Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Motor swap into a monte SS...Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Turbo Motor swap into a monte SS...Questions

Hi all,

Lately i have been very seriously contemplating an idea involving my first car. its a 1985 monte carlo SS with a bad motor. My dad and i used to spend alot of time on the car, Later he got cancer and died, and after that, the motor broke and i kinda shoved it to the side, but now i want to do something that would make him proud if he were still here.

I would love to stay on a budget, as much as possible. Here are my plans:

5.3 motor
MP76 turbo
Truck manifolds
60LB injectors
Undecided pump yet
Z06 cam and a very good valvetrain.
LS6 Manifold

So far that is all i have. It will be a 6 speed car, and all the work will be done by myself and my brothers most likely. I have pulled apart an LS1 before and a few Small blocks so hopefully this will not be too hard for me. I know there is a ton of planning and everything that goes into a well rounded turbo setup. This stage is just the info gathering part, and i know anything i need i can find on this site.

A couple questions concerning this "idea". one, Does this setup sound solid? I am looking for a 600RWHP driver, And i know parish had good success with a similar setup. And two, What are a good set of heads to use with a 5.3 turbo motor? I would run the stockers, but can i gain much from going to a LS1 head, or even 317s?

I know its long and annoying, But i appreciate anyone who reads it and i thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1987 Monte Carlo SS that I want to do the same thing with. I also own a 2002 Camaro Z28 that was a 6 Speed from the factory. I ran it for a while with a single turbo/6 speed combo, aobut 2 years ago I sold the single turbo, switched to an APS twin kit and put a 4L80E in place of the 6 speed. I love driving a 6 speed, but with the Turbo you will enjoy an automatic much better.
that is my $.02

Quick Reply: Turbo Motor swap into a monte SS...Questions