Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Steer me in the right direction .. 91mm turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steer me in the right direction .. 91mm turbo build

ok i need some input from the guys who have been here and done it . i pulled the forged nitrous 347 or of my project car and im going to put it into my fbody (98z28)

questions are about my other project car this is what i need the helpa nd advice on

i already pruchased the turbo (s91) and a tial 60mm wastegate . building everything around this turbo set up .

im sticking a mock up motor for the time being in the car while the fab shop does all the mounting and fabrication. there is not much room in there so it might be tricky .

now my questions are and i have search but would like to hear from the been there done that people .

im looking for power around 700-800rwhp on low boost and pump gas and 4 digits numbers (**** i would be happy with 1,001.5rwhp) on meth or race gas turbo is rated at about 1500 so the turbo is fine ..

still havent made up my mind on heads or block but im leaning torwards a tsp 408 with high quality parts in it . as for heads still dont knw .

question #1
will a iron block 408 make my projected hp goals ? im guessing i would have to use a after market head like a afr to keep from lifting the heads at higher boost as well as larger head studs .

ideas sugestions ?

question #2
and as for the intake . i have a 90/90 now but i heard that yes and no for boost .. its a m6 car so i will be spinning it 7+k i was also thinking a cheaper alternative a ls6 manifold with a turck style ported polished 80mm tb .. or better yet a edelbrock carb style intake witha elbow ad 90tb . clearance is a issue .. i had to cut a hole in the hood for the fast 90/90 with the nitrous outlet plate kit .
so maybe i might stay with that fast or maybe a ls6 or if it fits witha a low profile elbow the edelbrock . wich will make the most power torque ?

question #3
and for the fueling im looking at a big external pump and have no idea on the inj .. im guessing 60lbs are too small .. maybe 96 pounders ??

question #4
also what would be a good cam spec for my 4digit hp hunt and rpm limit .

so guys that have alredy acomplished and done what im trying to do let me hear your toughts and input . money is not an issue as im willing to spend what ever it takes (altought it might take years if this gets expensive and im not rich) ..

most of my money is getting tied up in the fab work and it might be a month or 2 before i purchase the short block and maybe a lil after for a set of heads . so i got pleanty of time to do research so i only have to do this once ! thanks !!

oh and if anyone ask this car has no goals it needs to accomplish (other than 4 digit number). has no finishing date , i dnt want it to run any specific time im not building it to race a specific class and is basically my money pit . the car has no purpose for it to be built and its way beyond over kill for the street and its just around to keep me occupied and happy and is essentially a waste of hard earned money lol
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well for what i know the 408 with the right internals will easily handle your goals and has been well proven. you also will easily hit your goal of 800RWHP on pump with the correct tune. this is all only of course if you have parts that are well matched together. as for fuel system the 96ers will do fine i cant say anything about external pumps but that doesnt mean there is anything wrong at all with them especially when it comes to simplcity. me im going with the twin intank walbro when i get to this point. cam specs, i have no clue cept for the fact that you dont need anything big and lumpy when it comes to a turbo set up....im sure others can get into more detail about all of this with you. good luck on the build
Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have have a twin walbro set up now didnt knw this would handle all the hp i want .

as for cam ?? who knows ?

im looking at a 408 with callies forged internals, main studs and maybe a set of dimond pistons for boost .. looking over the price list at tsp and the prices are perfect for what im trying to do ,

anyone else ?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

walbro 340s? set up im looking at is the lonnies performance or nasty performance twin intank pumps...good for 1000RWHP...its a complete set up though.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a setup like you're speaking of. The first thing I'd do is come up with a budget. These turbo builds add up very quick. I spent $34K in the first 10 months of my build. I'm right at 2 years into it now and I'd hate to know how much I've actually spent on it. Here's a quick rundown of what I'm running. It sounds like our goals are somewhat the same. If money is no option I'd go with an LSX and 6 bolt heads. If not the 408 will work. With this power you need a beefer tranny and rear end if you don't already have that. My setup.

Weber racing 408
W2W cam 242/238
OFI front mount kit with S91 turbo
96lb injectors
LS2 intake w/holley 90mm TB(vic jr is very popular as well)
BMR turbo K member for dp clearance
Turbosmart 60mm wg and megasonic bov
dual bosch 420l external pumps w/boost ref fpr, -8feed/-6 return(-10/-8 isn't a bad idea)
dual sump aluminum fuel tank
BS3 controlling everything
ETP 225 heads
Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I have a setup like you're speaking of. The first thing I'd do is come up with a budget. These turbo builds add up very quick. I spent $34K in the first 10 months of my build. I'm right at 2 years into it now and I'd hate to know how much I've actually spent on it. Here's a quick rundown of what I'm running. It sounds like our goals are somewhat the same. If money is no option I'd go with an LSX and 6 bolt heads. If not the 408 will work. With this power you need a beefer tranny and rear end if you don't already have that. My setup.

Weber racing 408
W2W cam 242/238
OFI front mount kit with S91 turbo
96lb injectors
LS2 intake w/holley 90mm TB(vic jr is very popular as well)
BMR turbo K member for dp clearance
Turbosmart 60mm wg and megasonic bov
dual bosch 420l external pumps w/boost ref fpr, -8feed/-6 return(-10/-8 isn't a bad idea)
dual sump aluminum fuel tank
BS3 controlling everything
ETP 225 heads
That's only $20K up there.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

well budjet .. hmm

ima say about 10k for for the turbo kit with ic ..(probably be alot cheaper )..
ima say about 10k on the full long block with a intake maybe even a sheet metal if i budjet it in for a used one ..
5k misc for fuel system will probably run a large external pump and either sump the stock tank or run a fuel cell if i end up swaping the solid rear . and tunning and meth system .

so maybe about 25k(more if need be) im pretty sure i can do it cheaper but i knw how this adds up .. this is the 4th time a do a 10k+ build on this car .. lol and fucken thing hasent moved since 06 lol ..

as for right now . i have a brand new o mile gm t56 .. will run for as long as it last .. anyone sell a 1000+t56 ?(i knw auto is best but 6 spds are sooo much funner ) i have a 04 cobra irs right now in the rear .. about to recieve a midwest 9" for my f body and will take some mesurements and see how much work it would take to swap over from a irs rear to a solid axle set up and maybe do a full tub .. still undecided !

theblur98ss how much power you pushing right now at what psi?

so should i keep my fast 90/90 i dont thinkg the elbow edelbrock combo will clear my hood . but i am considering a sheetmetal manifold also .

whats a good set of lifters and rockers that will handle my needs ?
also whats a good set of thick deck heads for boost ?

i got a few good leads for well built boost 408 for under 6k wich are good enough for my goals ..

anyother suggestions ??

will a stock harness coils and ecu be reliable at the power levels im looking at ?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

im also guessing speed density tune is the way to go with a 2-3 bar map .
Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
That's only $20K up there.

Weber racing 408 $4500
W2W cam 242/238 $500
pushrods, lifters, rockers, timing chain, oil pump, gaskets $800
OFI front mount kit with S91 turbo $10K
96lb injectors $500
LS2 intake w/holley 90mm TB(vic jr is very popular as well) $600
BMR turbo K member for dp clearance $650
Turbosmart 60mm wg and megasonic bov $650
dual bosch 420l external pumps w/boost ref fpr, -8feed/-6 return(-10/-8 isn't a bad idea) $1300
dual sump aluminum fuel tank $500
BS3 controlling everything $3000
ETP 225 heads $2500

There's $25500 just in that stuff. Add in exhaust, ATI damper, 4l80e tranny conversion, boost controller, speed inc alternator relocation, canton overflow setup, battery relocation and you can see why I quit keeping track. I did all the work myself so no labor costs. Don't forget all the trips to the auto parts and hardware store. All the emergency ebay and summit orders. Gauges, bolts, clamps, stainless rad/heater hoses, silcone couplers, t bolt clamps, heat sheilding, -an fittings, stainless power steering hoses, oil restrictor, filter, etc. When I started I figured $20k would easily get it done. If I haven't doubled that it has to be close. I still need to have my setup tuned so figure that in also. I just realized the ironic part is that's almost exactly what the payoff is on my house. These cars will drive you nuts.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha ha talk to me about it .. i have 3 of these high dollar project cars ..

will the stock wiring and ecu be able to controll everythign at this power level ?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

also what size core ic will cover my needs ?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Woops, I forgot about the $5,000 in fabrication, plumbing, WG, BOV, IC included under "kit". **** adds up quick!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone else any help with my build ?

Quick Reply: Steer me in the right direction .. 91mm turbo build