Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Heat wrap for rear mount turbo help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heat wrap for rear mount turbo help please!

I am ready to buy some form of heat wrap for my exhaust to wrap from the manifold all the way to the GT88 mounted rear of the rear axle. I am also looking to buy a great turbine blanket. My problem is I am not sure what kind and what brand to buy/use. I ran my return air piping next to the exhaust pipe and everything is a close fit to the bottom of the car. I would say it is a max of half an inch from the exhaust pipe to the bottom of the car and the air return is about one inch from the exhaust piping. So being that it is this close to the floor and my air piping I want something that will hold the most heat in the exhaust pipe. I am not apposed to using Asbestos material for this.

So what type of wrap and what brand is what I need to know.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 to 5 rolls of this header wrap will do the job. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=734 We have used it on STS kits in the past. Bob
Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure to wrap from rear to front so the leading edges of the wrap are under the next round of wrap. The wrap will last a lot longer because the leading edge will not catch the wind like it would if it were exposed:

Here's a photo of mine (not an f-body), where the rear is to the left:

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good and makes sense like roofing on a house. Do I need to wrap it only once with about half overlay? Or do I need to do it twice?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

You only need to wrap once, with overlay. The most popular brand is DEI, which also sells the SS "clamps" and a silicone paint to help it last longer. Sponsors carry it, and you can even get it at your local autoparts if you run low. I used slightly over 2 rolls from turbo to manifold flanges.

Quick Reply: Heat wrap for rear mount turbo help please!