Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

High Engine Temp. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Engine Temp. Question.

Ok guys i have seen many post on this forum about this and most post are about people running 210-220 degrees.
This is my car: 1999 vette with a procharger and dual intercoolers pushing 9lbs of boost, 200 shot of nitrous, meth injected, 2500 stall, $3500 tranny with intercooler. Without the nitrous i am pushing 498hp to the rear wheels.
Before the procharger and meth i was running around 200-210 degrees, which according to all the post i have read that is average.
Here is my problem: on a 85-90 degree day i have a running temp of 245!! Both fans workin their butts off. The mechanic that put the supercharger on says it is running hot because the intercoolers are blocking the radiator through the front vents.
My question is this, If i put a 160 stat in it(still has stock one in it) would my temp drop to at least get me back to normal or below normal, or should i just have the fans reprogrammed to come on earlier( they are set at stock on/off times too)?
I know they are designed to run hot for fuel emissions, but obv. I am not worried about fuel emissons. and at that high of temps. i dont want anything to break or detonate.
Any help is appreciated and if this post is in the wrong forum I apolgize in advance.
Thanks alot,
Carjam
Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

First off it sounds like you have a good setup, if you are running forced induction detination is you enemy. A 160 thermostat should already be in your car, you need to get it ordered and put it in. Then get your tunner to set your fans to open before your thermostat opens. If you don't want to put the money into your tunner then just put the stat in and you will see lower temps right off the bat. I hope your not in a warm state like florida but if your in a shity cold state like michigan your motor won't blow up for a couple of years. Goodluck!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do both. It will still hit those temps just take longer to get there. This is why I have a dual 1" core racing radiator in my car. A crossflow would be even better.

My car saw 230* plus with the mild mods in sig and the bigger rad fixed me up... I already did the shopping for you and nobody could match their price. LG, SLP, Ron Davis, BeCool etc... Great quality piece (beautiful welds) to my door in a week. Order a cap too. Just a little modding to lower airbox plastic and cutting the top radiator hose to make it clear the alt. pulley was it...... Being 1 1/16" wider you will have to do this with any 2" thick radiator.......
Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

The thermostat won't do much for you unless you have the fans come on sooner, or are driving down the highway. If you go with a bigger radiator, make sure it wont interfere with your intercoolers.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
The thermostat won't do much for you unless you have the fans come on sooner, or are driving down the highway. If you go with a bigger radiator, make sure it wont interfere with your intercoolers.
Agreed on the fans. My rad. is the exact same dimensions as OEM just thicker.....
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Depending on where the intercoolers are mounted, a thicker one could cause a problem. I'm sure it's not that tight but he said they block it now so I thought it may be something to look into. How much did you pay for your radiator?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

About 550 with the tranny cooler. All the others wer 600 plus and the Ron Davis 700 plus
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I ordered the 160. I'll put it in and have the fans reprogrammed accordingly. If that dont work, I'll have to go the radiator route. I'll try this first to save $550. I thought that would be the way. Just wanted another opinion. Thanks for the help
Old 08-30-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Can you get a fan to go on the intercoolers? I'd contact EPP to the right in the sponsor list, they sell a lot of pro charger setups, and can set you in the right direction.

Let me know when you get it together. I know some dork with a red TA and turbo that thinks he's bad ***. I'd love to see you bust him up..
Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

I know another dork with a black WAY HIGH dollar camaro that I'm pretty sure u can bust him up because I can hang with him with a slipping *** tranny u need to hurry up and get those temps lower so we can see a nice race or two
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dredoggy
I know another dork with a black WAY HIGH dollar camaro that I'm pretty sure u can bust him up because I can hang with him with a slipping *** tranny u need to hurry up and get those temps lower so we can see a nice race or two
You cant hang.. Especially from a dead stop, hook and book, by by dredoggy
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
Can you get a fan to go on the intercoolers? I'd contact EPP to the right in the sponsor list, they sell a lot of pro charger setups, and can set you in the right direction.

Let me know when you get it together. I know some dork with a red TA and turbo that thinks he's bad ***. I'd love to see you bust him up..
You can put electric fans on intercoolers but they should be BEHIND the core so they don't interrupt airflow at speed. Plus a row of fans in front of a beautiful IC would look tacky, IMO.

I read somewhere the LT1 radiators have a better cooling capacity than LS1's?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You can also try wrapping headers and charge pipes if you haven't already done so. A can of hi-temp silicone spray and header wrap from autozone goes a long way.

Quick Reply: High Engine Temp. Question.