Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo camaro?

I need some advice from the FI guys. I now can afford a low mileage Camaro SS. This has been my dream car since High School. Should I just go with the Camaro and go with a STS turbo kit right away? Or just buy a C5 coupe or even C5Z? I now have a career where I can afford the Vette or buy the Camaro and start modding. (Wasnt sure where to post this. I find it to be a valid question)
Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd decide what your goals are for the car and go from there. I will say one thing the look on a vette owners face when a turbo camaro eats their lunch in priceless. On the other hand the vette would be plenty quick and less potential problems.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

all i can say theres nothing like the feel of a turbo when the boost kicks in. i just had a vette owner say my turbo camaro was fast but not that fast lol the look on his face when we hit the next light after i pulled like 10 cars on him was priceless.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sslateron
I need some advice from the FI guys. I now can afford a low mileage Camaro SS. This has been my dream car since High School. Should I just go with the Camaro and go with a STS turbo kit right away? Or just buy a C5 coupe or even C5Z? I now have a career where I can afford the Vette or buy the Camaro and start modding. (Wasnt sure where to post this. I find it to be a valid question)
I have a modded c5z that runs high 11s at 122 n/a and it has a bottle. I also have a turbo charged SS that runs high 10s, Possible mid tens with more seat time. 4 passes so far.

Seeing I have both. I'm gonna say go with the turbo camaro, only if you have a big budget or just like replacing everything one by one because the turbo makes so much torque your whole driveline needs replaced. On the other hand, you can drive in style in the z06. I switch off alot, I don't like how flat the power feels on the z06 and how it doesn't weight transfer. But you can't beat the look and sound of it. Has $1200 mufflers
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Haha awesome! I'm just keeping my options open. I may even opt for a C6Z. This business is very lucrative. I have all winter to save up. Sounds like the Turbo Camaro would be a blast, and can hang with the big dogs up to a certain point. I just want a fun fast car that's a real kick to drive. The STS system sounds like a spaceship! Would freak out the average joe.

What would a mid 400 WHP SS run in the quarter?

Last edited by sslateron; 09-19-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Haha awesome! I'm just keeping my options open. I may even opt for a C6Z. This business is very lucrative. I have all winter to save up. Sounds like the Turbo Camaro would be a blast, and can hang with the big dogs up to a certain point. I just want a fun fast car that's a real kick to drive. The STS system sounds like a spaceship! Would freak out the average joe.

What would a mid 400 WHP SS run in the quarter?
full weight? Suspension being good. I'd say 11.4 at 118 with Stalled Auto, 11.7 at 120 with m6. I paid cash for my cars, the Vette is hard to sell, market sucks. I let my friend drive it to a car show today with me following and I forgot why I wanted to sell it.

I drive the Camaro way more then the c5z.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Wow 11's is blazing quick. There is also a basically new 06 GTO I could score for about 15k come spring time. Having a car that can run with bullet bikes is plenty fast for me.

You say you drive the Camaro more when it says the Vette is your daily driver?

Last edited by sslateron; 09-20-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Wow 11's is blazing quick. There is also a basically new 06 GTO I could score for about 15k come spring time. Having a car that can run with bullet bikes is plenty fast for me.

You say you drive the Camaro more when it says the Vette is your daily driver?
Vette is my daily, Since the camaro keeps breaking lol. Spent 5500 in the last month just trying to fix everything that breaks. It's back on the road and better then ever now.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

You hear much on the STS GTO's? The one on their site runs 10's. I'm not sure what motor work has been done.
Their customers GTO's beat up on bullet bikes. You know a car is fast when it can hang with sport bikes.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You hear much on the STS GTO's? The one on their site runs 10's. I'm not sure what motor work has been done.
Their customers GTO's beat up on bullet bikes. You know a car is fast when it can hang with sport bikes.
600's were in the past lol, I walked an 05 GSXR750 with my stock cam only STS @ 7.5psi in my car 3 times from a 45-50 roll. I think the lighter weighted platform of the f-body would be easier to make faster. Bikes are the only reason why I'm putting a 370/front mount/ M6 to th400 in the car
Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

@ 600's old school baby! I agree with the lightweight camaro easier to haul its about 250 lbs lighter I believe.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

@ 600's old school baby! I agree with the lightweight camaro easier to haul its about 250 lbs lighter I believe.
If you were really worried about weight, there are many ways to help that. I took all of my carpet out, all of the speakers, no head liner, no rear seats (selling stock leather powered ones in favor of lightweight ones), no radio, no ac or controls for either one, and i'll cut pieces off if need be. My car will be a purpose built roll car though ( I know people hate roll racing). My goal is to build a sick 60-130 car
Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

did you win racing the bike with the gutted interior? I still want full race weight. I don't want to sacrifice having a comfortable car to drive.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a c6 vette and I loved the car but it didn't fit a good platform for drag racing in my opinion. I planned a head and cam package for it and some suspension mods. All the motor stuff for them is the same as an f-body but for exhaust and suspension there is thing called a "vette tax". Everything in this category is double or triple the price compared to an f-body. Just like 01z28camaro said the Corsa mufflers I put on it cost 1200 bucks. I ended up trading it away for an f-body and cash. The f-body is more drag oriented being it has an auto in it.

For me the vette was more of a status symbol than anything. It turned heads and everything and it gets you chicks, but that **** gets old, when the cops start pulling you over because they think someone my age at the time (28) shouldn't be owning a c6. I am about to turbo the camaro in a bit and the plan is to have an 8 sec street car that can drive to the store and get groceries.

Do what you want to and buy what you want. You only live once. Do like 01z28Camaro and have both, that way you don't have to sacrifice anything. Good luck on your decision.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Eh. Depends on the rider really, I was dead even with a stock zx10, put a car on a busa from 30 to 140, Dead even with zx14 from 50 to 120, Kill 600s lol. I had one try a ricer fly by the other day and I was droped it in 3 while only doing 45 mph. It way down on rpms but it spiked to 15 psi. Car lifted way up and I was passed him at the top of 3rd gear.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i can say is stay away from the sts turbo system, i know allot of people that went that route and quickly sold it to get a front mount system. a maggie or a procharger is a much better option then sts in my view.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Whats wrong with STS?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

turbo is most efficient is when it is as close to the heat source as possible (the motor)

it is more efficient because when air hot there is more of it (hot air expands) and that helps the turbo spool and you will get much better response

when you place the turbo in the back where the muffler is the exhaust gases cool down because of all the piping they have to go threw and becasue air cools there is less of it.

not to mention all the piping for the intercooler that has to go from the back of the car to the front. that's got to kill some response, i see allot of high end drift cars and they try to make all the piping as short as possible for most response

and think about all the mess of running turbo feed line from the motor to the back of the car and the back from the turbo drain via scavanger pump back to the oil pan.

the sts turbo system is ok for poking around town on 8 psi with a small turbo, but once you bolt up a big t4 or a t6 you will have serious issues. that is just my personal opinion, i know there are lots of guys making big power with rear mounts.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard rear mount turbos take longer to spool and dont make the same power as a front mount with the same turbo. If you have the money you could get josh at kentucky turbo to do a custom front mount with turbo headers instead of truck mani's.

I say F it and get a C6 with a custom twin turbo setup and build the IRS.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ no ****, but i do not think he has the money to buy a c6 and turbo it.