Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

quater mile times

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quater mile times

I know this is a broad question but how come it seems like blower cars make awesome power but there track times are not comparable to an all motor car that is making less power around the same weight? It just seems like to me if your making 600 + hp you should run low 10s high 9s all day. Some one please explain.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

a 600hp motor car is far more likely to be set up specifically for drag racing than a 600hp FI car.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

what exactly does that mean do u mean more rpms and gear
Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

tires, rear, transmission/converter, suspension, safety equipment
Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FI also generally is for lower power ranges. NA LS1 are not going to go too much past 450rwhp without starting to do some streetability tradeoffs.
Not so easy NA to get big hp that takes some form of FI. 500,600,700rwhp all pretty doable and even more up to the limits of the engine being used all doable. Now hooking that power is not always easy. As said not every FI build it optimized or built to be a quartermile car. I built my car to be all around.Sure it can run some decent times and decent to me would be low 10s or high 9s but that isn't its focus.
Mightymouse runs 8s at near 160mph yet its still pretty streetable just check out some of his videos of the car on the street.

You can go bigger cube NA of course and see bigger numbers but again eventually its easier to get the power with FI.
And there is the cool factor among others. The look on peoples faces when I fly by with the turbos spooled up.the blow offs venting ..gates dumping..or supercharger whine or nitrous purge..all music to a speed freaks ears. NA is a bit boring to me. Boost or spray never really gets old. You get used to the power of an NA build. For some reason every time my turbos spool and kick me in the *** its like the first time.

Also you cannot just look at hp numbers especially peak hp or peak trq. Area under the curve can be monstrous with FI depending on the type of FI used.That is more important to me than pure peak numbers. Of course its nice if its useable powerband not some turbo that spools up at 5000rpm .

I believe in the best of all worlds. Nothing beats a bit more displacement with a super or turbo maybe some spray on top to quck spool up the turbos and supercool things off.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no turbo expert so dont flame me if i'm wrong but it seems like fi cars especially turbo cars use lower gears in the rear than a n/a car. If you look at the na cars most a4 guys run 3.73 and m6 guys run 4.10 atleast. but turbo cars seem like they usaully run a 3.23 or something like that. this could affect the short time on the cars and they make time up on the top end with high trap speeds.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
I'm no turbo expert so dont flame me if i'm wrong but it seems like fi cars especially turbo cars use lower gears in the rear than a n/a car. If you look at the na cars most a4 guys run 3.73 and m6 guys run 4.10 atleast. but turbo cars seem like they usaully run a 3.23 or something like that. this could affect the short time on the cars and they make time up on the top end with high trap speeds.
Turbochargers like load. So numerically lower(3.07/3.23/3.42) gears are prefered to stay in boost longer and harder. If your car is a pure 1/4 mile car you will still need to gear it for what rpm you want to running through the traps at. I've got 3.46's in my GTO, but I might need to drop to 3.07's to prevent going to high in the rpm band with my TH400. I will try taller tires first, but I can only fit 28" tall.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AjSmoker
I know this is a broad question but how come it seems like blower cars make awesome power but there track times are not comparable to an all motor car that is making less power around the same weight? It just seems like to me if your making 600 + hp you should run low 10s high 9s all day. Some one please explain.
ET's are mostly about traction.

Not a true reflection of a cars performance.

Dont forget, whilst the 1/4 mile is good fun.....Every single road Ive driven on has been longer, less grippy, and with a few bends on it.

So unless you are talking about drag only cars.....the question is pointless.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:45 AM
10 Second Club

You will never buy that blower *****!!! So just be happy with that tsp head/cam!!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Thats not true really, its just a lot of people that build FI cars do it because they can have a nice driver with all the accessories (heavy) and they arent necessarily drag cars. If you build a blower car with drag racing in mind there isnt much difference really in power delivery between a centrifugal blower and a big N/A engine ET-wise. I've had both..

I ran 8.90s with a 347 and smallish F1A (9.17 @ 150 with a D1SC) with a 3300lb car that was built for drag racing. But it still had power steering/brakes and drove around like a stock car with a small cam. No big compression or giant cams or theft recovery, but while 3300lbs is a flyweight compared to a lot of the typical blower cars around its a heavyweight in the N/A drag car world..
Old 07-03-2009, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might be looking at it a little too hard. You know my car and my D1 procharged car went 10.5@136 with a 10 bolt and no suspension work. Now I am out in the heat of the summer working on getting the new suspension set up and not running as fast. I think a FI car does worse in the heat than a NA car does. Also my car is heavy. last year my car weighed 3750 with me in it. I got is down to 3600 this year but that still is really heavy.

But like most people have Said FI cars are VERY streetable do very well at the track for what they weigh.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

I went the time in my sig on a grudge match with a stang he call me out. That was the first time I ran the car at the track with the new mods on street tires. All I have is,Umi tq arm,lca's,panhard,eibach springs and a harden axel 10bolt with ukon 3.73 gears with a sixspeed. After that run I got booted because of no cage and a list of oher stuff but I built this car to be a topend runner. Oh I dusted the stang also accuse me of spraying I told him my ride is a meth addict. But from what I have been told with a good sixty on some slicks she would do a high 9' but Im not into that anymore.

Quick Reply: quater mile times