Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger inlet hat

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger inlet hat

Anyone have dyno results from using the hat to going with something else? I ran 570/610 on a mustang dyno, the power curve levels off around 5500 RPM I was told it was the "hat" anyone have any results?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hat on vs off on my old setup 9.5:1 scr forged LS6 with P1SC and stock truck heads.

Careful- notice the AFR spikes with the hat off too!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are still using the small filter supplied by ATI - I would change to a bigger filter first. Bob at EPP says a bigger filter can add up to 2lbs of boost.

KP I recall said in a post he has always used the stock inlet hat without issue.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Hat on vs off on my old setup 9.5:1 scr forged LS6 with P1SC and stock truck heads.

Careful- notice the AFR spikes with the hat off too!
Holy ****!
That is significant. Did you run it at that track (with and without) or only pull it on the dyno?

Question goes to anyone else for that matter reading along.

So yours made 3 more psi during the test?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just move the radiator and put on a real inlet already

I garrenty your car picks up 100+rwhp.Friggin thing hit 10psi at 5000rpm and stayed there to 6500rpm due to the inlet restriction.

O-ya,don't forget about the fuel.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chad, is that with the hat completely off or just moving removing the accordion/air filter part? My car only saw 1psi of difference removing that section but I don't think I've ever completely removed the hat.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've seen an average of 10 to 15% increase of power with the Hat off when you run over 10psi of boost.

These inlet hats / filters just dont flow very well...

One of our cars picked up 105RWHP went from 715RWHP to 810RWHP with the Inlet hat off 12psi to 14/15psi. Car is a Forged 347, agressive cam, ported heads, A4 Tranny w/4000 stall, Procharger F1-A, 12 bolt and 3.55 gears, #'s are w/converter locked.

I Know KP did well with it, we just feel the inlets have their limits after 1000 cfm.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Hmm, well my car is going to go back on the dyno this week from some tweaks, I'll see if we can make a pull with and without the hat.

ChevyChad, was it just maxing out your fuel system up top or something else with the hat off?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Just move the radiator and put on a real inlet already

I garrenty your car picks up 100+rwhp.Friggin thing hit 10psi at 5000rpm and stayed there to 6500rpm due to the inlet restriction.

O-ya,don't forget about the fuel.
I'm breakin down, I just wanted to see some comparisions....That dyno sheet was like a bitch slap. I am collecting pieces for the regulator now. Geeezzz you're worse than Kenny....chop this....pound that
Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Hmm, well my car is going to go back on the dyno this week from some tweaks, I'll see if we can make a pull with and without the hat.

ChevyChad, was it just maxing out your fuel system up top or something else with the hat off?
Ya be careful, I was at the end of my duty cycle with the hat on. I need to upgrade fuel before I do anymore air mods.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 AM

That was with the whole assembly off- the hat, accordian, and stock small filter. And it was really more like a 2.5psi increase. When I upgraded to the bigger filter, I gained 1.5psi over the smaller filter, so that leaves me to the conclusion that the hat costs about 1psi..

As for the AFR, no, I was not at the edge of my fuel limits, it just changed the AFR that much. We tuned it with the hat and filter on, and got the AFR where we wanted it, and then at the end of the session, I just wanted to do one more pull to see what the hat/ accordian/ small filter was costing me, so I pulled it off and did one more run. We could have adjusted the tune to accomidate for the extra flow, but I wasnt going to be drivin around with the hat off, so if we had done that, with my hat & filter on, it would have been VERY fat and rich.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zapp168
I'm breakin down, I just wanted to see some comparisions....That dyno sheet was like a bitch slap. I am collecting pieces for the regulator now. Geeezzz you're worse than Kenny....chop this....pound that
Your car likes making diesal power
Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Your car likes making diesal power
Ya, but my tires don't!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
That was with the whole assembly off- the hat, accordian, and stock small filter. And it was really more like a 2.5psi increase. When I upgraded to the bigger filter, I gained 1.5psi over the smaller filter, so that leaves me to the conclusion that the hat costs about 1psi..

As for the AFR, no, I was not at the edge of my fuel limits, it just changed the AFR that much. We tuned it with the hat and filter on, and got the AFR where we wanted it, and then at the end of the session, I just wanted to do one more pull to see what the hat/ accordian/ small filter was costing me, so I pulled it off and did one more run. We could have adjusted the tune to accomidate for the extra flow, but I wasnt going to be drivin around with the hat off, so if we had done that, with my hat & filter on, it would have been VERY fat and rich.
Cool, I was just hoping mine won't run out of fuel. Doubtful though with 75lb injectors lol. Is your car track ready? If so, let me know, I'd like to head up to Tulsa and see it run, unfortunately though, our cars are going to be twins...
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What's everyone's thought on putting a pipe and filter on the bypass return hole in the blower hat. I vent my bypass to the atmosphere and have a expantion plug in the blower hat. So would adding a filter to that hole and a larger filter to the end of the hat help, or would it hurt because the bypass hole is closer to the head unit and the path of least resistance is 1/2 the size of the filter inlet. ?????? Something like this http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=RU-0080

Last edited by conan; 05-12-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by conan
What's everyone's thought on putting a pipe and filter on the bypass return hole in the blower hat. I vent my bypass to the atmosphere and have a expantion plug in the blower hat. So would adding a filter to that hole and a larger filter to the end of the hat help, or would it hurt because the bypass hole is closer to the head unit and the path of least resistance is 1/2 the size of the filter inlet. ?????? Something like this http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=RU-0080

wont make much difference, if any at all... On almost all procharger setups, we don't re-route the air back into the inlet hat anyway, it keeps the heated charged air from being re circulated, over and over again, helps with IAT's, also most people like to hear their BOV as well.

Clint
Old 05-13-2009, 04:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1357
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1086

This is the combination we used on my Camaro, as we found quite a bit more horsepower with it over the standard ProCharger configuration. Bob
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM

Cool, I was just hoping mine won't run out of fuel. Doubtful though with 75lb injectors lol. Is your car track ready? If so, let me know, I'd like to head up to Tulsa and see it run, unfortunately though, our cars are going to be twins...
LOL.. no, my car is far from track ready. I'm still putting together my 370.. It'll be at least another month before she's up and running. Then I'll need to get tuned. I'll let ya know when I'm in OKC getting it tuned

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1357
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1086

This is the combination we used on my Camaro, as we found quite a bit more horsepower with it over the standard ProCharger configuration. Bob
Hey Bob, have you done back to back dyno testing with that truck hat vs the stock fbody hat yet? I'd love to see the results of that test (with both hats using the same filter so we know how much gains came from the hat itself- I already have your bigger filter). I'd definitely buy one if it made a difference.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan

It cant hurt to have the extra small filter on there, path least resistance will draw air from anywhere it can. I also spent some time and radiused and polished the plastic where the big and small filters attach. Not sure that helped any but it only takes a few minutes.

This is what I have used to run 8.90 @ 152 with a F1A and 9.11 @ 149 with a D1SC. It was starting to run out at higher RPM with the F1A but I dont think it would hurt a D1SC much. I have seen the same the same big dyno increases taking the inlet off but it never translated to anything at the track. I'm sure it would kill a F1C/F1R, which it doesnt fit anyhow.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger inlet hat-124.jpg   Procharger inlet hat-125.jpg  
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

kp - where did you get the small filter? I've tried finding something like that but was always worried that it would collapse.

Quick Reply: Procharger inlet hat