Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil smoke advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil smoke advice

need some opinions. have a tti kit with bb 76mm turbo. getting oil smoke out the exhaust side of turbo (know it is exhaust side as it will do it without intake tract connected) when i get out of throttle under boost or when shifting under boost. i hate the drain back set up and feel that may be part of problem (50-60lbs of oil pressure). goes in front of pan but is a 90 up into the pan with very little drop in line. put restricter in feed line in and i think that has helped some. think it is drain related or seals gone in turbo? hate to take turbo back off as it is no fun to insall (even on lift). could go scavenger pump if that would cure. just looking for some advice before i start tearing it apart. any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,
eddie
Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i reclocked my turbo so the drain outlet was at like 4 or 8 oclock. i know thwy want it down at 6 oclock but it stopped mine....plus make sure your crankcase is vented or has some vaccum in it
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Options are limited.

Use a smaller restrictor. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries to find the right size but when it's done, it's right for that oil weight/pressure.

Use a bigger drain line.

Use a lighter oil to reduce pressure just a bit. What are you running right now?

Scavenger pump solutions are out there but it's money and time as well.

Rick
Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

As far as restrictors, don't run restrictors to solve your problem... Run a restrictor ONLY if to adequately feed the right amount of oil for that specific turbo requires it.

If the problem is, solely, draining oil from a turbo, then you need a draining solution, not a restrictor. As mentioned, reclocking the turbo or running a scavenger pump are the things you should be thinking of.

My turbo sits pretty low, and it didn't drain at all... I got smoke (oil into the dp), and oil in the intake side. Ran a scavenger pump, and now the problem is gone, PLUS I still know the turbo is getting the right amount of oil.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Default oil issue

i am currently running 10/30 mobile 1. this is my 7th turbo project, but first on an fbody and never really had this problem before. i know not everyone is on board with the oil restrictor but i have never had trouble in the past (always the first time though) with using one on a bb turbo and they usually take care of the issue. however the drain back on the TTI kit leaves much to be desired in my book. every other project i have done has had a much greater drop on the line, not only in angle but distance too. just not alot of other options with the placement of the turbo. hate to drop the pan, but it looks like it is either that to get a better drain location or go with a scavenger system at this point.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same problem with my kit my turbo sits so low that the drain is level w the bottom of the oil pan so i get a little drain back when i let off i hate it and wish i could find a solution its an innovative turbo kit
Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Default drain

same with me, i hate it and cant stand to drive the car with the oil issue. it has sat in front of my shop for 2 months and not moved. in that time i have built up another turbo project (87 Mk vii with 302) s0 guess it is time to re address the f body. it would not be so bad if it were not so hard to access the oil pan on these things.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by broke again
same with me, i hate it and cant stand to drive the car with the oil issue. it has sat in front of my shop for 2 months and not moved. in that time i have built up another turbo project (87 Mk vii with 302) s0 guess it is time to re address the f body. it would not be so bad if it were not so hard to access the oil pan on these things.

YUP... lol

I'd neglect it, too, myself...

I've been putting off redoing the oil pan gasket (small leak) on my stock, black Trans Am for, oh, about a year now.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

need some opinions. have a tti kit with bb 76mm turbo. getting oil smoke out the exhaust side of turbo (know it is exhaust side as it will do it without intake tract connected) when i get out of throttle under boost or when shifting under boost. i hate the drain back set up and feel that may be part of problem (50-60lbs of oil pressure). goes in front of pan but is a 90 up into the pan with very little drop in line. put restricter in feed line in and i think that has helped some. think it is drain related or seals gone in turbo? hate to take turbo back off as it is no fun to insall (even on lift). could go scavenger pump if that would cure. just looking for some advice before i start tearing it apart. any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,
eddie
Have you tried a needle valve to reduce the amount of pressure to the turbo? I have great success on my rear mount with this and a restrictor:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#46425k21/=2ufjna
Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Teching In

might be an option.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

do u no what oil pressure u have under boost? my stock gauge sais im at like 75 when i hit boost and im having the same problem u are ith the same kit

matt
Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Teching In

about the same oil pressure as you are, between 65-70 under boost and with rpm's coming up. think i am going to bite the bullet and try a scavenge pump. to be honest with you i do not see how oil can drain at all with the stock tti set up. it was always i big worry of mine when i installed the kit. i am also running a catch can with both valve covers and pcv to intake side of turbo with check valve and oil separator (never any oil in the separator, a little condensation of water sometimes).
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

about the same oil pressure as you are, between 65-70 under boost and with rpm's coming up. think i am going to bite the bullet and try a scavenge pump. to be honest with you i do not see how oil can drain at all with the stock tti set up. it was always i big worry of mine when i installed the kit. i am also running a catch can with both valve covers and pcv to intake side of turbo with check valve and oil separator (never any oil in the separator, a little condensation of water sometimes).
yea i got the same setup im ganna try a scavege pump as well. do i hook the pump up to that oil line or somewhere else?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I am going to fab up a catch can that the turbo will drain into and then pump from the catch can to the pan.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to fab up a catch can that the turbo will drain into and then pump from the catch can to the pan.
I was thinking the exact same thing ..
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

great idea i never really thought of that just gotta finfd a spot to put it lol how big of a catch can u plan on doing?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Been debating a scavenge pump set-up....I eagerly await your results..
Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Teching In

i do not think it will have to be very big. thinking about cutting down an old ac dryer from a chev. truck and using it. i would think that something that held around a quart +- would be more than enough, considering some people are draining straight into the pump and having success. ordered the pump yesterday so i will start at least getting a general idea of the lay out this weekend.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

what kind of pump are u using im ganna start fabbing up a tank today i just dont no what kind of pump to use
Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use the Mocal pump, and when its on it works great, I had some problems with my signal wire for the relay though, but I will solve that when the turbo moves up front in my car in a few weeks.

And for catch can size I think its more important to get something that will allow oil to freely flow out of the turbo more than how much oil it can hold. I'll try to round up a pic I saw a while back that had a great idea.

Edit: This thread, not meaning to ***** the guys thread out but the first 2 pics you can see the device im talking about .. look at the turbo drain

Last edited by Super Slow SS; 07-23-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added link

Quick Reply: oil smoke advice