Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A must do modification (F body APS)

Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A must do down pipe waste gate modification (F body APS)

As most of you all ready know,, or not LOL The worst part of this kit is the passanger side down pipe ((WASTE GATE)) location Its a mother ****** to remove the down pipe because of where the wastegate is and makes pulling the down pipe almost impossible because you cant get to the down pipe flange studs UNLESS,,, (LOL) you drop the exhaust and tranny crossmember and lower the back of the tranny enough to get up in there enough to access these.Removing the waste gate to access these studs is another ******* project all on its own because the location of the (top) waste gate stud, which is burried up top and behind the waste gate itself )and is practically impossible to get to. So while i had my **** apart and putting in my new LG turbos,I drilled out the threaded side of that top stud waste gate hole and tapped the other side of the down pipe flange to a 10mm 1.25 thread which the hole was allready that tap size opening by chance, Plus,,,I didnt want to drill it any bigger !!So more or less i reversed the way bolt goes in .Now if i ever need to remove it for any reason at all ,I can now put a 12 point socket on it and slide a (1/4''drive extenstion up threw there like in my pictures to get to it now and make life alot easyer if i ever need to replace the waste gate or pull the tranny for any reason.I also had these bolts custom made as this 10mm size thread had such a big socket head that i had 2 options .First, either go with a allen head which i didnt like because of the chance of stripping it or to have a larger 7/16 (12 point) bolt rethread to the 10mm 1.25 thread size.The later idea worked out really nice for me If any of you are in need of a custom made bolt for this mod let me know. My bolt guy charged me $40 to set the machine up to do these 4 bolts so i figuired $10 a bolt if intrested
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...0motification/

Last edited by barnat; 09-13-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like good idea there Barnat. I am even considering going to turbosmart 38 to maybe give me a bit more room since the tials are so tight with 4l80 swaps especially on that passenger side. But it would be nice to be able to remove the gates easier if necessary. Like to change out springs as even doing that looks hard with the gates on the downpipes ,talking the auto cars, not bad on the manual cars.

So Barnat how soon till you get your new setup working. Tom z28 was my big hope for the first one but sounds like he has had a major setback.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Looks like good idea there Barnat. I am even considering going to turbosmart 38 to maybe give me a bit more room since the tials are so tight with 4l80 swaps especially on that passenger side. But it would be nice to be able to remove the gates easier if necessary. Like to change out springs as even doing that looks hard with the gates on the downpipes ,talking the auto cars, not bad on the manual cars.

So Barnat how soon till you get your new setup working. Tom z28 was my big hope for the first one but sounds like he has had a major setback.
Yea,I read about that and talked to him on the phone about it. That sucks Its just weird that his input shaft is all of the sudden hitting now?It wasnt before he pulled the car apart ,,,Right? Weird !I just got my K member up in there yesterday with the turbos and now got have the Alt and starter to put back in with the front susp stuff and she'll be running here KNOCK ON WOOD!!!LOL within a week or so .I think im going with the (Evans coolant) this time around for even (more cooling). Im allready running the Be Cool rad with the Evans water pump which is working fine for me sdo far , but would like to be at 180 or 160deg verses 200deg where im at now
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 AM
9 Second Club

thats a good idea for sure ED but that is the nice thing about a auto al kinds of space to get it out of the there

my car will be up and running as soon as i figure a few things out

and the reason the input is hitting is because its a callies crank. i need to punch the plug in the back of the crank in more

the three of us should just start are own fourm LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ i am coming too. lol
Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM
9 Second Club

^^^^ your more than welcome LOL
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL Yea, We cant forget Big Bird! LOL Well call it APS Done the right way! LOL Maybe well just leave the APS letters out of it Huh?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A must do modification (F body APS)