Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need to quiet the car down, a LOT! My idea in here

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to quiet the car down, a LOT! My idea in here

Ok, I know this is FI section but I don't think the guys in the general section understand how much louder things get once highly modified so thier opinions don't count for much lol.

I need to quiet the car way down. Right now with true duals and 2.5" sweet thunders it is insanely loud. I don't want to loose power though and my set-up has a ton of backpressure already, blowing mufflers off at wot. I've had the magnaflow 2.5" mufflers on as well, not much quieter at all. The duals are dumped under the axle so I know that doesn't help but I don't want to go back to a y set-up and I don't want all the extra pipe taking the duals over the axle.

Here's my idea. Everything gets upped to 3". Use Borla pro xs mufflers right off both headers. Then go to an X and dump before the axle. Any opinions on how loud that will be?
Then if that is still too loud, the other option is instead of a standard X, add this:

What do you guys think? Will this quiet things down enough? I want to be able to drive the car and not worry about shaking the whole neighborhood and having to worry about cops every corner or within a mile radious when I'm driving. Having a big engine, big cam, big F2 and big stall make for the loudest car I've ever heard on the street and louder than most even at the track. When I'm excelerating it sounds like I'm racing and minni vans are passing me lol. I need the quietest possible without blocking up the exhaust.

Last edited by rufretic; 06-28-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever consider tailpipes?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

I'm in the same boat, I have 3" straight back to 5" Magnaflow race mufflers, and I can't take the car on dates or talk on the phone because it is so loud. I'm just going back to a y-pipe setup. Kooks ORY with dual cutouts (so I don't lose any power and I can close em) and a Magnaflow catback.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

I haven't finished my car yet but it will be VERY similar to 'Trust's build.

I am running Pacesetter headers, Pacesetter Y-pipe, with Loudmouth 1 exhaust. I really hope that its not going to be too loud. I Love how it sounds right now though.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Kooks with offroad Y and a borla xr1. It's no louder (in the back anyway) then the N/a set up with bigger cam. Now in the front....lol. If you find out how to quiet a F1A, please let me know.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I'd run ORP, stock muffler and tailpipes, and dual electric cutouts.

I ran 3" X pipe and Borla XR1 mufflers with my old YSi setup.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

You're gonna be stuck with the noise unless you get the exhaust to exit the car and not dumped underneith. You can cheat your turndowns out to the sides a bit which is better then straight down. If you have any older open grate bridges in your area take your car across one of them once and you'll see the difference between dumped and not dumped. You can always keep a cutout if you want to open it up at the track. My exhaust is going to be a 4" dp up over the axle and split into dual 3" at the axle. I'm keeping a cutout in there just in case.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I am trying to get my car quieter as well. I had b and b catback with electric cutout and now have hooker catback having put the cutout yet. I thought turbos were supposed to quiet things up a lot? I have no cats presently.
Now do things like my big afr heads and it being a 408 make it louder than a 346 with smaller valve heads? Does lift on the cam make it louder. Have around 590 lift. duration is mellow 210/230. no lope at all with big lsa.
Also wondering does richer mixtures make it louder than leaner?
Also thinking should be better with auto as with the m6 I tend to leave it more in say second in town or fifth on the highway sixth is so wimply and lugs bad so you always have to gear down . Auto cars are quieter I guess since third is 1 to 1 like fourth in a stick.And auto goes to third right away.

I put this spiral twister thing in my 96z vert it is not supposed to restrict at wot but it did quiet things down at lower throttle settings.

Have to crawl under there and double check for leaks again for some reason it sounded really loud last night but not as loud today. Not sure why.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZLEEPER
Kooks with offroad Y and a borla xr1. It's no louder (in the back anyway) then the N/a set up with bigger cam. Now in the front....lol. If you find out how to quiet a F1A, please let me know.
The problem is I don't like how y pipe set-ups sound, I would rather have it a little louder but sound better with the true duals. Is the xr1 more quiet than the borla pro xs? I've heard a lot of people talk about the xr1 but not so much the xs. I wanted to try them because there is a list here of best flowing vs most quiet and they used the xs and it performed in the top in both.

As for the F1A, I've never heard one but if it's anywhere near as loud as my F2 then I understand. This F2 squeels like a pig. Is yours open? I think that's why mines so loud. I need to find a way to fit a filter on this thing because it's louder than my exhaust lol. One thing at a time though.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

I edited my first post because ebay link, now it just shows a pic of what I might try for my X.
Anyone used one or heard one?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if they have our application covered, but I use a Dr. Gas crossover on my built 400 first gen small block in a 1955 Chevy. It really quieted the thing down and smoothed the sound.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rufretic
The problem is I don't like how y pipe set-ups sound, I would rather have it a little louder but sound better with the true duals. Is the xr1 more quiet than the borla pro xs? I've heard a lot of people talk about the xr1 but not so much the xs. I wanted to try them because there is a list here of best flowing vs most quiet and they used the xs and it performed in the top in both.

As for the F1A, I've never heard one but if it's anywhere near as loud as my F2 then I understand. This F2 squeels like a pig. Is yours open? I think that's why mines so loud. I need to find a way to fit a filter on this thing because it's louder than my exhaust lol. One thing at a time though.
No, it has a filter. Don't have nay experience with the xs, but I went form a magnaflow with a n/a 402 to the 408 with xr1 and sounds about the same. The car is probably a litte quieter in fact because of less cam and higher idle rpm. It's just the jet engine noise form the hood that the neighbors love soo much. lol
Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I don't know if they have our application covered, but I use a Dr. Gas crossover on my built 400 first gen small block in a 1955 Chevy. It really quieted the thing down and smoothed the sound.
None of this stuff I'm talking about is made to fit in this car, I just have to make it fit lol. I'll look into the one you mentioned.

Originally Posted by ZLEEPER
No, it has a filter. Don't have nay experience with the xs, but I went form a magnaflow with a n/a 402 to the 408 with xr1 and sounds about the same. The car is probably a litte quieter in fact because of less cam and higher idle rpm. It's just the jet engine noise form the hood that the neighbors love soo much. lol
Do you have a vid of it? I was actually starting to think this F2 is louder than it should be, it sounds really squeely. Here is a vid of what it sounds like x 10 because the vid sounds so much tamer than in real life.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a 3" Y pipe to flowmaster 3-3-4" Y merge to a 4" magnaflow race oval with dump at the axle. Not too loud, flows great (just as well as 3" TD's, dyno proven). I had a 4" e cutout and 3" over axle pipe with cheapo quiet muffler that was really quiet but I had to remove it to clear the TRZ ARB.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a true dual 3" with x pipe, dual 2.75" magnaflows to the axle and its pretty quiet. I dont even mind driving with the tops off and windows down. I use no turndown and blow the exhaust under the axle. I put turndowns on it, and aside from the huge amounts of dust it got quite a bit louder. Get rid of those 2.5" sweet thunders, and put some XR1s or 3" bullets off the collectors into what you have now
Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

boost referenced cutout
Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
If you have any older open grate bridges in your area take your car across one of them once and you'll see the difference between dumped and not dumped.
We were taking our car onto a ferry last year & had to cross a steel mesh bridge. I thought the car died because all the sound went away. It sounded like a stock exhaust!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The tailpipe idea is something to consider. I couldnt believe the difference between dumps and exhaust out the back. You get all of the sound and resonance inside the car with dumps.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rufretic
None of this stuff I'm talking about is made to fit in this car, I just have to make it fit lol. I'll look into the one you mentioned.

Do you have a vid of it? I was actually starting to think this F2 is louder than it should be, it sounds really squeely. Here is a vid of what it sounds like x 10 because the vid sounds so much tamer than in real life.
No video yet. SOunds about right though from the front.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

I went with the borla pro xs mufflers. They fit perfect right off the headers but I've never seen that done. Is it ok to have the mufflers before the x-pipe? Will it change performance/sound? Anyone heard true duals set-up with mufflers right off the headers? The other thing I was worried about is how they will hold up to the heat, they are 100% stainless steel but still.

Quick Reply: Need to quiet the car down, a LOT! My idea in here