Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hotside coating/wrap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hotside coating/wrap

Guys,

Is the purpose of wrapping exhaust manifolds/ hotside piping for underhood heat reduction or some other reasons? Can one purchase from a local hardware or autoparts store, a paint or coating that would reduce the heat, or must you send stuff off for coating... something like jet hot.

Opinions welcomed!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

keeps the heat in...helps spooling too...

can always wrap too with thermotec (thats what I use)...though I wouldn't wrap unless its stainless steel (wrap will rot mild steel very fast)
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard the Swaintech White Lightning exhaust coating is supposed to be one of the best. I am going to have them coat my cast iron manifolds and 304 SS exhaust tubing that runs through the engine bay after I break my engine in.

It only comes in white and it's not cheap, however, it is different than 99% of the exhaust coatings out there. They have a good informational website.

-Dave

Originally Posted by koji777
Guys,

Is the purpose of wrapping exhaust manifolds/ hotside piping for underhood heat reduction or some other reasons? Can one purchase from a local hardware or autoparts store, a paint or coating that would reduce the heat, or must you send stuff off for coating... something like jet hot.

Opinions welcomed!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey didnt you have a F1A? what happened?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

I switched (switching) to a S91 front mount set up. The cops here don't need much of a reason to pull you over... since they are the law... almost 23 years old.. stronger and faster than any human being on the planet, wear dark glasses, have knuckle cut leather gloves, and a gun...and the "I wish I was an Army Ranger" hair cut. To help combat this I've chosen the turbo route... at least I won't sound as fast as the ... and I quote.... "jet engine enhancement"
Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

I went the DEI wrap cause it came in black. I worked really well on the heat under the hood. You could change the plugs after you ran down the track with out burning yourself on the primary tubes. I bought a kit from OReilly's it came with metal zip ties to keep the wrap together. When I did mine I did a search on here and found a lot of info on wrapping them. Start by soaking the warp in water it cut down on the debris from the wrap. Contain nasty stuff that you don't want in your lungs. YOu may have someone tell you that your pipes look like mummies form egypt but o well. haha
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I switched (switching) to a S91 front mount set up. The cops here don't need much of a reason to pull you over... since they are the law... almost 23 years old.. stronger and faster than any human being on the planet, wear dark glasses, have knuckle cut leather gloves, and a gun...and the "I wish I was an Army Ranger" hair cut. To help combat this I've chosen the turbo route... at least I won't sound as fast as the ... and I quote.... "jet engine enhancement"
Dude with a 408 and one of our S91's you can even outrun their radios...lol.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:31 AM
9 Second Club

I just finished doing the DEI setup as well.

Like previously mentioned, soaking the wrap really makes a big difference. An added and probably the biggest benefit is being wet it makes the wrap much more pliable. Also when it dries, it really snugs down to the piping.

I did the DEI heat spray coating, then wrapped EVERYTHING. I wrapped my 6.0 manifolds, my KYTurbo crossover pipes, and my 5" downpipe. It really came out looking excellent.

I'll have the car at the gathering this weekend in ATL if you want to check it out.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

I wish I could get down and see.... post some pics!!!! I've a feeling that if I take a vaca right now, I won't have a job when I get back.... things are pretty tough right now in my industry.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
I just finished doing the DEI setup as well.

Like previously mentioned, soaking the wrap really makes a big difference. An added and probably the biggest benefit is being wet it makes the wrap much more pliable. Also when it dries, it really snugs down to the piping.

I did the DEI heat spray coating, then wrapped EVERYTHING. I wrapped my 6.0 manifolds, my KYTurbo crossover pipes, and my 5" downpipe. It really came out looking excellent.

I'll have the car at the gathering this weekend in ATL if you want to check it out.
Another thing to mention is that the cross over was wrapped before we got it by red83 and when we took the old wrap off, the tubing was practically spotless, some very minor surface rust on the welds but the mild steel tubing was spotless.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Good to know......

Any other ideas on what to sray with prior to wrapping?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely look into the Swaintech White Lightning. It is not paint - it is a thick coating.

Good to know......

Any other ideas on what to sray with prior to wrapping?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 PM
9 Second Club

thought I'd update this thread. I just finished spraying and wrapping mine. I used the DEI spray and then wrapped it with wetted down DEI black 2"x50' rolls.

It took me just under 2 full rolls to get my manifolds, crossover and 5" DP done. We let the wrap soak for approximately 4 hours before applying it. i will say soaking the wrap took the black dye out a bit(as you'll see) but the tightness of the wrap is well worth it. Also, make sure you have some buddies there to help! It's not a one person job if you expect to do it well!!!

The DP looks a little darker, but that's because it was still a bit wet in the pics.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres a better pic of it all dry, by far the cleanest part of the car! lol you guys kicked some *** on that fo sho.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard that wrapping mild steel affects the lifespan of the tubing, especially if the system has been ceramic coated already.
Any truth to this? If so, by how much?
I am considering wrapping my hotside, but since it took longer to fabricate the tubing than I care to admit, I do not want to hurt the longevity of the system.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See that right there is very debatable. Its really going to depend on the application. I know more than one person on here swears the tubing will rust out in 6 months but I have yet to see anything that would suggest that on something thats wrapped and not subjected to massive amounts of water. The hotside on our setup was wrapped before we got it and when we took the wrapping off to re-wrap it the piping looked bran new, only some slight surface rust at the welds. Ive seen countless headers wrapped and on ones that see alot of moisture or very short run times they do form rust quicker. for applications in a dry environment they should last just as long as not wrapping them. The wrap does breath so its not like your sealing the piping up...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
See that right there is very debatable. Its really going to depend on the application. I know more than one person on here swears the tubing will rust out in 6 months but I have yet to see anything that would suggest that on something thats wrapped and not subjected to massive amounts of water. The hotside on our setup was wrapped before we got it and when we took the wrapping off to re-wrap it the piping looked bran new, only some slight surface rust at the welds. Ive seen countless headers wrapped and on ones that see alot of moisture or very short run times they do form rust quicker. for applications in a dry environment they should last just as long as not wrapping them. The wrap does breath so its not like your sealing the piping up...
on soem budget throw together i built using sbc shorty headers, its holding up still, no rot, no rust. i did paint the headers with silver hi temp paint before wrapping, and the truck is still running with it in place.
although its not exposed to heavy rain and weather. and the truck is garaged most of the time.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the car that was at G13?? I was going to bring my T/A up there, but I wanted to wait till it was finished.

Here is mine. I wrapped my hot parts as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Hunter,

Yep, that was me at the Gathering! I wish I could have met you in person. Your SS was a work of art, and the new car you're building is sure to be right on the same level! I am running an old KYTP manifold setup on my car. We weighed whether or not to bring the car down not 100% finished, but honestly needed a weekend to just drink beer and appreciate how far the car has come so far.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Is that the car that was at G13?? I was going to bring my T/A up there, but I wanted to wait till it was finished.

Here is mine. I wrapped my hot parts as well.

Man I wish you had! I would have LOVED to check it out! Your planning on being at the shootout right?

Quick Reply: Hotside coating/wrap