Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost Spike! - 427TT - Damn HKS EVC IV let me down - Need EBC recommendations..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost Spike! - 427TT - Damn HKS EVC IV let me down - Need EBC recommendations..

427ci / twin GT28r71 / Internally gated / EVC 6 (newest model)
Boost holds rock steady on 8psi wastegate springs.

Went to the track and set the HKS at 10psi.. Results posted above. The stepper motor will not open the wastegates soon/fast enough and it overshoots the target boost. 4th gear shut the controller off due to a 13.5psi boost warning. Tried changing "sensitivity" on the EVC and it made no difference.

I'm looking at the Eboost2 and the AMS 1000. The AMS looks to be overkill for a 600-700rw street car that will only see the track a few times per year.

Any recommendations for these or other EBC's that will work with a fast spooling twin turbo setup on a big motor? I'm thinking I need a solenoid type controller to get the FAST (<.5 sec) response I need to stop these spikes.
Scott

Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow those are small turbos for a 427.

Earlier this year i bought an Incon kit with Gt2871r's and was told that anything over a 346 would make for a horrible pressure ratio... even a 370. I ended up selling the kit.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Why not use a manual boost controller? Alot less headache and they work very well.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Regarding the MBC, I'm open to options but I'm afraid they will still spike if the valve is too slow. Since the turbos are small, I like the functionality of increasing the boost as efficiency drops to smooth the curve. I also have RPM, speed and TPS inputs so I can do some cool tricks for a street tire car.

I need something with a ramp rate or boost sensitivity that will allow the actuators to begin opening BEFORE the target boost so it doesn't overshoot.

We ported the **** out of the exhaust housings and the wastegates seemed to get the job done. I'd love to go to GT35s but the car is a C6 Corvette and there is no room without cutting the car up. I'd also like to go to external gates but again, the cats take all the room and they will not fit. So it is what it is, and it makes 625rw/700tq so the little turbos are getting the job done.

I just need a controller that will prevent the spikes!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS2TT
Regarding the MBC, I'm open to options but I'm afraid they will still spike if the valve is too slow. Since the turbos are small, I like the functionality of increasing the boost as efficiency drops to smooth the curve. I also have RPM, speed and TPS inputs so I can do some cool tricks for a street tire car.

I need something with a ramp rate or boost sensitivity that will allow the actuators to begin opening BEFORE the target boost so it doesn't overshoot.

We ported the **** out of the exhaust housings and the wastegates seemed to get the job done. I'd love to go to GT35s but the car is a C6 Corvette and there is no room without cutting the car up. I'd also like to go to external gates but again, the cats take all the room and they will not fit. So it is what it is, and it makes 625rw/700tq so the little turbos are getting the job done.

I just need a controller that will prevent the spikes!
I don't think a different controller is your problem. I think that the turbo's are just to small and the internal WG's are not allowing enough exhaust flow to exit causing your boost to creep or spike! To big of a motor for those small turbo's. A boost spike is usually caused by to small of a wastegate.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Default On wastegates...

Here is a log of the car with the controller off.
8psi springs - actual boost is 7.7psi max.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Teching In

I ran the car today with boost set at 8psi and building to 10psi after 5000rpms. Just as a test. The car made 8psi and then ramped to 10psi, as expected... but after the shift it still spiked to 11.5. So the boost controller is only looking for 8psi after the shift (<5000rpm) and it still spikes to 11.5?

Seems either the stepper motor is too slow or the wastegates can't bypass enough exhaust when the boost goes to 10psi.

I need a concrete test to determine where the issue is so I don't waste money on another boost controller that may or may not fix my issue. Any other opinions or ideas?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Coal Mining Director

I ran a 427 with GT2871R's for a year without any problems with a EB2. Had 8psi springs and it held 8-17psi steady without problems. Best was a 9.9 at 141mph at 17psi.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onfire
I ran a 427 with GT2871R's for a year without any problems with a EB2. Had 8psi springs and it held 8-17psi steady without problems. Best was a 9.9 at 141mph at 17psi.
Were you running T25 flanges with internal wastegates?
Any boost spikes?
Do any data logging?
Were you running dual solenoids on the Eboost2?

I ask because the spikes I'm seeing are so short <.5 sec that you might not catch them on a gauge.
But they still cause my car to go lean/detonate/pull timing.

If not, then I might be in the market for an Eboost2.
Thanks for the input.
Scott

Last edited by LS2TT; 09-18-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Another note.. The car went 10.6@141 at 15psi (spike to 17psi).
The 60' was a 1.98 and I saw a spike to 17psi on the shifts...
Didn't have my hptuners cable so I was scared to run it again.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I don't think a different controller is your problem. I think that the turbo's are just to small and the internal WG's are not allowing enough exhaust flow to exit causing your boost to creep or spike! To big of a motor for those small turbo's. A boost spike is usually caused by to small of a wastegate.
hit the nail on the head, changing controllers is just a bandaid for a bullet wound IMO. the car is screaming for external gates, or a stronger actuator but even then im not a huge fan of internal gates so my answer is biased.
a MBC might be better but your still not solving the problem just treating the symptoms.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by subarubill96
hit the nail on the head, changing controllers is just a bandaid for a bullet wound IMO. the car is screaming for external gates, or a stronger actuator but even then im not a huge fan of internal gates so my answer is biased.
a MBC might be better but your still not solving the problem just treating the symptoms.
I agree 100%.. But there is just no room and I can't justify reworking the turbo system and cutting up a new car.
If I can find a bandaid that will let me enjoy the car, I can live cheating a 1000hp engine with a 700hp turbo system.

I just want to find the best bandaid available.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Greedy profec B II EBC and it works great no spikes just nice flat boost curve. has high /low boost setting and overboost warning which can be programed to reduce boost.

Was put onto them by a mate who runs a drift car, and builds and modifys jap race cars. said he had tried all sorts of different controllers and the greedy was the only one that wouldn't spike on his car.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by LS2TT
Were you running T25 flanges with internal wastegates?
Any boost spikes?
Do any data logging?
Were you running dual solenoids on the Eboost2?

I ask because the spikes I'm seeing are so short <.5 sec that you might not catch them on a gauge.

If not, then I might be in the market for an Eboost2.
Thanks for the input.
Scott
Don't get a MBC as it has no method to control spikes on a small gated turbo.

Yes to all above except the spikes. Use EB2 with rpm boost control and set a boost curve vs rpm instead of "all in by 3000rpm" like a mbc. It will make your car quicker by keeping the boost down at lower rpm with 427ci.

Just set up a LPE car last week at the track with 346ci and GT2871R's and a EB2. Car ran 10.3 at 138mph at 3000ft da at 15psi....with a 6 speed...ran out of injector....at a "real track" that car would go 9.9 at 142mph....at 3700lbs....
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Coal Mining Director

That needs to be tuned out of the car.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Coal Mining Director

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...138_707206.htm
Old 09-18-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johnv
I have a Greedy profec B II EBC and it works great no spikes just nice flat boost curve. has high /low boost setting and overboost warning which can be programed to reduce boost.

Was put onto them by a mate who runs a drift car, and builds and modifys jap race cars. said he had tried all sorts of different controllers and the greedy was the only one that wouldn't spike on his car.
Profec B II here too.... doesnt have fancy features but it holds steady pressure and is easy to switch between a high and low settings

Quick Reply: Boost Spike! - 427TT - Damn HKS EVC IV let me down - Need EBC recommendations..