Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

just got my car together and..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Default just got my car together and..

I just got my car put back together after adding 60lb injectors, hotwire kit and racetronix pump. I sent the pcm out to the company that had tuned the car before I bought it to be retuned for the new mods and now that it is back together it runs like crap... I pulled the codes and I am getting a misfire code, low voltage to the maf gode, and 02 sensor codes. I also noticed when I get on it my fuel pressure drops from 62 to 58 and. I had the tune done for 8lbs of boost but the most I am seeing is 5lbs. The car runs really ruff when you first take off and sometimes it clears up and runs fine and other times it barley runs at all, Im not sure where to start.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a fuse that the MAF and O2 sensors go thru, but i can't remember what that fuse is called. I'm thinkin somethin like 'main engine' fuse or something like that.. I'd start there checking all your fuses under the hood.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there no one around you that can tune it? Getting those 60#ers running right requires lots of logging and adjusting since there is only one or two guys on the entire planet that supposedly has all the correct settings for them. The rest of us have to do it the hard way.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

chevychad, thanx Ill start looking there. There are tuners around here yes, but the other company already had the base tune does and the cost was minimal to have the pcm retuned. It really has be baffled since it runs ok sometimes and then like a turd others, I was looking last night once I got the car hom it looked like the main plastic fuel line going from the fuel filter to the tank has a small kink in it, I dont think that is helping matters, is there any way to fix the kink in a plastic line? like splice in a section of normal fuel line?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

I really think you need to have it dyno tuned. Only seeing 5psi could just be because of running too big of a pulley. It is hard to say exatly what boost certian pulleys will make. When I got my SDCE kit the first pulley I got from them was about 3 psi off from where I wanted to be.

Also a little more info on your fuel system might be helpful. Are you only running the racetronics pump and hot wire kit or are you running the BAP too.

As far as your fuel line you don't want to repair it. Just bite the bullet get a new line and drop the tank and replace it.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the racetronix pump kit and hot wire kit from lonnies performance, does anyone know how much that fuel line is? My car ran a whole lot a better with the 42's and stock fuel pump. I dont know if it helps but my mods are
d1sc
long tubes
ls6 intake
60lb injectors
fmic
racetronix pump & hotwire kit

thanks for all the help guys im getting really frustrated with my car at the moment
Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"eng sens" fuse
may have burned the harness against the passenger side header
Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boosted cars need to be tuned on a load bearing dyno...it is the only way to go..until you do this you will never be happy. Dallas performance in garland, TX was the closet one i could find and the tunes are dead on! I am super please with what they did with my car and would never go anywhere else.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say that it runs good sometimes, when is sometimes? Is running good on a sunny warm day but bad on a humid cool night? If it is running well and then shitty under similar conditions, it's probably not the tune. Unfortunately, the easiest way to diagnose it is to log and see what's going on. Unless you have this capability, then you're stuck having to go to a tuner/shop either way.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

"sometimes" means just that like for example I drove to work about 20miles and the first 15 it ran like crap I stopped and put fuel in it and then it acted fine all the way to work, I let my buddy take it to lunch he drove it like 4 miles and he said it never cleared up the whole way to and from picking up food, after work i drove to his house about another 12miles and it was fine after the first mile. We took it to have codes pulled at the autoparts store and to have them cleared and it ran alright over to his buddys house, left it sit for like 20min and it ran like crap when I left and all the way home. I pulled the connector off of the mass because it through a mass low voltage code and nothing changed it runs the same with the mass unplugged as it does with it plugged in. again I really appreciate all the help and advise this is my first boosted car that I have owned, been around a few but never owned one myself
Old 08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly a split line in the tank, it happened to my old car, and to another car I know of. The car will drive fine sometimes (higher fuel pressure at higher RPM's or more gas in the tank covering the split) and other runs like crap. It got to the point where it was really hard to start. Just something to check out.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

I just replaced the pump, where do you think the split would be? I have noticed if it is down around a 1/4 tank it runs like total crap...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

A fuel pressure gauge will help take the guesswork out of that split in the tank problem.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Regular

I have a fuel pressure guage pressure stays at 62lbs and when you get on it hard drops to about 58lbs
Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem with a small whole in my fuel line, it would suck in air and cause it to run like crap some of the time and other times be fine, do you have a wideband?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm picking the new injectors have not been scaled properly in the tune and its running pig rich,
tuner really needs the car in person for a boosted car, to many variables and things can go bad very quick if you get it wrong.

Quick Reply: just got my car together and..