Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin STS system for FBody?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin STS system for FBody?

caught wind of this on GMHTP ; http://blogs.gmhightechperformance.c...t-2/index.html

Apparently this is a fab up by Squires him self...

i'm assuming the Y pipe had to go and its setup more like the other twin kits they offer....

has anyone heard about this?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes he did it. it still have y-pipe/ look above the turbos there is one tube that connects them
Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 AM
TECH Resident

Really? I don't know why, but that seems like a lot of excess piping, but on the other hand, its makes the over all installation a breeze, with the kit being a remote bolt on & all. Do people usually run long tube headers with sts kits?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

no. i believe testing has been done and shown were that is bad.

but i wont lie i had one sts kit. and hated it. will never do that again.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

So they mostly stick with stock exhaust manifolds? I'm asking because I've actually embraced the STS design, and love the Twin Vette kits they make. I'm actually considering a twin-remote mount diy roughly designed off of a STS Vette system, it looks like it be very cost effective (south of $3K)
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
no. i believe testing has been done and shown were that is bad.

but i wont lie i had one sts kit. and hated it. will never do that again.

Why did you hate it?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Why did you hate it?
I HAD one too... too much lag (if you are a stick) and too much pipping. oil pump is in the back of the car (on the STS kit, not DIY). bad placement of filter. and there are MANY little tricks you have to do to help out the system's inefficiencies
Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!!!!
I wanna see more, intresting idea.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
I HAD one too... too much lag (if you are a stick) and too much pipping. oil pump is in the back of the car (on the STS kit, not DIY). bad placement of filter. and there are MANY little tricks you have to do to help out the system's inefficiencies
i think the reason for the lag is the choice turbo....

http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/pdfs...1_02_Final.pdf
Old 08-12-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Very nice!!!!
I wanna see more, intresting idea.
it really is, and I think that the diy twin rear mount, hell, a STS twin rear mount with 62mm turbos is not only cost effective, but just plain sexxy!
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IT_SS
it really is, and I think that the diy twin rear mount, hell, a STS twin rear mount with 62mm turbos is not only cost effective, but just plain sexxy!
after you own one, you wont think so.

why i didnt like, where to start.

got water in my motor cuase sts said it was ok to drive it in the rain with there kit.

there oil pump went out and killed my turbo.( let me say it didnt go out. it just seemed to not flow as much oil as time went on.)

always hit pipes

went thought idk how many filters( the rubber from a burn out. just dont come off easy)

could only run one subframe connector. and i dont car how much sts did testing on it. that **** tube they use sisnt a good subframe tube.

no there was some good stuff. like i had a guy in a suit and tie lay down on ground to see turbo. that was funny

and it is unique, but it becomes a pain in the ***. had a biker whipe out behind me and slid under the car. in the process bent some tubes(now that isnt sts fault.) but if it was in engine bay. that wouldnt have happend.

i think you are right that you can do it for cheap. but FI and cheap dont go together. but if i was ever to do a rear mount again i would try and put it in my t-top spot. out of the ground area
Old 08-12-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the reason for the lag is the choice turbo....

http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/pdfs...1_02_Final.pdf
I disagree. I had the GT67 with a .96 a/r, it did spool a little "slow" to me, but I could have bought the .81 version, but highway racing would have killed my power up top. I also had stock manifolds coated and wrapped all the way to the turbo. Also a better cam and it still spooled "slow" to me. But it made crazy power up top
Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

got water in my motor cuase sts said it was ok to drive it in the rain with there kit.

there oil pump went out and killed my turbo.( let me say it didnt go out. it just seemed to not flow as much oil as time went on.)

always hit pipes

went thought idk how many filters( the rubber from a burn out. just dont come off easy)

could only run one subframe connector. and i dont car how much sts did testing on it. that **** tube they use sisnt a good subframe tube.

no there was some good stuff. like i had a guy in a suit and tie lay down on ground to see turbo. that was funny

and it is unique, but it becomes a pain in the ***. had a biker whipe out behind me and slid under the car. in the process bent some tubes(now that isnt sts fault.) but if it was in engine bay. that wouldnt have happend.

i think you are right that you can do it for cheap. but FI and cheap dont go together. but if i was ever to do a rear mount again i would try and put it in my t-top spot. out of the ground area
I didn't have these problems, the only real idiotic problems I had were cleaning the filter EVERY month or it would get VERY dirty and my car was my DD back then, now it just sits in the garage collecting dust and parts til I have everything for my new set up
Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
I disagree. I had the GT67 with a .96 a/r, it did spool a little "slow" to me, but I could have bought the .81 version, but highway racing would have killed my power up top. I also had stock manifolds coated and wrapped all the way to the turbo. Also a better cam and it still spooled "slow" to me. But it made crazy power up top
Right, should have explained what I meant. My understanding is the the higher AR, the slower it spools down low, which would explain the why it felt so slow to you. It also show why people like small twin vs. large singles... Did you have low compression heads?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

always hit pipes

Well, when I say 3K, I mean the turbo kit it self, I'm not including the suspension, tranny, forged internals and all the other things. The STS design is a good concept, as far as installation goes, I would personally have performance exhaust shop mount it. There's not such thing as the perfect power adder, and if there was, I think we'd all be pretty bored with it...
Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think Big_Bird_WS6 is trying to tell you that you really need to read the sticky if you think that you'll get away with spending just 3K for a turbo setup:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
I think Big_Bird_WS6 is trying to tell you that you really need to read the sticky if you think that you'll get away with spending just 3K for a turbo setup:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html

Amen,

you will start with 3k, then it will jump to 4, then to 5k and before long you should ahve just bought a good setup or have that exhuast shop fab you up one under the hood
Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Big Bird & Pagreg ::

I hear you guys and I totaly agree with you, in the real world, it would be more than 3k, but how much more? Like I stated earlier, 3k would only cover the turbos and the piping. After that's, that's when I can realistically see a **** storm being created, but it still catches my eye. I personally know guy (a few of you may know him too) with an STS C6 Vette', His name is Greg and he and his brother run SmokinVette.com (his car was also on super cars exposed & jay leno's garage), after seeing the car in action, and really taking in the technology that's involved, I firmly believe it can be done.

I won't say it can be done, cheaply...but I will say it appears to be a gutsy solution to heat issues.

So turbos, inner cooler, waste gates, bov and piping fab = 3k give or take

Everything else = my first born..

And once again guys, I really like the input, keep it comming, its a learning experience for me!

Last edited by IT_SS; 08-13-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I had a custom built one on my old Firebird, and I often scraped the ground with the charge pipe.

That is when I thought of this idea:

If you are going to run the charge pipe then what would be much better is to run it along the passenger side of the vehicle and make the bends com up through the right splash gaurd and wheel well. The pipes will NEVER scrape that way. There is just enough room to run the pipes that way. You can also get a 4 to 5 foot piece of Purosil hose to bend around the top of the wheel well. The piping should enter the intercooler from the right side of the vehicle and come all the way around to the driverside.

The twin setup is sweet.... I am sure that anybody can make the entire setup for way less than 3K includindg two turbos and the oil system..
Old 08-13-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right, should have explained what I meant. My understanding is the the higher AR, the slower it spools down low, which would explain the why it felt so slow to you. It also show why people like small twin vs. large singles... Did you have low compression heads?
stock 853 cast heads with no work. Just patriot dual springs and push rods

Quick Reply: Twin STS system for FBody?