Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone have results after adding methanol w/NO tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone have results after adding methanol w/NO tuning?

Anyone have before and after results after adding methanol without changing the tune?

I don't want to be dependent on it in case something goes wrong so I'm NOT going to tune with it. I like the idea of cooler IAT's, more efficient combustion, cooler oil temps and cleaner emissions so more power would simply be an added benefit. Of course I'm still hoping to pick up at least 25-30rwhp without tuning. My thoughts as of now is to stick it on the dyno and keep adding more meth until it quits making power.

What is a reasonable air/fuel to run with methanol? Is 10.0 too low or unsafe?

My current a/f now is 10.7-11.0. How much could it drop after adding meth (to the point where it quits making power)? I'm assumming that after adding a certain amount of methanol that it will drop air/fuel so much that it begins to lose power?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will depend on the amount of meth you use. You are correct it will run richer and if you want to not be dependant on it you might just run a small dose before the turbo to cool the comp and make it more efficient.

Lots of info here
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=99196.0
Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say 'before the turbo' do you mean in the intake tract i.e. before the turbo inlet or in between my intercooler and throttlebody? I thought it was bad to spray meth on a hot turbine?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

^^ yea i would not do that, also all the meth will be going threw the intercooler.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meth will throw off your afr but if you use a ramp style system I dont see it killing power. Your afr is around what mine is also. Locate the nozzle for the meth about 3 inches from the t-body and you should be good. Also try different mixes 50/50 or 75/25
Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably won't make any more power unless you tune for it , or have a problem with high intake air temps to the point where IAT timing tables are pulling timing.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I read a post on Snow Performances website in the forums where a guy added a kit to a 400rwhp car and only picked up something like 8rwhp. So it looks like I will have to tune for methanol in order to reap any real results. Great site btw. LOTS of info there.

My reasoning behind not wanting to rely on it is because I'm afraid something could fail with the methanol delivery but on the site they have this 'SafeInjection' module now that opens your wastegates if the controller doesn't sense flow, say if the pump failed or you ran out of fluid. Therefore, I could run a near max effort tune and if something fails, no boost, huge rich condition and no biggie, right? I just wonder how fast it works. Engine damage can happen instantly. It will need to be nano seconds to get me to run 23plus degrees of timing and feel safe. What do you guys think?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think "SafeInjection" works with the stock PCM if you plan on tuning with it.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

It works one of two ways. You can hook it up to an aftermarket ignition system or use a solenoid to open your wastegates. So I would need the module and the solenoid. Its not cheap but $200 more isn't bad even for the piece of mind.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most would just have the "intake air temp timing" tables pull timing as soon as intake temps rise above what they would normally be when spraying.

Tune WOT fueling to leanest your happy to run without meth,
say 11.8-12.0:1 then add meth until your about 1. richer 10.8-11.0:1

This is how I intend to set mine up.
Should still have a reasonable safety margin combined with dash mounted low level Red LED, and a Green LED that lights up when spraying.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnv
Most would just have the "intake air temp timing" tables pull timing as soon as intake temps rise above what they would normally be when spraying.

Tune WOT fueling to leanest your happy to run without meth,
say 11.8-12.0:1 then add meth until your about 1. richer 10.8-11.0:1

This is how I intend to set mine up.
Should still have a reasonable safety margin combined with dash mounted low level Red LED, and a Green LED that lights up when spraying.
Right on the money there my iat are set that way so if the temps crest 130 in temp it will start pulling timing. But with a exposed front mount I never seen them get that high even under wot on meth or off.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would never lean my car out to 11.8 or 12 without meth. And I always heard you wanted to run a richer AF with meth. 10.5 or so.

I would tune the intake IAT and timing tables but with the APS kit, I can only mount the meth nozzles in the pipe just before the TB, and my IAT sensor is in the neck of the intercooler.

Ideally, I would plumb the meth nozles in the neck of the intercooler and put the IAT sensor in the pipe before the TB but I would have to remove the bumper to remove the intercooler to do this and there is no way im ever pulling that car apart again unless I part it out. I could plumb the IAT sensor in the Intake manifold. That would be much less of a bitch.

How much timing would I run with meth vs without? I'm running 16 degrees at peak hp and tq right now. Should I not past 24* (if that is the norm) even if power is still climbing with more timing? And then when IATs climb, you can set the timing you want to be pulled? So anything over 120* I could instantly go back to 16* of timing?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Restricted User

http://www.propartsllc.com/waterMeth...Controller.php

have installed two of these kits, lots of built in safety features. Super easy to install. Plus unlike any other kit , its all built in and programmed right from the gauge. I saw most of my power added on turbo setup's with picking up 75hp running a single 375ml spray nozzel . Hope to add a second and make even more !