Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spark plug gap

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug gap

Is .025" to tight of a gap for a NGK 7 plug? I had them at .030" but someone suggested that my problem losing power over 6000rpm could be do to the spark being blow out. They told me to gap the at what I posted.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No valve float? That is pretty tight on a cold plug. Spark blow out will cause it to pop and back fire is that happening? If so then that might be it. Also what gear and transmission r u running? The dyno should be loaded due to better load on the turbo and motor that my be your issue. I know on mine my power curve looks way different on a stang dyno than a dyno jet power was up on the stang dyno also.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
No valve float? That is pretty tight on a cold plug. Spark blow out will cause it to pop and back fire is that happening? If so then that might be it. Also what gear and transmission r u running? The dyno should be loaded due to better load on the turbo and motor that my be your issue. I know on mine my power curve looks way different on a stang dyno than a dyno jet power was up on the stang dyno also.
It wasn't popping while driving through those rpms. It back fires sometimes when I let off. I am running a T-56 with 3.25 gears. The springs had 160lbs of seat pressure closed and 420lbs open. LME and LMR said the cam and springs are fine. LMR suggested it could also be a back pressure issue.

All I know is I am dumb founded.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve and josh are good guys for info. What size down pipe do you have? is it dump or going through a cat back? I see u have enough turbo with that kypt kit. Can you give me a little detail on the build.? Also dose the boost drop if so how much?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

It's as a 3" do with a cutout open right under the hump on the passenger side. It has TEA 6.0 heads, fast 90/90 setup(selling it now). It used to lose 2psi with the manual boost controller but now I have Eboost2 and it stays steady. When I took the intake off I noticed about an 1.5 inch of gasket was missing from the number 7 intake runner. I don't know what happen there. Do you think 160lbs is enough seat pressure?

Quick Reply: Spark plug gap