Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS turbo oil draining system????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS turbo oil draining system????

Hey guys,I was wondering if any of you that have upgraded to the LG turbos or other, were having any problems with the stock APS oil draining system ,like turbo smoking or what have you ?Im waiting on my LG turbos as i write this and am thinking of putting a scavanging system on my ride while the K member is out because im not trying to hurt these $2800 new turbos and have to drop the K member again LOL Im running a 2 breather setup now on my valve covers,so i dont think crank case pressure is a issue at this point with this current gravity setup .Im just wondering if the drain location in the oil pan isnt maybe a little high for where these turbo sit?. Im looking at getting some input from you APS f body guys as to wheather you think a scavanging setup would be a waste of money or not?
Thanks as always !Barnat

Last edited by barnat; 08-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Launching!

thought all of the aps kits run a pump
Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bondosgto
thought all of the aps kits run a pump
negative ghost rider. They gravity drain, although not much decline to them.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F body kits have gravity some other cars kits have pumps. LG said 10/12 needed scavenger on the f bodies so it sounds like good idea. Thats why I bought one and plan to put in on ,likely after upgrade to same turbos as Barnat and others. Just waiting on a bit of dyno and track and reliability feedback.
I think I am getting some smoke on decel have to double check myself just buddy lookin at car as I went by under boost and it might have been rich smoke.I am very rich on decel.
You shouldn't hurt the turbos Ed by trying things with no recirc. If you start to see smoking then add it on.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superman09
negative ghost rider. They gravity drain, although not much decline to them.
Try no decline at all LOL Ive sat under this car with my K member out of it for 2 hours last week comparing the turbo out let flange to the oil pan fitting and ide have to say its dead level LOL and theres no way a teflon core hose is going to bend to what you'de need it to do! The only way i'de see APS 's gravity setup working,, is if they hard lined it and got it (WAY) up into the turbo oil return somehow without useing a oil return flange.The hard line almost needs to be ((angled as soon as it leaves)) the turbo to even have any chance of a decline before it reaches the oil pan IMO LOL and is why im opting on a scavanging pump setup on mine verses the gravity. Its too much work dropping the K member to install my new turbos to be taking them out again a month later because APS 's gravity setup isnt to par! Even if they could have got the turbos up another 1/2 or 3/4 '' i think they may have drained correctly or lowered the oil pan fitting that much and the APS recomendation of running a quart of oil less (LOL) which would have been something for you guys to post about LOL
Heres some mock up pics of my scavanging can that im making
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow

Last edited by barnat; 08-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:43 PM
9 Second Club

i put a pump on my car and it help out alot
also change my oil with VR1 20w-50 and that helped even more
Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tomz28
i put a pump on my car and it help out alot
also change my oil with VR1 20w-50 and that helped even more
just curious, how do you know either of these changes helped?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club

because it would smoke all the time idle, crusing, and WOT. now it only smokes at WOT LOL the turbos are still bad
Old 08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so barnet, you are making a drain pain. then having the pump pick it up from there? why not just pick it up for the turbos?

also i think your idea is great. you just will probly need to run a nother quart in it.

with you plan where are you going ot run it back into the motor at?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
so barnet, you are making a drain pain. then having the pump pick it up from there? why not just pick it up for the turbos?

also i think your idea is great. you just will probly need to run a nother quart in it.

with you plan where are you going ot run it back into the motor at?
Because i didnt want to pull a vac right at the oil return flange and maybe pull oil away from these race type bearings in which the oiling is more critical then the ball bearing type turbos and take a chance of hurting these new $2800 LG turbos. LOL Plus and (most importantly) ,if i were to run lines straight to the turbo oil return flange? the turbo oil would have no where to drain apoun engine shut down ,because the lines would be full of oil and oil sitting in a turbo isnt good and may be cooked or coaked as they say LOL Ill let them both gravity feed down to the top of my can,which will be vented on the top somewhere,then ill run my scavanging (feed) lines to each bottom end of the can and probably then dump them (return lines) into the valve covers somewhere. I was going to dump them right back into the original APS oil pan fittings, but think it may be a pain trying to stay away from the exhaust manifolds and the AC compressor thats in my way on the passanger side ? I still may try though .Maybe even the opening up the passanger side oil pan fitting to say a AN 12 and Y both of my AN 10 scavanging (return) lines into a Y block (like the INCON TT used) and dump the single AN 12 (after the Y block) into the oil pan {if theres room}? I wont know till i set the K member back in to see if theres room to do it that way or not? Ill let you know what i ended up doing with pics LOL
I also had to make a fuel reg and tranny breather bracket because my scavanging pump is going to sit right where my fuel reg use to be .Heres a pic of that too that i just finished up today and painted.It actually worked out pretty too, because it hides that open space in my engine bay where all my vac lines and stuff were exposed before
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow

Last edited by barnat; 08-17-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ well for us guys that havent cut holes in the pans yet, this idea will work great.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
^^^ well for us guys that havent cut holes in the pans yet, this idea will work great.
Thanks Big Bird !Ill post some pics of the pump that i had Johnson HTP make for me some years back that i was making for the INCON TT that ill be using again

Quick Reply: APS turbo oil draining system????