Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HELP! - 6 psi Blowing off Silicone Connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP! - 6 psi Blowing off Silicone Connector

My STS kit makes anywhere from 5.5 psi to 10 psi (depending on my boost controller's setting), and it uses a 2.5" to 3" silicone connector just in front of the MAF; but it keeps blowing the connector off!

I've tried double hose clamps at both ends, in addition to 3M Mastic Tape, but every time the turbo hits 6 psi, the pressure blows at the MAF.

I'm sure I can't be the only guy who's had this problem - what is the best way to resolve this problem? A new silicone connector? Duct Tape? Super glue?

HELP!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by great421
My STS kit makes anywhere from 5.5 psi to 10 psi (depending on my boost controller's setting), and it uses a 2.5" to 3" silicone connector just in front of the MAF; but it keeps blowing the connector off!

I've tried double hose clamps at both ends, in addition to 3M Mastic Tape, but every time the turbo hits 6 psi, the pressure blows at the MAF.

I'm sure I can't be the only guy who's had this problem - what is the best way to resolve this problem? A new silicone connector? Duct Tape? Super glue?

HELP!
Is a T-bolt clamp on it? Those should never blow off if torqued properly...
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T bolt clamps are the best clamps for boost. They can take like 30 plus on my talons they should easily take 10psi . Good slicone couplings are also a good thing. There are levels of quality for silicone.

And beaded pipes are a good thing too.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

My father (a 66 YO drag racer) just suggested the very same thing - I'll look into those, Thanks!

Originally Posted by 3800SII
Is a T-bolt clamp on it? Those should never blow off if torqued properly...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

old trick is to use some hairspray on the inside of the coupler and it'll "glue" to the pipe
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fireball
old trick is to use some hairspray on the inside of the coupler and it'll "glue" to the pipe
Nice idea
Old 06-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure eveything is clean. Wipe down with denatured alcohol. Also check your motor mounts. Make sure you dont have to much movement pulling the hose off.

I run beaded boost tubes, regular old 3 ply straight silicone hose, and good T bolt clamps with boost pushing 60psi on the truck pictured in my sig with no issues.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
FormerVendor

If hair spray doesnt solve it, use some super glue, but you have to acetone or laquer thinner both surfaces or it will never grab on to it no matter how tight the clamp it.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Louis
If hair spray doesnt solve it, use some super glue, but you have to acetone or laquer thinner both surfaces or it will never grab on to it no matter how tight the clamp it.
To add to this if your tubes are polished or very smooth rough them up with scotch brite than clean and glue. The rougher surface give the glue more purchase.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

If the tube you are trying to clamp to is really smooth or chrome, none of the above tricks might do it reliably. You really need a lip, flare or bead on the end of what you are clamping to so the T-bar clamp has a mechanical stop to work with.

Any pics of what you are trying to clamp to?

Jim
Old 06-09-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT
If the tube you are trying to clamp to is really smooth or chrome, none of the above tricks might do it reliably. You really need a lip, flare or bead on the end of what you are clamping to so the T-bar clamp has a mechanical stop to work with.

Any pics of what you are trying to clamp to?

Jim
If you can't get them flared, then welding a bead on works but wrapping aluminum wire around the pipe and tacking in place is quick and resembles a flare better than building up a bead to accomplish the same thing. If you are are paying by the hour for welding - a lot cheaper too.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info guys - right now the black adhesive is curing and hopfully this'll do the trick, if not I'll purchase a new silicone connector and some T-bolt clamps and lay on the super glue!

: )
Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
If you can't get them flared, then welding a bead on works but wrapping aluminum wire around the pipe and tacking in place is quick and resembles a flare better than building up a bead to accomplish the same thing. If you are are paying by the hour for welding - a lot cheaper too.
Yep, exactly what I did on my tubing after I welded the shapes together:

I have never blown off a hose.

Jim
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

The black silicone and standard hose clamps (torqued with a 1/4 drive ratchet vs. a 5/16 nut driver!) has held up to 11 psi according to my #1 son, who was in the pass seat reading the boost gauge, as we jumped on the freeway today!

Too much fun!

Now off to get a real Dyno tune, as my mail order tune is close but (IMHO) far too rich!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The stainless T-Bolt clamps are what you want to eventually use.

They are pretty hard to break, do not slip, and for sure don't eat into the silicone hose like screw type hose clamps do.

They are much cheaper now than what they used to cost. At 11 lbs of boost I would want to play on the safe side and make sure than they will never come loose. You don't want to be sucking dirt into your intercooler(s), blower, or engine if one comes loose.

Check your system frequently as there is a lot of movement and flexing, engine, frame, heat expansion and contraction.

Quick Reply: HELP! - 6 psi Blowing off Silicone Connector