Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

front mount guys, who runs a DownPipe UNDER the k-member?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default front mount guys, who runs a DownPipe UNDER the k-member?

hey guys, I have the ebay(PTK) kit but went with a T76 turbo instead of the T67. However, the downpipe doesnt fit so instead of making some BS downpipe the fries my motor mount, i was just going to run it under the k-member. anyone have pics of this?!?!

oh yeah, my car is VERYYYYYY low (adjustable coilovers) so i could lift it up if absolutely necessary.

ORRRRRRRRR should I just run an open downpipe dumped before the K-member?

keep in mind i live in so. Cali and this is a "street legal" car muahahah
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowered car and downpipe bigger then 2 inches and your going to have problems.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get solid mounts, you will never cook those. i have them and the shaking is not noticeable.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

its not really the motor mount issue, its fabricating an entirely new DP to fit through there is a butt-load of work. so im thinking of just running it under the k member or dumping it before the k member... if i run it under, i will put a flex coupler in it to i dont mess up the turbo if i bang the pipe on a speedbump... im just wondering if anyone has done this and if so i want pictures!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are scarred of modifying a downpipe.....you never should have gone with an ebay kit. You can not run one if your car is lowered....PERIOD. My friend and I both used to run 3" DPs under the kmember and we hit it plenty of times on our stock height cars. It usually happens when driving fast on the street. The slightest dip or bump in the road will make the car "bounce".
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 4" DP that goes down toward the pass side k-member and then turns down and dumps right before
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

how loud is a car with the exhaust dumped before the K?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
how loud is a car with the exhaust dumped before the K?
thats what i want to know!!! i guess ill find out next week when i get my fuel pump. thats all im waiting on
Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
If you are scarred of modifying a downpipe.....you never should have gone with an ebay kit. You can not run one if your car is lowered....PERIOD. My friend and I both used to run 3" DPs under the kmember and we hit it plenty of times on our stock height cars. It usually happens when driving fast on the street. The slightest dip or bump in the road will make the car "bounce".
haha i didnt say i was scared, im just saying im lazy and dont want to spend multiple hours making a DP with a bunch of bends when i can make one in 30 min thats nice and smooth. i kinda just want to dump it now though! ive done enough fabrication with this kit already!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure how loud it will be. Im guessing loud. car should be running next weekend. heres a older pic i have of the DP in the cars early stages

Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Man that sucks that your down pipe doesnt work. It took alot of prying and adjusting to get it to go in but it did go. I think i spent about 2 hours getting it to all line up. I am using a tc78 with my ebay kit. I dont had all the y pipeing that comes with the kit on the car with a loudmouth exhaust and it sounded like complete crap. Now i run just the downpipe. The car spools alot better and sounds better also. It is not that loud with just the downpipe.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran my rear mount with a 3" DP that was about 2ft long that just dumped and it was behind the car but wasn't much louder than full exhaust cars I have heard. Def. bearable for me. Dumping it in front of you might be different thought and its going to blow a lot of crap up in your engine bay, so be ready to clean!

On that note the kit im putting in this weekend has a DP that goes under the K-member so i'll try to post pics if I get it on .. pending I find someone that will weld some things for me on labor day
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just build a flat pipe like I used to do when I worked in Nascar. You build it out of 2 pieces of 1 1/2" x 4" X14 ga rectangular tube welded side buy side the long way and then build adapters to connect the round DP to it. Worked great for the side exit pipes we did on those race cars.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I'd just build a flat pipe like I used to do when I worked in Nascar. You build it out of 2 pieces of 1 1/2" x 4" X14 ga rectangular tube welded side buy side the long way and then build adapters to connect the round DP to it. Worked great for the side exit pipes we did on those race cars.
+1, thats how mine is run under the k-member

Quick Reply: front mount guys, who runs a DownPipe UNDER the k-member?