Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Do you think I hurt the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do you think I hurt the motor?

I was replacing a wastegate o-ring 2 days ago and my long winded neighbor came over to chat while I was working on the car. I gues I got distracted and mixed up the boost reference and boost control lines and hooked them up backwards. I got on the interstate on the way to a car show and punched it a little to feel boost and it blew the tires at 80mph!! It felt AWESOME but I knew something was wrong because on the normal 6 psi I run its nowhere near that fast. I immediatly let out, If you notice in the pic it made 22 psi and I never even got to WOT. It was only for a fraction of a second. The car sat at the show for a few hours and crancked back up, ran and idled just fine oil pressure was fine too. I hope I didnt tear the motor up, I wasnt ready for a new engine yet.

BTW bottom end is totally stock & I was running 93 octane.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Also just noticed that it made 20psi for like 3 frames only, it was just shy of 1 second.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably fine, if anything happened it probably would have pinged like hell then made bad sounds, and if it still ran, would have smoked or puked/eaten coolant etc. This is your one 'gimme' with FI - you won't get another...

To be safe, I'd check all the plugs before I fed it any boost.

Jim
Old 07-26-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be fine, luckily it looks more like a spike to 22psi rather than a prolonged creep. May not be a bad idea to do a quick compression tect while you check the plugs.

And who says 4 bolts can't handle 20psi+ w/o lifting the heads
Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your spark plugs don't have the electrodes all beat up, and the engine doesn't sound like it has marbles inside the heads when idling, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about. Bob
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

I'd say your ok if the plugs check out. No KR though. When I had my mishap of 16psi it pulled 5-7* of timing. But my motor's still good. Your IAT's are nice, are you running meth?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeltaT
You're probably fine, if anything happened it probably would have pinged like hell then made bad sounds, and if it still ran, would have smoked or puked/eaten coolant etc. This is your one 'gimme' with FI - you won't get another...

To be safe, I'd check all the plugs before I fed it any boost.

Jim
Originally Posted by The Beast
It should be fine, luckily it looks more like a spike to 22psi rather than a prolonged creep. May not be a bad idea to do a quick compression tect while you check the plugs.

And who says 4 bolts can't handle 20psi+ w/o lifting the heads
Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
If your spark plugs don't have the electrodes all beat up, and the engine doesn't sound like it has marbles inside the heads when idling, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about. Bob
Thank you guys, I feel a lot better, I definatly will check the plugs out.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I'd say your ok if the plugs check out. No KR though. When I had my mishap of 16psi it pulled 5-7* of timing. But my motor's still good. Your IAT's are nice, are you running meth?
Yes, if you look at the main table you will notice it shows 1.1% KR, it pulled the timing 2 degrees. I also have the knock sensors detuned alot because my solid metal suspension would cause the car to pull timing because its so noisey, I never heard it ping though. Very glad I fatened up the boost enrichment table before I drove it this time.

No meth on my setup either, I was amazed at those IAT's also, I had been driving for about 15 minutes before I made that log.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Thank you guys, I feel a lot better, I definatly will check the plugs out.

Yes, if you look at the main table you will notice it shows 1.1% KR, it pulled the timing 2 degrees. I also have the knock sensors detuned alot because my solid metal suspension would cause the car to pull timing because its so noisey, I never heard it ping though. Very glad I fatened up the boost enrichment table before I drove it this time.

No meth on my setup either, I was amazed at those IAT's also, I had been driving for about 15 minutes before I made that log.
I just looked at a log I took yesterday, My IAT's are right at 100, so I suppose that's not bad. But they do get up as high as 120ish after idling for a bit. I am going to install meth after I do my th400 swap. How did the plugs look and what's up with your fuel pressure, is that where you set it?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I just looked at a log I took yesterday, My IAT's are right at 100, so I suppose that's not bad. But they do get up as high as 120ish after idling for a bit. I am going to install meth after I do my th400 swap. How did the plugs look and what's up with your fuel pressure, is that where you set it?
At the track if I dont wait a while with the hood open after making a couple passes I have seen my iat's as high as 150. I guess the cold side gets heat soaked not moving.

My fuel pressure dropped, it should have been higher. I have it set at a base pressure of 44psi and it dropped as low as 35 on the log. I guess the little 255 couldnt keep up. Havent pulled the plugs yet, this happened just last night. I'll post the results.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
At the track if I dont wait a while with the hood open after making a couple passes I have seen my iat's as high as 150. I guess the cold side gets heat soaked not moving.

My fuel pressure dropped, it should have been higher. I have it set at a base pressure of 44psi and it dropped as low as 35 on the log. I guess the little 255 couldnt keep up. Havent pulled the plugs yet, this happened just last night. I'll post the results.
My IAT's did the same at the track. That's why I'm goin to get meth. Alright well get off the computer and get them plugs out

Quick Reply: Do you think I hurt the motor?