Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

larger intercoolers

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default larger intercoolers

I have a C5 with a P1SC1 blower running 9psi. I have the old style kit that comes with the 3 1/2" intercoolers, but I have upgraded teh bracket and have 4" over radiator tubing.
Would there be any benefit to installing the larger 4 1/2" intercoolers (with teh same plumbing)
Just wondered if the larger intercoolers would cool the charge a little more, even with the smaller plumbing
Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theory says a larger core would help cool the charge more as it would spend more time in the cooler, although you may lose a little boost pressure for the size difference ..
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure if the few degrees of additional cooling, without going to the larger plumbing for better flow, would be noticeably beneficial.
I have Meth injection to cool it at higher boost, but just wondered if it would be worth a couple hundred $$s and the time to swap out the intercoolers
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe larger ICs should be less of a restriction so your boost should rise a bit, and the charge air should be cooler further adding to power potential. Do they get good airflow to/from them now? Will the extra thickness inhibit that airflow at all, or add weird bends or kinks in the plumbing? How much $$ are we talking for this upgrade, once you sell the old ICs for ~15-25 cents on the dollar?

Jim
Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's got good airflow to them. The tubing now is 3", so I would have to run a "transition" of some sort to get it up to the 3 1/2" cooler inlet, then back to 3" again.
The cost is $225 for the pair.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty cheap, especially when you sell the old ones. If you ever think you will upgrade your blower to a D1SC or larger, I would go for it, or if you plan to road race it. If you don't, save your money - adding a 50 shot of nitrous will work really well with the P1SC and you can get a basic kit for close to that, way bigger payoff in terms of performance.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: larger intercoolers