Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

T-bolt V Band coupling question

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-bolt V Band coupling question

So, I smacked my crossover pipe (connects from passenger side header to turbo flange) really hard trying to slowly get out of a parking lot I shouldn't have gone in... It hugs my tranny and has been pressed to be more "oval," but I am lowered an inch. I heard the smash and drove home very slowly.

When I get home, I jack up the car and remove the pipe... It was dented but it still looks good (no holes!) lol.

However, my V band clamps had some black gunk, not much but they did, along the inside of the V inside the clamps' three sections. Small leak?

I put one side back on, but when I was putting the other, I over tightened it and it ******* snapped the T-bolt with the nut still attached... I guess I was paranoid about a possible leak and got carried away.

So I took it all off again since I'm making a trip to Napa tomorrow (don't even remember the size of the clamp, so I'm hoping they'll tell me, taking the broken one), but I was wondering if I should add some type of gasket where the pipes' ends meet the others? Maybe some kind of high temp sealant? Should I put some in the V or a thin line on the pipes' flanges or both?

Any thoughts? Thanks fellas.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Anybody?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could do high temp rtv sealant, i just use flange to flange, but have heard some putting some HT rtv between, shouldnt hurt.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

I appreciate that smokinhawk...

I will just do it flange to flange and see if it stays cleaner next time... Time to order one while my car sits on jackstands... ******* nobody has these things locally.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RVT would be a good 'Red Green' fix until you can get some new V-band clamps and/or flanges.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bboyferal
******* nobody has these things locally.
Order extra, I luckily have a shop local now that has them .. but my clamp seems to break every time I take my down pipe off =[
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a unlimited number of v band clamps i would sell if anyone need em.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I actually just found a shop that carries them... After hours of searching online and calling places, I found a place that I didn't even know existed... lol, I ask the dude for their address, and they are 3 blocks away.

As far as the sealant is concerned, I plan to use some even with the new V band coupler... When it was super tight before, it still got a thin coat of gunk. I'll put some on the pipe flanges and then tighten the **** out of the clamp WITHOUT breaking it this time. lol

Last edited by bboyferal; 06-17-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Search this Thread