Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Oil feed question

Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 PM
HPM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Oil feed question

I am using a H3 oil pan on my 6.0 S400 build. I took the oil cooler block off plate, above the oil filter off and noticed it is machined out on the back side to let the oil pass through between the ports. If I tap this, is it going to allow the oil to just go pass the feed or is there enough pressure to feed the turbo? Do I need to block off the return side? Pardon my ignorance on this subject, yes I did search and did not find what I needed, I would like to avoid screwing it up. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I had a similar question a while back and the word was it was fine for such. I drilled out the solid "nipple" and tapped it for an angle AN fitting.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That port is drilled and tapped on many builds to feed the turbo(s), works perfect.
It's almost like GM planned for us to turbocharge the LSx right from the drawing board!
Well done GM !!!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Teching In

I have been slowly getting my car preped for a turbo and while I was under it I attempted to tap that very peice. I guess I'm a muscle head cause I ended up craking mine. I had some 3/4" aluminium plate laying around so I fabed up something a bit more turbo worthy. I built this using only a hack saw and a drill press, only took about and hour to carve out. Granted I still don't have the turbo (so it's caped) on but have several hundred road miles without any issues.

Why spend $70 on a leginfielter unit when it only cost $15 to make it!

Last edited by smashmetal; 05-26-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: werds
Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks good but what you broke is what I have.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camarols1
That port is drilled and tapped on many builds to feed the turbo(s), works perfect.
It's almost like GM planned for us to turbocharge the LSx right from the drawing board!
Well done GM !!!
The outlet of that nipple was the perfect size for a 1/8" pipe tap. You just have to love it
Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Looks good but what you broke is what I have.
Just be easy with it then. I was having one of those "Just a little more" days, instead of backing off when I had the chance.
It just seamed like there wasent very much thread penitration when i did mine thats kinda why I over did it.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 AM
HPM
Banned

I drilled and tapped it, then installed a -4 an fitting...worked well. I angled it to pick up more off the back port because that is the filtered oil. Probably doesn't make a difference, but it makes me feel better. Thanks to all!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Oil feed question