Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Are one of my APS turbos blown?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are one of my APS turbos blown?

OK guys i think i'm having the same problem everybody else is with there aps turbos. First in the beginning right off the dyno i saw a little oil leaking from the driver side turbo. It was leaking between the rear housing the center section of the turbo. So i decided to try and tighten the clap but that did nothing it was still leaking. At that time i did not have any smoke, but only after a few hundred more miles the car is smoking real bad and burning coolant. i constantly have to fill the car with coolant. And as its running at idle you can see the coolant dripping out of the driverside downpipe were it meets up with the y-pipe. i started to take the car apart and when i was freely spinning the wheels in both turbos the driver side one was not spinning as freely as the passenger side turbo. i think the driver side one was rubbing against the wall of the housing just a little bit. Now the ques is did i blow a head gasket or is that turbo blown?
I've got heads and cam and stock bottom end running 7PSI
587rwhp and 540rwtq on a mustang dyno. The strange thing is the car is still running like an animal and the motor sounds great
Old 07-23-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm weird.. if turbo wheel is rubbing and not spinning freely it is screwed turbo. Not sure why you would see coolant though. I had cracked internal that let coolant into your oil. Check your oil right away and see if you have coolant in your oil or vice versa.
I knew I had big problem when fillilng my car first time with coolant as put like an extra gallon into the car and it wouldn't fill up. That extra gallon went right into the oilpan!

But if the housing didn't crack never really seen blow turbo leak coolant just oil . You can check oil in the air inlet side, oil in the intercooler pipes and tb intake and oil in the exhaust. You have the last already.
Also should check coolant to see if any oil is going into it.
coolant into oil is really not good for things . Get that figured out asap dont' keep driving the car.
Its also possible I guess you lost a headgasket that would explain the coolant loss and would expect white smoke out the back . So is it white or blue. But regardless if your turbo is not spinning and is rubbing the housing its pooched anyway.

My aps so far are doing ok just checke them for spinning and checked for oil nothing yet. But my boost is stock level right now . Just was reading on gto boards some guys have run these things at high boost for a long time on their ls2 even so again have to wonder if some of the f body guys just got some knockoffs or poor balancing jobs.
Mine is think around 2500 miles on the kit now. Like hugger no problems aside from the day one cracked turbo. If you want you can simply block off the water lines and just run oil to see if the turbo is the problem with the coolant. But if you have big oil smoke and its hitting housing not a good idea to keep running it. going to foul out plugs and maybe o2s and it will likely sieze up in the housing completely.

Sucks to have still another one go bad. I do think all of us with bad ones should ship them back to aps and maybe aps can replace them free of charge since it sure looks like they bought knockoffs or their balancing company fraked up.

Course most of us dont' trust replacements much.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM

It would be really nice if Peter or anyone at APS would jump in some of the bad turbos threads and give us a hint as to whats going on. When it was time to buy the kits Peter was all over that, now he's no where to be found.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=2157

If the blades of the compressor wheel are rubbing, shes done.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jamar320
It would be really nice if Peter or anyone at APS would jump in some of the bad turbos threads and give us a hint as to whats going on. When it was time to buy the kits Peter was all over that, now he's no where to be found.
I know, it can be frustrating at times. Its a great kit, even with the price of upgraded turbos really.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it's screwed. Sounds like almost the EXACT same symptoms as mine had.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

same here time for some LG turbos
Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0Wx...om=PL&index=17

lol
Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Um don't take this the wrong way but it said on your little blurb on the new ones that they have zero warranty? For 3k shipped that is a bit worrying. Not saying wont' buy some from you but think will wait and see how they hold up and and what they can put out. At 400 bucks a replacement housing its not too bad when one dies. At 1400 its pretty much like buying a complete new turbo which basically it is minus the exhaust housing . Man if it weren't for turbos needing to be balanced rebuilding them would be so so simple there is next to nothing in them. a few wheels, and little parts. But since they spin at high high rpm and take big heat they do have to have decent parts in them.

I would have hoped for at least a 90 day warranty.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

You know me, you know my shop, we answer our phones and emails, and post on the forums. Some even have my cell.

If you have a failure within 90 days, Ill fix it. Quote it for truth.

What Im NOT warranting, is some tater-tot running 25 psi and beating the dog **** out of them, and I keep rebuilding his turbos for free on his race car because Im a sucker.

No thanks.

Things break, nothing lives forever. Ill give you 100$ and rebuild your turbos free of charge if something should fail that is out of the ordinary.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Quote this for truth too- should I tear your turbos apart, and find metal/bearing transfer on your turbo internals, all bets are off. Trash in the motor ruined your turbos, not me.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds fair enough. Get some more dynos with these on some f bodies. And will be watching to see how they work out for the guys that are getting them now. I would get a set now but want my 4l80e trans first. Three more months till car goes away for winter anyway short season up here. But for sure would like some new ones for springtime.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

im backing louis %110 because i call him more than my own mom and he has always help me out or hooked me up with a **** load of his time this guy is busy i call them so much i can tell you most of thr guys names that work the phones.

ill have my car up in no time and beating the hell out of it like all ways no one drives there APS car like i do that is a fact
Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Launching!

louis, i was wondering if i send you my brand spanking new turbos would i get all of the old parts back?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bondosgto
louis, i was wondering if i send you my brand spanking new turbos would i get all of the old parts back?
Yes, the only piece I will reuse is the center housing. New turbine wheel/shaft, compressor wheel, better bearings, billet center plate, revised oiling and bushing... I could go on... but yes, you will get everything back should you chose to send me your new turbos. it may be more cost effective to sell those complete, as is, on Ebay, as it will save you more money than If I were to modify them.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

My thread just got hi-jacked. I guess what i'll do is a compresion check and then a leak down test and that should determine if the motor is hurt or not. sound right?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Yes. Plug check as well. Give the engine a good check up and a clean bill of health before you go further.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

louis,
what are the APS turbos worth on ebay? 500 each? i know to you they are ****. but if someone was only going to run 10psi what are they worth?

Quick Reply: Are one of my APS turbos blown?