Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just bought a homemade rear mount kit, is the Turbo big enough???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought a homemade rear mount kit, is the Turbo big enough???

Ok guys please help me identify the turbo. I was just about to order 60lb injectors, fuel pump, hotwire kit, intercooler, header wrap and misc lines BUT I started thinking about the turbo and wanted to clear things up first.

I bought the kit from a local and feel like a dumb *** now for not asking more questions.
The welds on the turbo housing etc look professional and the way he described the kit he sounded like he knew what he was talking about but you guys be the judge.

I want around 450-500rwhp with a rear mount so please let me know what I need to change to make it happen. I already did my research on here and am ordering an Intercooler as well and heat wrapping the entire exhaust going to the turbo.
Alot of the tubing he gave me will be replaced as well since I have a few ideas how I want to route the pipes underneath the car, plus he has some heavy *** galvanized pipes which is not going to fly.

Ok the Turbo is a Garrett part# 466608-5001 A/R .60.
Will this work for me? It looks like the way he has the housing clocked he ran the discharge pipes right under the middle of the car (he had a TPI firebird), I can clock the housing anyway I like correct?

Here is a very shortened description from his for sale ad:
This kit comes with all intake piping, silicone couplers, T-bolt clamps, gauge pod with boost gauge and air to fuel gauge, Garrett T-4 60-1 turbo, JDM 38mm wastegate, TIAL type blow off valve, turbo manifold to hook to your exhaust, RB racing oil scavange pump, and turbo timer.

Pics: (he sprayed a thin layer of wd-40 on the housing the prevent rust)

I am building this on a budget otherwise I would just buy a $1500 turbo and be done with it but I would rather just use the one supplied if I can.

So what do you guys think...will the turbo be enough for what I want? I really didnt care about the piping like I said since I am going to change up alot of it.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it could possibly do it if it's set up right. Get it installed and lets see what happens.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what size is the hot side
Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That turbo is too small for 500 rwhp. and deffinatly get an intercooler.. I used the ati twin set up on my car I didn't want to cut the f bumper and support up.There is one on here for sale. You really have nothing to loose by using that turbo. Put it on and see how you like it. I would say 42 lb injectors would be enough fuel and are eaisier to tune.
I would use some braided line for the oil feed and not the clamp on style in the pic.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

That turbo seems small. You can get a Master power t70 turbo for pretty cheap, like 550-600$ that will work great and make 500whp no problem. Yes you can clock the turbo anyway you want to.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

dude i would get a 76 it will make that easy on low boost, and you WILL WANT MORE!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

you want at least a t70 and 60lb injectors are great, also you dont need or want to fool with a hot wire kit. get a lpe 340. its a lingenfelter walbro 255. that will be plenty. i dont agree with upping the juice to an electrical components it just doesnt seem like the right thing to do. plus youll only spend about 170 bucks on the pump. how much does a BAP cost?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, no one answered one of your questions so I will, Yes you can clock either side any way you want to.

I agree you may want a bigger turbo. But to get the "kit" set up, I would use the one you have, the turbo itself is literally plug and play and after you get the bugs worked out you can simply bolt a different turbo in, I would use the one you have to set it up first.

I would also (and did) just do a walbro 255, I dont know what the difference in the LPE kit is .. but just the walbro is $98 and will fuel that turbo just fine.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I love this site. Thanks for the help with this.

Super Slow SS you brought up a good point. I will get everything on, tuned etc and see where I stand. I looked at the MP Turbo and it looks like a great deal so again I will see what the car does with the current one first.

I have followed your build but one question, where did you get all of the braided oil lines? I see that the guy who had this kit had the clamp on hoses, will that work or is there too much pressure going thru the lines to chance one blowing off.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

You can go with the fancy braided line or you can run that push lock hose stuff. We used that stuff for oil supply and return on my dads tt truck and wrks great and its cheap.

Quick Reply: Just bought a homemade rear mount kit, is the Turbo big enough???