Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

where or how do you coat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where or how do you coat?

I see and hear people always talking about them getting all their hot side pipes or turbo housings being coated or them doing it themselves. Just was wondering where you can go/ or send in to get your stuff to get coated... and how much?
also if i can do it myself what are the procedures on how to do it and where to order the coating. I hear ceramic is the stuff to go with

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Launching!

You definitely do not want to attempt to ceramic coat yourself haha.

I personally have used jet hot coatings. I would call them, make sure to get the 2000degree rated coating. I got a set of motorcycle pipes that have a flame thrower setup coated by them in their 2000deg flat black and have had zero issues with it for over two years. The "Chrome" like stuff will not hold up to turbo hot side temps. It will just fade into a dull silver color over time unless you do an inner coatings.

DO NOT let ANYONE coat the inside of your hot side unless they specify it is for turbo use. There is only one company I know and trust to do inner coatings. The coating is called XMC coating and was designed for use in turbo deisel applications. If you do "regular" coatings on the inside, they will burn off and go through your turbo and will destroy it. XMC is the only inner coating I know of that is designed for turbo use, this should also allow you to do a chrome like finish.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

awesome thanks for that info... do they have a website i can visit to check them out? or a number i can call. I was wondering if you know a price range for something like the flat black coating?

Thanks Adam Connell
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know how its done? Ive tried google and cant really find the procedure.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RexDiablo
Does anyone know how its done? Ive tried google and cant really find the procedure.
That's because the process is generally proprietary, afaik. I'm pretty sure it's very similar to powder-coating, but I suspect the metal being coated is subject to a proprietary pre-treatment process that no one is going to willingly give out. In addition, the coating is HIGHLY specialized....again, proprietary.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

techlinecoatings

I've been using the TechLine Black Satin for years. Great DIY product that holds up on headers, turbine housings, downpipes, etc. You can read up about it on their website, but basically you sandblast, spray, and cure in an old oven. You can usually pick up an old oven for little to nothing at a 2nd hand thrift store or off Craigslist. I suppose you could resell it after you're done and get your money back, if you only need to use it once.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 09-01-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: non sponser url
Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RAACCR
techlinecoatings

I've been using the TechLine Black Satin for years. Great DIY product that holds up on headers, turbine housings, downpipes, etc. You can read up about it on their website, but basically you sandblast, spray, and cure in an old oven. You can usually pick up an old oven for little to nothing at a 2nd hand thrift store or off Craigslist. I suppose you could resell it after you're done and get your money back, if you only need to use it once.
Any idea how an internal coating would be applied? Kinda scary on a turbo setup (potential flaking, etc...) but it sounds like the stuff you use is great for 80% of the DIY'ers on this board.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 09-01-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by salemetro
Any idea how an internal coating would be applied? Kinda scary on a turbo setup (potential flaking, etc...) but it sounds like the stuff you use is great for 80% of the DIY'ers on this board.
I've only used the Black Satin exhaust coating. But, on their website, they have some tech articles, videos and a forum that discusses their products and applications.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam Connell: where are you getting that information about coating the inside?

Ceramic coating is a thermal BARRIER, not an insulator. If you do not coat the inside of the pipe you are trying to control the heat on, it will not do much other than look nice on the outside..the ceramic needs to be inside in order to trap the heat in..

The process, nor the product are a secret. Ceramic is a liquid..sprayed ideally through a good quality airbrush gun..a regular old HVLP can be used but its a bitch to avoid runs and drips that way. Coating the inside is a matter of closing off one end of the pipe and running the ceramic down inside the pipe.

You have two basic choices..air cure and oven cure. Air cure are just that..it air dries and its ready to install. Oven cure is just what it sounds..placed in an oven to cure. Either way ceramic, like most high temp coatings, does not fully cure until it has seen full operating temperatures, its a bit more fragile until its been ran on the motor up to temp and cooled a few times..

What stops most people from doing this at home is the cost of the equipment, and the mess is makes. I'm going to be getting into ceramics soon to compliment my powder coating operation..just haven't cleared an area of the shop for it in order to keep it away from the powder equipment.

Hopefully that helps.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

check out these guys, I use them. They have the thermal coating which is a black that is good for up to 2200 degrees and now have a newer ceramic that is good for I think they said 3000 degrees

Cradin Industries

Last edited by smokinHawk; 09-01-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: non sponser info
Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

Ceramic coating is a thermal BARRIER, not an insulator. If you do not coat the inside of the pipe you are trying to control the heat on, it will not do much other than look nice on the outside..the ceramic needs to be inside in order to trap the heat in..

The process, nor the product are a secret. Ceramic is a liquid..sprayed ideally through a good quality airbrush gun..a regular old HVLP can be used but its a bitch to avoid runs and drips that way. Coating the inside is a matter of closing off one end of the pipe and running the ceramic down inside the pipe.

You have two basic choices..air cure and oven cure. Air cure are just that..it air dries and its ready to install. Oven cure is just what it sounds..placed in an oven to cure. Either way ceramic, like most high temp coatings, does not fully cure until it has seen full operating temperatures, its a bit more fragile until its been ran on the motor up to temp and cooled a few times..

What stops most people from doing this at home is the cost of the equipment, and the mess is makes. I'm going to be getting into ceramics soon to compliment my powder coating operation..just haven't cleared an area of the shop for it in order to keep it away from the powder equipment.

Hopefully that helps.
Good info! I always thought that the inner application of ceramic was a bit more "technical" than simply capping off one end and sloshing the stuff around inside the pipe.

If some one were to DIY inner coat would it be best to "double cure" in an oven, or just bolt it all on and go?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

Hopefully that helps.
when you get things going, do you think you could maybe show us some pics of doing the inside of a pipe, sounds to me like you just tape off one end, fill it up and dump it back out?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting topic. Would like to hear more from people who know.
It was my understanding that Ceramic would not last over 1700 degrees. Extreme Silver (Jet Hot) in particular.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Makes me wonder if coating just the outside will do the trick or would that help at first but in-turn help shorten the life of the metal
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Well if you were in Texas and went to Cradin Coatings, Craig the owner would take you thru a tour of the shop and show you all kinds of coatings and how they work. He had a piece of metal with the black coating that I went with, Heated one end until it was cherry red and I held the other end and it was cool. Now I am talking about a piece about 2" wide and 2" long....Sliver is not as tolerant to heat as the black coatings, I told him I was for go and not Show, so All of my stuff is coated with the black...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

does craig have some resonable pricing? i just want my manifolds and hot side coated...
wondering how much that could possibly be?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by importkiller_SS
does craig have some resonable pricing? i just want my manifolds and hot side coated...
wondering how much that could possibly be?
You know I honestly dont remember what I paid for him to coat my entire hot side, I "Think" it was maybe around $300.00, I have been buying so many parts I forgot, But I just got my turbo coated and it was $30.00. Give Craig a call and he can tell you more or less. Check out their websit..Tell Craig you know Moe...

Cradin Industries

Last edited by smokinHawk; 09-04-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: non sponser info.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

hmm interesting SilverGhost!
I guess the ceramic has something special in it? Is there a place to just buy the liquids? I got all the equipment to bake it (my mother is playing with ceramic all the time...) Especially here in norway its pricey to get parts coated! Sending stuff to america is often not an option!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used exotic coatings for my aps manifolds and exhaust housings.......they used their 2000 degree black coating. It looks good and is holding up good

I just wanted something to keep everything from rusting and looking bad
Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Launching!

swain coating

Quick Reply: where or how do you coat?