Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Couple Scavenger Pump Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple Scavenger Pump Q's

So I have been seriously thinking about going with a scavenger pump on my front mount that's in the works right now.... maybe a TurboWerx Part # TWX-175-12V
Price: $229.00

I don't want to go in the oil pan, I would rather dump into the front cover for ease of access for the drill/tap... I assume that with a pump you can route your drain lines to wherever you would like correct?....

Where do most guys mount the pumps? Just down on the floorboard somewhere or what? Hard to find pics...
Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Launching!

valve cover?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bondosgto
valve cover?
Damn, thats so obvious I didnt even think about that... I guess that would certainly be the easiest spot huh...

Does anyone sell a setup for the valve cover or do most just tap into the fill cap or what?...
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why do you not want to tap the pan ? i know it is allot of work, but it will be the best spot. the ls series motors already get allot of oil in the heads, too much even.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 AM
Launching!

oil pan is best. but i would never do it! unless i pulled the pan. so i knew for sure that there was not a piece of metal in the pan. but i HAVE read, that if you keep the oil pan full of oil as you drill the pan (start by fill the engine as full as you can an keep filling as you drill), that way the oil forces the filing out. yes it is mess (an expensive), but this is the only way i can think of that would keep the filings out. then when you tap it, you grease the flutes of the tap to trap the cuttings.
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE READ.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

I know on my sts kit the return goes right into the fill cap. Seems to work fine for most people
Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Well in the end Im also no sure that I would have enough drop in my drain line to make it to the pan, so thats why I was thinking scavenger pump....

Maybe I need to look more carefully at the pan...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

I think a scavenge pump would be a good idea. You may need some kind of restriction for it ie:nitrous jet fitting(someone correct me if I'm wrong). I hear mocal makes good quality scavenge pumps. Or you could even do a self contained oiling system ?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

So does anyone else think that the valvecover will "overload" the top end with oil, and that the front cover would be better than the valvecover?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

if you have a restrictor on the oil feed for the turbo, i don't think you should have a problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't use a restrictor in the oil inlet.

I am almost finished with my TT build and I am also going to run a scavenger pump up front. I'm actually torn between using a stand alone oiling setup since it can be had for cheap.
I plan on tapping my valve cover at the front for a return if I go that route.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

why not ?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by elias_799
why not ?
I would assume there is an inherent risk or starving the turbo of oil? Maybe not with the perfect size restrictor, but how do you know how much to restrict?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Because I don't think he will need a restrictor with an adequate oil drain setup.
I guess I should have been more clear in my post, or not said anything at all. I think the "Should I use an oil restrictor" is not a one size fits all Mod. There are so many variables that play into this. Such as, Oil feed line, drainl line, Oil pressure, BB or journal bearing, brand of turbo etc...
Some companies suggest using a restrictoer, some don't. But I think he is better off trying it without a restrictor first instead of potentially starving it of oil.
And there's usually more turbo failures caused by too little oil than too much.
I'm no expert and I would talk with someone like FI about this. Hopefully someone will stop in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

So at this point Im leaning to scavenger pump into the valvecover... Thoughts?

On another note....what would be the problem with going in where the low oil sender is? I realize on a gravity feed it wont be above oil level... but with a pump, would it really matter??
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't want to return below the oil level, just a headache there. I have the mocal pump and it works fine, there is a way to test your turbo to see if it is getting enough or to much oil and i don't know why some of the big turbo houses haven't posted this information on common turbos and stickied it.

Basically you hook up your feed line and put a measuring cup under the turbo (return line off), let the car run for a min at idle and see how much oil you get, then again at high rpm (higher oil pressure) and there is a range for the amount of oil per min your turbo should get. Call the mfg of the turbo and get this info .. that is the be all end all to weather you need a restrictor or not.

As for oil return I tapped the Oil pan, but knowing I was going to be building a motor in a year anyway, I filled the pan to the level I was drilling with cheap oil, tapped slow cleaning the bit then took the plug out of the pan an ran a few qts through it to get the junk, started the car and then removed the filter to check, and there were no pieced inside the filter and no signs of trouble a few thousand miles later.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you end up going valve cover, it is cheap and easy to have someone TIG a -10AN fitting into an aluminum cover. Even if you do not end up going that route, all you have to to is either put the right cap on that fitting, or swap your valve cover back out for one without the fitting.

Quick Reply: Couple Scavenger Pump Q's