Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ninetres 2-step installed!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ninetres 2-step installed!!!!!!!

Okay, so this thread is kinda boring......until I post videos off it in action! Was at Synergy today and had one of their 2-steps installed! IT IS SICK. I haven't got to play with it a whole lot. It was set at 3000rpms and my converter only initially flashes to 2700ish on the Tbrake.....and takes a few seconds to build to 3000 rpms. I think I need my converter loosened up a tad--which I really don;t want to do.

It makes ~4.5psi at 3000rpms....but my converter takes to long to get there. I need to be able to stage, and jump on the 2-step making ~7to 8 psi.

I update this thread as I have more news/videos!!!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you played with the tune while on the break? Adding timing and pulling fuel?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the converter could be too tight like my old one was.

On my PTC I build about the same boost at 3000 rpms as you but I'm not against the converter. With the PTC converter I started spooling a lot faster due to getting to the higher rpms. With the two step at 4000 I build 10psi in about 2.5 seconds.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Have you played with the tune while on the break? Adding timing and pulling fuel?
No. There were a few complications and it took all day to install it. I didn't test it until ~5:30pm....then had to load the trailer and drive 4 hours home.

Why would you pull fuel? I thought the whole idea of this thing is that it sends unburnt fuel into the turbo causing it to spool faster? I definitely would like to have Rick do some tuning while using it....but I just didn't have the time today.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
Sounds like the converter could be too tight like my old one was.

On my PTC I build about the same boost at 3000 rpms as you but I'm not against the converter. With the PTC converter I started spooling a lot faster due to getting to the higher rpms. With the two step at 4000 I build 10psi in about 2.5 seconds.
I see your converter is rated at 3600rpms. What does your converter stall to RIGHT when you floor the car on the Tbrake?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninetres
No. There were a few complications and it took all day to install it. I didn't test it until ~5:30pm....then had to load the trailer and drive 4 hours home.

Why would you pull fuel? I thought the whole idea of this thing is that it sends unburnt fuel into the turbo causing it to spool faster? I definitely would like to have Rick do some tuning while using it....but I just didn't have the time today.
That works great for manual cars, but with an auto you want to load the motor against the converter as good as you can. I really didnt notice any difference in boost with and without a 2 step on the brake, just used the 2 step to fine tune the launch rpm/boost. Alot of people loosen the converter without checking other peices to the puzzle and then they have a converter that is not as efficient up top.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 AM
9 Second Club

Alot of people loosen the converter without checking other peices to the puzzle and then they have a converter that is not as efficient up top.
Great point. But I still need my car to "whack the tachomoter" to 3500+rpms rather quickly. I race on a protree in an organization that DQs you if you double yellow someone.....so I only have a couple few seconds TOPS to be at an appropriate launch RPM/boost level, once my opponent and I roll into the second beam.

I am still confused to why pulling fuel would cause the car to spool faster??? It wouldn;t change the load against the converter like you said IMO. Or would it? I know a "little about a lot" but am definitely not an expert in any one category.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Great point. But I still need my car to "whack the tachomoter" to 3500+rpms rather quickly. I race on a protree in an organization that DQs you if you double yellow someone.....so I only have a couple few seconds TOPS to be at an appropriate launch RPM/boost level, once my opponent and I roll into the second beam.

I am still confused to why pulling fuel would cause the car to spool faster??? It wouldn;t change the load against the converter like you said IMO. Or would it? I know a "little about a lot" but am definitely not an expert in any one category.

Thanks for your advice!
I'm no expert either just sharing what has worked for me.

Alot of the fast car's have dual caliper rear brakes, 3-steps, and TUNING to make the converter work. Some are standing on the brakes to get heat in the turbo and maybe a few lbs of boost on the footbrake, then grab the trans brake and the boost be there by the time they need it.

All I was saying is I would go over the tune and play with timing and fuel to see if it helps the spool on the brake...most car's have some room for improvement there. It may like more fuel and timing but most can take alot more timing and less fuel in the 1-2-3-4 psi area. Any change you make that makes the car make more hp and torque on the brake will help it climb that rpm you need. Every small bit helps.

It may need to be loosened, but I was just reccomending to try tuning for it first and testing with it.

Last edited by black98ws6ta; 09-10-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 AM
9 Second Club

I'm no expert either just sharing what has worked for me.

Alot of the fast car's have dual caliper rear brakes, 3-steps, and TUNING to make the converter work. Some are standing on the brakes to get heat in the turbo and maybe a few lbs of boost on the footbrake, then grab the trans brake and the boost be there by the time they need it.

All I was saying is I would go over the tune and play with timing and fuel to see if it helps the spool on the brake...most car's have some room for improvement there. It may like like more fuel and timing but most can take alot more timing and less fuel in the 1-2-3-4 psi area. Any change you make that makes the car make more hp and torque on the brake will help it climb that rpm you need. Every small bit helps.

It may need to be loosened, but I was just reccomending to try tuning for it first and testing with it.
True true and true. I want dual real calipers but they are $$$$$$$. I have a tough time being accurate with my brake boosting because it pushes my car too easy with the stock brakes. I might try adjusting the bias a little more towards the rear but I don't want them locking up at 150mph+ on the big end!

I have noticed it spools much faster if I can get some heat in the turbo before I get on the brake.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know alot of people on this site disagree with my results and it might not be applicable since i have a much smaller turbo (mpt70 on a stock LT1)

But for ***** and giggles give this a try. Set the 2 step below your stall speed, richen it up to approx 10:1 a/f ratio, and drop the timing to almost nothing.

I can get 5 psi @ 2200 rpm
Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

so wheres the darn video?!? lol
Old 09-10-2009, 09:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my starting line timing is 30...bout to try 35 and then 40 degrees and my a/f is 13:1 before it hits the 2 step and shows leaner. On a protree i bump in on the footbrake and ebrake at 2600rpms at 2 psi then jump on the tbrake on 2nd bulb. I have the lingenfelter lnc-003 that has 2 different steps
Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 AM

nintres.... just fyi if you sit on the two step it will build more boost. so if it only makes 4.5psi initially at 3000 but you sit at 3000 for a few more sec it will keep building boost.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see your converter is rated at 3600rpms. What does your converter stall to RIGHT when you floor the car on the Tbrake?
Stalls to 2800 on initial whack and then takes like 1/2 sec to get to 3600 (this was all done with the turbo not installed). With the turbo the converter is really tight driving around but loose on the t-brake and really tight again up top (too tight in my case, need more power). The new lingenfelter 2 stage launch controller should really help out spooling since you can set one limiter on the foot brake and another limiter for the trans brake. I prestage the car on the foot brake and then bump in and grab the trans brake. Spools much faster that way.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sujomatt
so wheres the darn video?!? lol
x2
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

I can't run any boost "launch control" in my class. I sat on the 2 step for a couple seconds and it didn;t seem to build more boost once it got to 4.5psi. Regardless, I won;t have anymore time than that anyway in a race.

I din;t play with it but maybe 2 or 3 "stall ups". I was in a rush to get home. I won;t have another chance to tinker with it until next week. I also will not have an opportunity to have rick tune it until this winter. I only have 1 race at the end of this month then my car is coming apart to sell the kit/trans for my winter upgrades.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club

[youtube]G8ysZWAx470[/youtube]
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^lol
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

hey i didn't know that was this car there... i was the kid with the s10... awesome car, it looked and sounded awesome... o and it sounds sweet on the 2 step!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by extremetoy
hey i didn't know that was this car there... i was the kid with the s10... awesome car, it looked and sounded awesome... o and it sounds sweet on the 2 step!

Quick Reply: Ninetres 2-step installed!!!!!!!