Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed .. Fact and Fiction ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Phamspeed .. Fact and Fiction ??

Well I have done some searching and I have found a few old articles about the shorty header kits (from 2005) apparently the company was short lived like so many turbo companies these days. So I pose the following questions to anyone who has had experience with these kits, or were around when they were.

Were the kits any good, good parts good or workable design?

Does anyone still run them?

Did you really need to relocate the radiator? (do a vertical swap?)

How much of a problem was the exhaust running under the stock k-member (keep in mind I have a rear mount now, so I never lowered my car)

Any other info would be great, hoping there is some guys/girls around here who have memories of them, I have a chance to buy the kit, shorty headers and down pipe pretty cheap and it keeps the AC which is a must for me. Oh and i would be using the t4 PTE 74gts I already have.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Scary .. no one knows?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I remember the kits ran piping under the k-member, and that cause's ground clearance problems. I remember the workmanship being good.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
From what I remember the kits ran piping under the k-member, and that cause's ground clearance problems. I remember the workmanship being good.
Thank you, I have seen pics of the kit, and looked at the parts I was thinking about buying.

Picks of he kit on another car:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1371...72490249CfJVem

Hope the guy don'tmind me whoring the pics out.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

I have seen a few of those setups. There were a couple diffrent designs. Both had pipes running under the k-member. As long as you are not lowered then the ground clearnce while not great isnt that bad. Just be cautious of speed bumpes and pot holes. If the setup is cheap enough then go for it.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, its REAL cheap, and im getting it off of a friend who never ran it, really doing him a favor, I can get it for the same cost as redoing my rear mount .. so I would rather be up front (with the turbo)

As it is right now my 2.5" charge pipe is coming under the k-member in the same place that the 3" DP looks like it goes, and I have never scrubbed it there .. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. Plus I have a really good exhaust shop close by, so maybe some custom reworking
Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

I say go for it then. You shouldnt have any problems.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

I never saw a kit in person but in photos their weld quality and general fabrication was horrible.

How cheap is cheap? If its a spectacular deal then just throw in on there and see what happens.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoClassic
I never saw a kit in person but in photos their weld quality and general fabrication was horrible.
I have done a million searched and looked at all 3 of their kits, and it all looked very good to me, and several other people, I don't know what you are looking at, maybe a e-bay knock of version, I hear some people still selling them.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
Well I have done some searching and I have found a few old articles about the shorty header kits (from 2005) apparently the company was short lived like so many turbo companies these days. So I pose the following questions to anyone who has had experience with these kits, or were around when they were.

Were the kits any good, good parts good or workable design?

Does anyone still run them?

Did you really need to relocate the radiator? (do a vertical swap?)

How much of a problem was the exhaust running under the stock k-member (keep in mind I have a rear mount now, so I never lowered my car)

Any other info would be great, hoping there is some guys/girls around here who have memories of them, I have a chance to buy the kit, shorty headers and down pipe pretty cheap and it keeps the AC which is a must for me. Oh and i would be using the t4 PTE 74gts I already have.
Saw your pm, so i figured i would reply here so others could see. The welding isnt the worst Ive seen but not the best. Technically they could have used longer sections of piping welded together instead of little pieces in some sections, but thats not really an issue. I still have the kit on my car after 2+ years. Im very happy with it. My entire hot side is POR 20'd and then high temp wrapped. You do keep A/C and you do NOT have to relocation the radiator.As a matter of fact, i swapped to the thicker LT1 radiator and still had clearance. Ground clearance isnt the best and my car isnt lowered, but no kit is perfect. Just pay attention when driving and there shouldnt be an issue. Im running a T76GTS with a custom cold side that we made and the turbo inlet ducted to the front bumper opening. Im using JBA shorty headers that were powdercoated as opposed to stock manifolds.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

The original images I saw looked like they had MIG welded portions and then run over it with a TIG in an attempt to improve the appearance of the joints.

I cant find that specifc thread, but I did find these images. If you think this is how a turbo manifold should be made you have alot to learn.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...e-today-2.html

Old 07-15-2009, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

The original images I saw looked like they had MIG welded portions and then run over it with a TIG in an attempt to improve the appearance of the joints.

I cant find that specifc thread, but I did find these images. If you think this is how a turbo manifold should be made you have alot to learn.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...e-today-2.html

Thats not the shorty header kit that he's talking about.Thats the tubular kit.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Is the shorty kit the one that does not even have true collectors, with the pipes crushed into a V-band ring.

I still stand by my original statement that all of their stuff was poorly constructed.

How many miles have you put on your kit in the last two years?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@ NoClassic, I do see what you are saying, that was the first pics I have seen of the work at the collectors and thanks for pointing that out to me, as you said I guess the welding over it made it look a lot better from a distance in all the pics I have seen.

But also with all do respect, we are talking about a budget kit here, and i have seen a lot of peoples custom and home built kits look way worse than this and not fall apart or anything.

And this from the the thread you linked me: "All the pieces look great and I'm very impressed with the quality of the welds and how well everything is made. The header flanges are thick as hell. The mounting pad for the turbo is also thick. The headers weigh about 10lbs each...they are some sturdy bastards fo sho."

Last edited by Super Slow SS; 07-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@ddnspider, thank you for responding, and good idea putting it here instead.

Clicky This is the actual kit I am looking at, although im getting it local from the guy who bought it. So I think it is actually the shorty kit where the drivers side comes forward.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Damn. Even though its shitty I would have bought it at that price.

hahaha
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn. Even though its shitty I would have bought it at that price.

hahaha
im getting it cheaper =]
Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Is the shorty kit the one that does not even have true collectors, with the pipes crushed into a V-band ring.

I still stand by my original statement that all of their stuff was poorly constructed.

How many miles have you put on your kit in the last two years?
actually NO thats not the kit. The shorty kit used exactly what it sounds like. 2 shorty/stock headers to a "y" up to a thick T4 flange.That kit sold like crazy because it was cheap AND made power. The only complaint ive ever seen out of it was ground clearance. At least the parts fit and actually worked unlike alot of other companies whove sold on here. I choose function over form.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I concur, So, I wonder if this kit is better? I have seen the kit you are referring to and it has the collector/merge right under the k-member. Though this kit only has one pipe go under the K on the passenger side and the downpipe under on the drivers side if you dont relocate the alternator. Although I think I will relocate if I can find a kit at a reasonable price so I can run a full 3" exhaust, and remount my CME =]

so do you have this kit or the shorty kit? and judging by you saying you used JBA's im guessing you got the shorty kit, I too am interested in how many miles you have on the kit. And of course ... PICS =]

Last edited by Super Slow SS; 07-15-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The pics posted above were of my old pham kit.

It was a good kit. I gave the headers away to a local drag car builder here in ABQ.

I got tired of smacking either the DP or the crossover tube or both on speed bumps or hitting a dip in the road at speed, so I went truck manifolds.

BUT the construction of the kit is SOLID, the tubing is SS and thick not thin wall tubing at all. Be sure to either coat the headers or wrap em....I rec' both because the headers on mine were close to wires and melted a few.

For the money you get a decent LS1 turbo kit. Get smokin hawk to make you alternator relocation bracket, there is NO way around relocation of the alternator.

...funny that those pics still show up....
J

Quick Reply: Phamspeed .. Fact and Fiction ??