Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

To turbo or not to turbo that is the question

Old 07-04-2009, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To turbo or not to turbo that is the question

Well I was very excited to turbo my car, but after a year of waiting for my turbo kit to be finished and shipped to me I still am waiting for all the tubing, the hot side of the turbo, injectors, fuel pump, water pump for the intercooler, and the battery relocation kit. All of this has really destroyed my excitment for this project, or for ever trying to make over 400 whp. I'm really considering giving up and leaving my car where it sits and selling my turbo kit. So here's my question is it worth it? I meen I would like to get the motavation for boosting my car back. So my question is will it be worth all the frustration?

Please help motavate me guys lol

Happy fourth everyone

Sorry for the spelling errors I'm on my phone
Old 07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell yea its worth it.. im doing single mp t70 right now.. turbo's are just bad a$$,, seems like everyone is doing them which kinda takes the fun outa of it for me,, i've been in a turbo 4.8 that made 320rwhp 418rwtq i kno not a lot but it sure was fast as hell. and a 80% done ls1 5.7 spun tires at 60mph,, i would stick with it.. dont kno why it takes a year,, maybe money??.. just do the dang thing..!! or sell it to me,, haha..
Old 07-04-2009, 02:41 PM
8 Second Club

its worth it. i just finished my build this week. the entire time i was doing it i was saying this is stupid this is stupid. now that its done i am stoked!!! i had nitrous on the car before and i would empty a bottle in a matter of hours just jackin around. this is like a bottle that never ends, at least until the bottom end gives!!!

i collected parts for 3 months and did the entire build in a week and a half!!!!!!!! i still have ac also!

Last edited by dudeman; 07-05-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
hell yea its worth it.. im doing single mp t70 right now.. turbo's are just bad a$$,, seems like everyone is doing them which kinda takes the fun outa of it for me,, i've been in a turbo 4.8 that made 320rwhp 418rwtq i kno not a lot but it sure was fast as hell. and a 80% done ls1 5.7 spun tires at 60mph,, i would stick with it.. dont kno why it takes a year,, maybe money??.. just do the dang thing..!! or sell it to me,, haha..
Yeah I love turbos I had an 05 wrx and became addicted to boost and that's when I thought a turbo v8 would be freakin sweet! I don't know what's takeing them so long I have the kit completely paid for so I think its just that hp performance doesn't have a freakin clue what customer service is.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

some shs get backed up.. idk.. but you will like the boosted v8 power.. im hopeing for between 480-560rwhp on my 5.3 ,ls6 cam ,853 heads 3angle ,springs.. so i will hope for the best.. good luck
Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

stick with it because on a stock bottom end you could see about 500-600 hp pretty easy. and then save money, forge, and then 800+ hp
Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have heard stories of hp performance not delivering. but it looks like a decent kit.

just keep calling them, so they don't forget about you.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i think i might no the company hes talking about and if it is i doubt hes gettin his kit.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

I had a custom front mount setup done. Its not the prettiest welding, but I didn't care as long as I didn't have to re-weld something every 6months.

I'm running a 70mm turbo with a .96 a/r on the hot side (all hot side parts are jet hot coated as well as the housing) and it starts spooling around 2500. I couldn't tell you what RPM exactly full boost comes on at but it hits very very hard.

I picked the car up yesterday and today was driving it around and its just a blast. There were times were I was regreting taking off the procharger, but now I'm like when I'm driving the car. I had a guy in a Texas Edition Silverado give me the as we pulled up to the light because he heard the turbo starting the spool as we went under the overpass for the interstate. I wasn't even on the gas, I was just driving above 'normal' and shifting at 3k rpms. His nice car and thumbs up just made the feeling of being patient and waiting for turbo setup even sweeter.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsixed
Well I was very excited to turbo my car, but after a year of waiting for my turbo kit to be finished and shipped to me I still am waiting for all the tubing, the hot side of the turbo, injectors, fuel pump, water pump for the intercooler, and the battery relocation kit. All of this has really destroyed my excitment for this project, or for ever trying to make over 400 whp. I'm really considering giving up and leaving my car where it sits and selling my turbo kit. So here's my question is it worth it? I meen I would like to get the motavation for boosting my car back. So my question is will it be worth all the frustration?

Please help motavate me guys lol

Happy fourth everyone

Sorry for the spelling errors I'm on my phone
You're kind of like me. I bought an LSX iron block over a year ago, and its still sitting in a crate. I was going to build a big single turbo (98mm) 422ci with it. I got talked out of it by a few people because everyone said its just gonna be a big headache, over a badass N/A + spray set-up.

Well after about the past 6 months of planning my N/A + spray build......my father said, "you know, you're gonna have one of the baddest LSX N/A daily driver, full street trim set-ups in this country, but the first time you run any one of your 10 different friends who have 1,000+ RWHP FI set-ups, you're gonna be pissed off and you'll wish you went FI."

He's ****** so right......

So, I'm changing direction and going back to 422ci 98mm single turbo. Going big. It'll be done right so I doubt I'll have much problems.

Do it man..........

Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just finished my APS build this week, it was over a year in the making. I'm very happy i stuck with it
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

im glad i just read this. cuz im just starting out and realistically it will be about 9months.

btw, do you guys suggest i buy the bmr turbo k member while it's on sale for 450?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 PM
8 Second Club

get it if you are doing a front mount.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had two twin turbo kits.....never again. Next time It'll be either be a F1A procharged setup or a NA 427.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
I had two twin turbo kits.....never again. Next time It'll be either be a F1A procharged setup or a NA 427.
why? what were they on? didnt make the power you wanted?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeman
why? what were they on? didnt make the power you wanted?
First was a CAS kit on a forged 8.5:1 347 and the kit I just sold was a twin turbo truck manifold kit on a 8.7:1 forged 347. Power was freaking insane, awesome! but when your out of boost, 3000rpm and below the car was very lazy/sluggish and thats where you spend 95% of the driving at. ZERO throttle response = not fun. Plus with all of the oiling lines, and vaccum hoses and **** = engine bay cluster f***. Then I had oil backing up in the turbos which smoked like a **** out the exhaust so I had to reposition the scavenge pump. Then to do basic maintance (which you will have to do) have fun ripping the turbo kit out to get to what you need.

Turbo's on a low CR, LS6 cammed, stock headed 347 is one of the reasons it had no throttle response. My car was like a off/on switch, you either had nothing, or you had everything. My buddies 408 twin turbo is different. His 408 makes alot of power just NA so thats helps ATON with throttle response and turbo lag.

Its just alot of work, alot of headaches and ALOT money to go turbo. To me is wasnt worth it. I look back now a wish I would have went with a D1SC/F1A on a forged 347 or a NA 427.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Launching!

i love my turbo car! just the looks on peoples faces when they hear the wastegate open or the blow off valve burst a sitload of air is priceless and worth the wait! haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To turbo or not to turbo that is the question