on a budget
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

i just purchased a MP t70 with a .96 on the hotside. its a t4 housing. thats what you want, there are also garrett turbos and precision;s with the .81. anything smaller then these and youll see instant boost and it will fall on its face in the upper rpm range. check around, modular turbo here has the answer. good turbo for less money. great entry level product. (so ive been told) LOL
Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JAX04
i just purchased a MP t70 with a .96 on the hotside. its a t4 housing. thats what you want, there are also garrett turbos and precision;s with the .81. anything smaller then these and youll see instant boost and it will fall on its face in the upper rpm range. check around, modular turbo here has the answer. good turbo for less money. great entry level product. (so ive been told) LOL
yeah i called modular turbo, great guy, i will def go with him, just had to give my wife the money i had put aside for the turbo so, gotta pay bills before i play.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
FormerVendor

Just do what I did, buy your wife your dream car then hook it up and tell her that you are making her car fast. Worked like a charm for me.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
Just do what I did, buy your wife your dream car then hook it up and tell her that you are making her car fast. Worked like a charm for me.
thats kinda how i got the trailblazer SS. not my dream car but i told her we needed something with 4 doors and i didnt want to get whipped by civics with a fart can
Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

LMAO, i just bought it and told her to get over it, i know, im *** hole, but oh well. i wanted my gto, so i bought it. plus, im the only one working right now, i might of, maybe sort of, hung that over her head a little. oops.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Wow your wives work not my lazy azz wife, she sits at home all day.

Quick Reply: putting together a turbo kit