Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

does this "sound" normal - TT Z06 rev?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this "sound" normal - TT Z06 rev?

well here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0uv3aQALVw

it kinda sounds like the turbos are spooling more than they should at idle, rev. Out the tailpipes, I could hear a slight turbo whiste even at idle, might suggest that my AFR is off, however I have the regulator at 60 and the car is tuned to 14.7:1 at 58, doesnt sound like it would cause much of a difference to me.

Any other suggestions?

car is a 427 with baby netics T3/T4's 0.81 a/r, and the exhaust is a complete catless dual exhaust.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

my patience has its limits haha
Old 08-15-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Rear mounts
Old 08-15-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blazin
Rear mounts
well I wont be posting this if they were rear mounts because ill expect them, but they arent, thats why im mentioned the car has a full lengh dual exhaust.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

If your in closed loop the computer should make adjustments to keep 14.7AFR's. I didn't know that running rich or lean at idle would cause your turbo to spin noticable faster.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows the oil feed to them? I thought it as a dam rearmount from how it sounded lol. I woud recheck the turbos and see if they are the right ones. That vette has a big rig turbo whine to it lol I want to say they may be too small but I dunno. Maby you just have a well built dam good flowing kit. Oh is that sound on a cold motor?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
hows the oil feed to them? I thought it as a dam rearmount from how it sounded lol. I woud recheck the turbos and see if they are the right ones. That vette has a big rig turbo whine to it lol I want to say they may be too small but I dunno. Maby you just have a well built dam good flowing kit. Oh is that sound on a cold motor?
Oil feed seems pretty fine, I put on 0.9 oil restrictors on each turbo feed as the kit designers recommended (after having white smoke problems) that seemed to cure the issue, im currently using 20w-50 and will switch to 0-40 that should flow a little more through the restrictors, but I dont think it has anything to do with the oil though, but who knows.

It does sound wicked and every single person on the road has to stare lol, but I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong. I will go over it again and check the AFR, a rich AFR/ or less timing can do the same thing, since it makes the exhaust pulses denser etc...

However you are right about the turbos being a little small for a 7liter engine, those turbos generate enoumous torque, but would max out on power below 6000RPMS on a motor made easily spin a tad above 7000RPMs.

ill check a few things today and see what i come up with.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think you found your answer lol. The turbos are on the small side and that big motor just spins them harder and faster. I bet boost is instant lol. I be more concern about back pressure now. Is there a better turbo option for you?