Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuning Question and Oklahoma Tuning Question

Old 07-26-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Tuning Question and Oklahoma Tuning Question

So, the first question is where do you all recommend to go in Oklahoma for Dyno Tuning a speed density car. I was going to have Glenn do it but he said he doesn't do Speed Density stuff right now. So, I guess it would be XP Racing?

My tuning questions is, I am still running the 1 bar stock MAP sensor. The kit I ordered didn't come with a new one and made no mention of replacing or upgrading it. I am expecting no more than 8 lbs. of boost. Do I need to change MAP sensors before I go get it tuned? The car seems to run fine w/o it so I am not sure what to do?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune

just give brett at xp a call to set up an appointment for the sd tune and he will tell you exactly what you will need. if you do need another sensor he can have it ready for you when you go in for the tune.

es
Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car will run fine just driving on the 1 bar MAP, because you're not seeing boost. Getting into boost on the stock MAP/MAF is dangerous because you're not tuned for it. If you want to go SD you will at least need a 2 bar MAP because a 1 bar cannot control above atmospheric pressure (1 bar). 2 bar is good until 14.7psi. Call XP Racing and talk to Brett, he can tune it, he did mine and I think its respectable for the setup.

A SD setup, tuned properly, will be more predicable, and better than any MAF tune.

If you have him do it, let me know, I'd like to see this setup and I work down the street from XP.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Your car will run fine just driving on the 1 bar MAP, because you're not seeing boost. Getting into boost on the stock MAP/MAF is dangerous because you're not tuned for it. If you want to go SD you will at least need a 2 bar MAP because a 1 bar cannot control above atmospheric pressure (1 bar). 2 bar is good until 14.7psi. Call XP Racing and talk to Brett, he can tune it, he did mine and I think its respectable for the setup.

A SD setup, tuned properly, will be more predicable, and better than any MAF tune.

If you have him do it, let me know, I'd like to see this setup and I work down the street from XP.
I will have them do it soon. Hopefully in the next few weeks. The company I bought the kit from gave me a mail order tune and I have run the car, probably about 50 miles so far and it seems to run ok. I personally think it's rich and with moderate acceleration it stalls around 4-5k rpm?? but at WOT it runs fine???

They sent me the wrong pulley and it was only making about 4lbs. of boost they are sending the right one in a few days. Once I get that on, the catch can and new belt tensioner I will call Brett. Any ideas on the half assed tune that I currently have the 1 bar sensor? Why does it even work? I get a little lost when it comes to tuning.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Probably super rich because of the wrong pulley and a tune for more air. I'd stay out of boost until you get it on the dyno or at least a wideband to it. It is working because it is a MAF tune, the MAF registers the air coming in and controls fuel etc. for that much air. The problem is with high power, you can 'max out the MAF' where it simply can't keep up, but at that low boost it can just fine, as long as the tune is good.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get by with a MAF tune til approximately 500-550rwhp. Even after that point, you can use a MAF tune, its just adding fuel based off RMP instead of the amount of air coming in. At 8lbs, you probably won't max out your MAF.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
You can get by with a MAF tune til approximately 500-550rwhp. Even after that point, you can use a MAF tune, its just adding fuel based off RMP instead of the amount of air coming in. At 8lbs, you probably won't max out your MAF.
Unless that car of yours is done, get back in the garage and finish it!

EDIT: And on a side not, what size line are you using for your fuel feed?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:59 PM

funny you should mention that, I just finished it up earlier. Just waiting on the computer to come back to me in the mail from the initial 'get it running so I can load it up on a trailer" tune LOL..

I'm using a -8AN feed line
Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Good to know, when are you getting the full tune on it?? I've got to try to stay competitive so tubular k-member and some weight reduction Friday!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Probably super rich because of the wrong pulley and a tune for more air. I'd stay out of boost until you get it on the dyno or at least a wideband to it. It is working because it is a MAF tune, the MAF registers the air coming in and controls fuel etc. for that much air. The problem is with high power, you can 'max out the MAF' where it simply can't keep up, but at that low boost it can just fine, as long as the tune is good.
It's not a MAF tune anymore. I eliminated it when I installed the kit and they tuned it out and for SD when they sent it the first time. I have a Wide Band in the car. It moves so much that it's hard for me to tell but it seems rich to me for sure.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Are you sure you have a wideband? Or is it just a regular AFR (narrowband)?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Interesting. A 1 BAR cannot control boost so I'm lost.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

This is what I bought.

http://speed-eng.com/store/auto-mete...io-p-9169.html

I welded a bung in the I pipe and it has it's own o2 sensor with a guage mounted on the A-pillar
Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

What does it read on the gauge at WOT?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Interesting. A 1 BAR cannot control boost so I'm lost.

That's what I have gathered from everything I have read on this site as well. Maybe that's why it's stalling out on me??? I don't know. If they can't get the tune right this time I'll take it to XP and let them straighten it out.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

What does it read on the gauge at WOT?
I couldn't tell you for sure now. It's been 2 weeks since I have driven it and I only got to make a few WOT runs. Plus the gauge changes so fast I couldn't specify a # if I had too. I'm gonna call them and see what they say about the MAP sensor. We'll see what happens when I get the computer back.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Wow.. thats interesting. I'm baffled as well.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, so I talked to the company I bought this kit from and they said that once the 1 bar is maxed out it adds fuel based on RPM. They also think the reason it was stalling out on me was because of the wrong pulley being on the blower and not making enough boost. I was only making about 4 lbs and should have been around 6-7lbs. It makes sense in my head if the tune was expecting 6-7 lbs. of boost that it added more fuel and since I was only around 4lbs. I had more fuel than I could burn.

They didn't see anything wrong with their tune and are sending it back today and the pulley will hopefully be in today as well.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Hope it works out for ya.. Sounds like the tune is still blindly adding fuel though. I'd definitely put it on the to-do list to get a 2 bar SD tune in the future.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

^ Agreed. If the tune is expecting 8psi and you're giving it 4 it could be dumping way too much fuel. You need a MAP that can control the added kPa because it just sounds like they are "tuning blind" basing it on RPM and what boost *should be*, whereas mine tunes based on what boost actually is. The difference, for example, is my MAP can control based on what the boost (kPa) value is, where yours can only read it, not control it, make sense?

Search this Thread