Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

402 APS kit with LG's new turbo up and running

Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 402 APS kit with LG's new turbo up and running

Well we finally got my car up and running with Louis's new turbos this last weekend. Car is running great have some small issues to work out with the inlet tubes. We had put some peices of oval 3in tubing in there hoping to keep the inlet tubes from collapsing but now they are collapsing where the inlet changes from oval to round.

Will get numbers by next week shooting for 1000rw this time around. We made 837rwhp and 944rwtq last go around at 15psi with APS's crap turbos that fell apart after the first dyno .

Thanks to Louis I am up and running again.

Will keep everyone updated.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! keep us updated, there are quite a few people on here that are looking to do the same thing as you, me included. Would you mind posting up the rest of the things about your motor?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First run and they died? I could call ASP and raise hell! What size are the new turbos?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Turbos did fine on 9psi when we turned it up to 15psi and put it on the dyno is when they crapped out thats APS for you.

Motor is
6.0L iron block 402
Ported LQ9 Heads
Callies Crank
Callies Rods
Diamond turbo Pistons
Custom grind cam
Fast intake

Last edited by OneMean01; 09-11-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great news on getting them in and running. Finally getting to see someone running them,dynoing them,etc and someone with similar build. Obviously are cars are close with 402/408, fast intakes , not sure on cams and have the afr versus your lg9 heads but still should make a decent comparison. And not sure what compression you are at ,I am 9.5 to 1.
Forget now were you on meth on that last run? What size injector and fuel pressure?

I would expect the new turbos might give close to 9xx rwhp at 15psi since they flow a lot more air.

Thats not so great news on the stents. I stented mine in center think similarly just put forced the stents into center of the inlets. I think it would have been easier to cut the tubing and put in much longer stents and then simply step on the tubes and crush the stents to fit better as its bitch to turn those stents and started to be hard on the inside of the inlets.
It would be nice if person could use some other tubing or could mabye put filters right on the turbos but they would not get as much cold air that way don't think.

Anyway please get us anxious guys some numbers with the LG snails. I was planning on doing them over winter season but may just have to use the old credit card and do them a bit sooner if you guys see the results I am expecting you to see.

Any more info on tuning would be nice too.afr, max timing..tips and tricks.. I have 60s for temp use but do still have some low impedence 120s that can use. Or would sell them and go to 80s if they will do the job.Looks pretty close to 80s if you don't crank up the fuel pressure and not sure how safe you can take the siemens 80s past 80% duty cycle.

Anyway you are the first here to put the new LG turbos on . Barnat and hopefully Tomz28 will be also operational with them shortly.Damn it..if didn't have to get my 4l80 now could have upgraded my snails sooner too. Only good news is my aps originals still seem to be working...well if you count running them oil cooled only for 5000 miles from day they were installed due to one being internally cracked working. But at least they are still boosting,not hitting the housings and no spyhunter smokescreens so far. But also keeping them at base 7.5psi.Boring but hoping to baby them till end october,then don't care.

Maybe you can also for curiousity dyno at same boost level as last time? And what springs do you have in the gates the 7.5 base springs? I am curious how much person can get them to go usually its about double the base spring they you have to step up.
So 10 would likely get a guy 20psi, 7.5 only 15. Might vary a bit depending on what boost controller person is running. Also curious what would be max boost out of these LG on a 402 or 408. Would think airflow will max out likely around 20psi which would think should be close to 1100rwhp maybe?? Guess see what you find.

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 09-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it's running again. I am interested to see the results. May have to either rebuild or upgrade my turbo's this winter. After 2 yrs & 24k miles I may have finally worn them out.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Great! I'd love to drive up to you and see your car in person, but I'm stuck working all weekend and it's a 7 hr drive But if you're coming to the Las Cruces / El Paso area anytime soon, let me know!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Great news on getting them in and running. Finally getting to see someone running them,dynoing them,etc and someone with similar build. Obviously are cars are close with 402/408, fast intakes , not sure on cams and have the afr versus your lg9 heads but still should make a decent comparison. And not sure what compression you are at ,I am 9.5 to 1.
Forget now were you on meth on that last run? What size injector and fuel pressure?

I would expect the new turbos might give close to 9xx rwhp at 15psi since they flow a lot more air.

Thats not so great news on the stents. I stented mine in center think similarly just put forced the stents into center of the inlets. I think it would have been easier to cut the tubing and put in much longer stents and then simply step on the tubes and crush the stents to fit better as its bitch to turn those stents and started to be hard on the inside of the inlets.
It would be nice if person could use some other tubing or could mabye put filters right on the turbos but they would not get as much cold air that way don't think.

Anyway please get us anxious guys some numbers with the LG snails. I was planning on doing them over winter season but may just have to use the old credit card and do them a bit sooner if you guys see the results I am expecting you to see.

Any more info on tuning would be nice too.afr, max timing..tips and tricks.. I have 60s for temp use but do still have some low impedence 120s that can use. Or would sell them and go to 80s if they will do the job.Looks pretty close to 80s if you don't crank up the fuel pressure and not sure how safe you can take the siemens 80s past 80% duty cycle.

Anyway you are the first here to put the new LG turbos on . Barnat and hopefully Tomz28 will be also operational with them shortly.Damn it..if didn't have to get my 4l80 now could have upgraded my snails sooner too. Only good news is my aps originals still seem to be working...well if you count running them oil cooled only for 5000 miles from day they were installed due to one being internally cracked working. But at least they are still boosting,not hitting the housings and no spyhunter smokescreens so far. But also keeping them at base 7.5psi.Boring but hoping to baby them till end october,then don't care.

Maybe you can also for curiousity dyno at same boost level as last time? And what springs do you have in the gates the 7.5 base springs? I am curious how much person can get them to go usually its about double the base spring they you have to step up.
So 10 would likely get a guy 20psi, 7.5 only 15. Might vary a bit depending on what boost controller person is running. Also curious what would be max boost out of these LG on a 402 or 408. Would think airflow will max out likely around 20psi which would think should be close to 1100rwhp maybe?? Guess see what you find.
Yeah will have to see about the inlet tubes we are thinking about making a mold or something out of them and make them out of fiberglass. Just some little ideas. Yeah as for boost we couldnt push it past 15psi last time because of the springs but we put in some 10# springs and will be pushing 18-20psi whatever the motor likes I am running just race gas with double pump and 79 high impedance injectors they did fine last go around we will see where they are at and how far we can take them.
Car runs great right now but just have to work out the inlet problem cause cant go past 10psi with this stupid problem. Dont know when we will dyno it cause my buddy just got his dyno today still have to put it all together and in place.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Would have thought the stents would have worked fine. You could maybe simple cut the tubes in half and then insert much longer stents. It was pain and limiting trying to insert stents and they having to turn them in the inlets. It was scraping up the inlets and took a long time of messing around with tools. was scared would put screwdriver thru side or tear one up bad and not sure how easy to get new inlets now.
The nice thing about that 3 inch oval pipe is is crushes down nice with a foot.Direct filters on turbos might work?? But would think they would get much hotter air.

Are you sure they are still sucking shut..not some boost leak or something . Others have gone pretty far past 10psi and blown turbos or run them for awhile.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The issues with the inlet tubes fitting the bigger turbo inlets can be corrected by placeing a 2 1/2" exhaust pipe in the ends of the hoses maybe 2 1/2" or 3'' long and open them up to the 2 3/4 or alittle bigger with an exhaust machine opener or what ever there called LOL and put the piped ends of the hoses in boiling water for 10 minutes or so and let cool or cool them instantly by placeing the ends in ice water !I did mine 10 or 15 times and now the ends are perfect Make sure you lube the hoses up real good with grease or vasaline before putting and opening the pipes up!!!because it makes getting them out alot easyer and it lets the hose slide around the pipe as its being opened up so there not being dry fucked LOL!

Last edited by barnat; 09-13-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heres what i did to my stock hoses (Which Worked) before i just bought the upgraded ones last year!
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...at/APS%20Hose/
As you can see from the pics ,,,,when you tighten down these band clamps ,,,,,it forces the tops down ,thus forceing the oval sides of the hose out and makes its impossible for them to collapes. Its more or less a reverse stent.It also protects the drivers hose from the steering shaft knuckel from digging into it (as some of us have found out ) LOL

Last edited by barnat; 09-13-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Is there a reason no one has replicated the intakes out of aluminum?

Do they need to remain flexible to be installed?

Has anyone tried inserting a thin wire diameter coil spring the length of the tube?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Yeah we are either going to look into putting some more pipe inside it or just making it out of aluminum. Either way the guys at Boost will get it worked out for me.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

OK good news car is finally running great. It was the passenger side inlet hose sucking shut near the turbo got a stent put in it and magic it works now. Car runs freaking strong tunned on 18psi with LG's new turbos. Should have some numbers in a week or so my buddy George at Boost Performance just got his new dyno so working some things out hope to see it on the dyno this next weekend.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

GREAT NEWS,Anxiously waiting your dyno results.Can you maybe get some different boost range dyno runs like 10,15, 18psi..?
Be nice to see what they are going to do at various boost levels.

Also forget are you running scavenger pump? If not then want to know if you are getting any smoke or not.

Also would like more on if you notice much difference in spool up or maybe if you can log spool up if you run htpuners would be curious to get idea on that.

And of course real test is to see how these things last as time goes by.

So you just put in an additional piece of 3 inch oval? or 3 inch round pipe. Can you be a bit more specific. So you don' t think drivers side is problem now. I just stented like you did, 3 inch ovals in center of the inlets.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Some people are trying to tell me I can't make 1000rwhp without lifting heads on my 6.0 iron block with my afr 225s. Do you think you can do 1000rwhp and not lift your heads on your build at that power level. ??
I would think timing in the tune is more important maybe in whether the heads lift.
Nice to have someone being a pioneer.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm also like to see how good the fast works at 18psi or more. I put in burst panels because of my nitrous and now a bit more worried they might go out . So far fine at 8 but thats baby boost.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anxiously waiting your dyno results as well! Great build!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Just my 2 cents: I have a APS kit on my car running 12 pounds making 740HP on a very safe tune. (10.5 a/f, 15 degrees timing on race gas)
Has anyone had issues with the big turbos, or have all the failures been on the small 20Gs?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Some people are trying to tell me I can't make 1000rwhp without lifting heads on my 6.0 iron block with my afr 225s. Do you think you can do 1000rwhp and not lift your heads on your build at that power level. ??
I would think timing in the tune is more important maybe in whether the heads lift.
Nice to have someone being a pioneer.
I believe mine is at or above 1000rwhp just running on race gas mix. Also just on 79lb high impedance injectors at 80% duty cycle. I believe it is all just in the tunner I have no problems with mine put about 100 miles on it today and was not very lite on the car LOL.
No problems with it smoking or anything we didnt do a scavenger pump we just got some better lines to put in there. I think that we shouldnt have any problems with these new turbos.
Last time with the crap APS turbos at 14psi it did 837rwph and 944rwtq on 50mm turbos now with LG's 60's and doing 18psi it should do 1000rwph no problem. I dont care about the numbers to much I just want the car to pull its *** off on the street

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 402 APS kit with LG's new turbo up and running