Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Noob to FI, question about blocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob to FI, question about blocks

I have a chance to get my hands on a turbo kit, and possibly a 5.3 motor. My question is it better or safer to turbo a 5.3 block or my ls1? My ls has racked up some miles on it. And I just always here how the iron block is better for boost. I wouldnt be running large amounts of boost, I would just like to keep it low for now. I currently just have a cam only car and supporting mods, and it has over 100k on the block. What can the internals on the 5.3 hold? I would be upgrading the fuel system on the 5.3 if I was to get it. Take it easy on me I am new to this section
Old 07-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're not going big boost the aluminums are fine. I assume you're gonna change the pistons and go forged pistons, so the block will be looked at and inspected while you're at it.
But heck, get the 5.3 just because it'll be newer and its cheap.

Iron is defintiely the better choice when you build a big fella.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

what kind of pistons are in the 5.3 blocks? I am trying to go the safest and cheapest route. Could I make more power on the truck block(stock pistons etc) compared to what I have now?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

also, if I am VERY conservative on the boost is it possible to avoid a lot of the problems I hear of people having?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

c'mon. someone please. I have a buddy coming over with a kit later for me to look at and decide if I want to get
Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say if you gonna stay low on boost (under 10 psi) just stay with the LS1. there are plenty of people with LS1 with stock internals pushing over 500rwhp easily. I guess it all really depends on the maintance and condition of the motor. If you going to upgrade I would go with the LQ4 6.0 truck motor. I've seen people make good power on 5.3's too and they are cheap and plentiful, but i dont see the point in using the 5.3 for low boost if you already have a ls1.

Do you know the condition on the 5.3 because it could be used and abused and not last as long as your ls1 (which you know the condition of because its yours). And the aluminum block seems to work good with boost because people on this forum are making upwards of 800hp with them when they are forged. the iron block is good for huge boost like over 20 if your not going that high i wouldn't worry about the block.

short version: use/start with the LS1 and low boost....future- forge the ls1 or a LQ motor for big boost.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yeah........what sized turbo is coming with the kit?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock pistons will break first no matter which block you use. If you get the 5.3, get it to build a forged 5.7L with. Just slapping a stock 5.3L longblock in there wont help you one bit.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
I would say if you gonna stay low on boost (under 10 psi) just stay with the LS1. there are plenty of people with LS1 with stock internals pushing over 500rwhp easily. I guess it all really depends on the maintance and condition of the motor. If you going to upgrade I would go with the LQ4 6.0 truck motor. I've seen people make good power on 5.3's too and they are cheap and plentiful, but i dont see the point in using the 5.3 for low boost if you already have a ls1.

Do you know the condition on the 5.3 because it could be used and abused and not last as long as your ls1 (which you know the condition of because its yours). And the aluminum block seems to work good with boost because people on this forum are making upwards of 800hp with them when they are forged. the iron block is good for huge boost like over 20 if your not going that high i wouldn't worry about the block.

short version: use/start with the LS1 and low boost....future- forge the ls1 or a LQ motor for big boost.

If i use the ls I will be running low boost, it wont be forged for the time being, it has 118k on the motor. My plan is to get the 5.3, which for some reason I would feel more comfortable with, and possibly run more boost, this motor has 22k on it.

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
The stock pistons will break first no matter which block you use. If you get the 5.3, get it to build a forged 5.7L with. Just slapping a stock 5.3L longblock in there wont help you one bit.
What direction would you guys go on this? Just looking at what I have available to me at the moment. I just always heard that iron was the way to go on this. All things being stock, what motor is better to boost as they sit I guess is what I am saying.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the iron BLOCK is stronger than the aluminum BLOCK. However, the pistons are the same crappy material from the factory on an LS1 an on an iron 5.3. You can replace the bottom end of an aluminum LS1 block with forged internals and go up to 1000rwhp. At the point that an aluminum block becomes the waekest link, you will have surpassed what a 4 headbolt application limitations are for retaining the head gaskets.

That being said, if you are going to build up an engine and have either the aluminum or iron block to start off of, I'd say get the iron one for strength. But only if you are still putting in forged rods and pistons.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

thanks, that answered most of my questions

Quick Reply: Noob to FI, question about blocks